Same NRA, Same NRA Playbook on Gun Control

nra_strategy

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From TPM:

The National Rifle Association has baffled some by fighting the post-Newtown push for gun control the same way it has in the past: digging in and refusing to give ground on anything, even wildly popular proposals like universal background checks.

On Thursday, NRA president David Keene explained the strategy: despite what people may think, he said, the aftermath of the school massacre in Newtown, Conn., is no different than past calls for gun legislation following a shooting. More than one observer has said that view misses the mark.

“Our opponents hope [this time is different] in the sense that they hope they can use emotion to achieve an anti-firearms agenda that they haven’t been able to achieve in the past,” Keene told reporters at a breakfast sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor. “I’ve always operated not just in my current incarnation but in previous incarnations in the assumption that people are smarter than politicians and that common sense ultimately prevails.”

Asked again if he thought things were different this time, Keene said “no.”

Enhanced by Zemanta