The Second Term Begins

obama_sworn_in_280

obama_sworn_in

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From AP:

Declaring "our journey is not complete," President Barack Obama took the oath of office for his second term before a crowd of hundreds of thousands Monday, urging the nation to set an unwavering course toward prosperity and freedom for all its citizens and protect the social safety net that has sheltered the poor, elderly and needy.

"Our country cannot succeed when shrinking few do very well and a growing many barely make it," Obama said in a relatively brief, 18-minute address. "We believe that America's prosperity must rest upon the broad shoulders of a rising middle class," he added, echoing his calls from the presidential campaign that catapulted him to re-election.

The president declared a decade of war is ending, as is the economic recession that consumed much of his first term.

He previewed an ambitious second-term agenda, he devoted several sentences to the threat of global climate change and said that failure to confront it "would betray out children and future generations." Obama's focus on climate change was notable given that he barely dealt with the issue in his first term.

Enhanced by Zemanta