Obama Defends Drone Program in Google Hangout

obama_drones_google

The Daily Banter Headline Grab (from the Yahoo! News):

President Barack Obama defended his administration’s use of drones to target and assassinate Americans overseas believed to be working with terrorists, insisting the government is following the law on what it can and cannot do. But he admitted the public needs to know more about how the drone program works and what rules the administration is following.

“What I think is absolutely true is that it is not sufficient for citizens to just take my word for it that we are doing the right thing,” Obama said in an online chat sponsored by Google.

Asked if the United States could target a United States citizen on American soil, Obama said no.

“There has never been a drone used on an American citizen on American soil, and we respect and have a whole bunch of safeguards in terms of how we conduct counterterrorism in the United States,” Obama said.

But he said the rules outside the U.S.” are “different”—and said it was his responsibility as the president to work with Congress to implement a “mechanism” to be more forthcoming with the public so that people understand “what is going on, what the constraints are, (and) what the legal parameters are.”