Congress at Work

Since President Obama was first inaugurated in 2009, Congress has failed to pass a budget and the US government has

capitol hallway

A hallway i the US Capitol Building.

been operating under what is called a “continuing resolution” or CR.  This just means that the levels of spending remain the same from last year (or last time a budget was passed).  It is no way to run anything as these are being passed once every few months, leaving agencies with no idea how much money they will have but that is the subject for another post (don’t worry, it’s coming).

In any case, we seem to be in a cycle of going from one manufactured financial crisis to another.  Meanwhile, Congress keeps leaving town for recesses.  These are not what they sound like.  A Congressional recess is not the play break you may remember from elementary school.  Both sides of the Hill call them “constituent or district work periods,” and that is really what they are.  At the end of the day, the time they spend interacting with constituents is vitally important for everyone but so is the time they spend interacting with each other.  Members of Congress and Senators used to spend much more time with each other -- on both sides of the aisle.  We need more of that.  This allows them to not just mingle and socialize but get to know each other and it makes it a lot easier to work with someone you know.

So, I thought you might be interested in seeing their schedules.  These are not set in stone but you can get a good sense of how much value they place on time in Washington, which is clearly not much.

The House of Representative calendar is here.

The Senate calendar is here.