Quote of the Day: Writing About Yourself is not Journalism

Well, it’s not all about that at least. Hamilton Nolan at Gawker:

Writing about yourself can be part of a balanced journalism diet, but it sure ain’t a whole fucking meal. By plundering your own life for material, you are not investing in yourself as a writer; you’re spending the principal. Soon, it will all be used up. There is nothing more painful to watch than a writer desperately grasping at ever less-important aspects of their own lives in order to make word counts, until they must simultaneously eat lunch and be writing about eating that lunch at the same time. It is the most small-minded interpretation of “journalism” there is. It is sad.

California Ballot Measure Would Criminalize Transgender Citizens for Using Appropriate Toilet

California Ballot Measure Would Criminalize Transgender Citizens for Using Appropriate Toilet

How do we know the last remaining anti-LGBT crusaders have completely lost their shpadoinkle? The moRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The Death and Rebirth of a Cartoon About Pot and SpongeBob

MEMBERS ONLY: The Death and Rebirth of a Cartoon About Pot and SpongeBob

Whenever 4/20 rolls around, I occasionally rewind 11 years or so to a cartoon I directed and co-wrotRead more...
Jesus Was Pro Transgender and Almost Certainly Pro Gay

Jesus Was Pro Transgender and Almost Certainly Pro Gay

Last week, I wrote about a Christians pastor who condemned his friend and fellow pastor for disassocRead more...

Comments are closed.