Alabama Hostage Crisis Ends, Child Rescued Safely

hostage_crisis_ends

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From Huff Post:

The standoff between law enforcement and an Alabama man who held a boy in a bunker for seven days ended with the suspect dead and the 5-year-old safely rescued, a law enforcement source told CNN.

Reports of an explosion at Jimmy Lee Dykes’ Midland City property came first on Monday afternoon, followed by media reports of the 65-year-old’s death.

The crisis began Jan. 29 when authorities say Dykes boarded a school bus and demanded that he take two boys between six and eight years old. The bus driver — Charles Albert Poland, Jr. — is hailed as a hero for putting himself between Dykes and the children. His valor cost him his life, as Dykes allegedly shot Poland several times before taking the 5-year-old boy from the bus.

“You didn’t deserve to die but you died knowing you kept everyone safe,” said a letter from a student on Poland’s bus that was read aloud at the bus driver’s funeral.

Enhanced by Zemanta

MEMBERS ONLY: The Death and Rebirth of a Cartoon About Pot and SpongeBob

MEMBERS ONLY: The Death and Rebirth of a Cartoon About Pot and SpongeBob

Whenever 4/20 rolls around, I occasionally rewind 11 years or so to a cartoon I directed and co-wrotRead more...
Jesus Was Pro Transgender and Almost Certainly Pro Gay

Jesus Was Pro Transgender and Almost Certainly Pro Gay

Last week, I wrote about a Christians pastor who condemned his friend and fellow pastor for disassocRead more...
Conservative Suggests Minimum Wage Protesters Should 'Eat Fewer Meals'

Conservative Suggests Minimum Wage Protesters Should 'Eat Fewer Meals'

One of the subtle but nastier implications of the "American Dream" narrative is that poor people havRead more...