And so we are here?

If you are interested in politics, you know that former senator from Nebraska, Chuck Hagel, was pretty much cannibalized by Congress. This is the problem with absolutism. You might agree with Barry Goldwater when he said, “I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!”

chuck hagel

Perhaps not.  Perhaps we need to remember that our electeds represent us -- in theory -- the opposite of what is said is equally as valid.  Modernization is no vice and strict adherence to an ideology is no virtue.  I have grown up a lot since moving to Washington.

So we are this random space in time, to me -- as a Democrat, I am not used to seeing such discord on the the other side. Republicans oppose Chuck Hagel"s nomination to be the next Secretary of Defense.  They have some real issues, some personal (looking at you, John McCain) and some policy oriented (hello there, Lindsay Graham).

I talk about this all the time.  Politics SHOULD end at our borders.  It doesn’t.  And as a liberal Democrat, my views on this may be meaningless.  And then my partisanship will leap out at you - Sarah Palin had no business talking smack about the country she claims to love. (For the record, I do believe she loves America.)

But really? We cannot even acknowledge good ideas if they come from a party to which we do not belong?