Prince Harry has Killed People

prince-harry-e1348545476742

In a series of interviews Prince Harry has confirmed that he has fired on the Taliban while stationed in Afghanistan. From the Guardian:

A commander of the army's most sophisticated attack helicopter, the prince said he had fired on the Taliban during operations to support ground troops and rescue injured Afghan and Nato personnel. His remarks may be seized upon by insurgents to stir anti-British sentiment, but the prince said he was only doing his job. Most of the time the helicopter acted more as a deterrent, he said.

"If there's people trying to do bad stuff to our guys, then we'll take them out of the game, I suppose," he said. "Take a life to save a life … the squadron's been out here. Everyone's fired a certain amount."

Regardless of whether you agree with the concept of Royalty or the war in Afghanistan, Prince Harry deserves some respect. He may be a ridiculously privileged elite who grew up with no concept of how other people live, but he is putting his life on the line in ways most people could never imagine. Tony Blair authored the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and his sons were not required to go into battle. Perhaps if they had been, Britain would have avoided the disastrous wars. It's not often the Royal Family does anything of real value to British society, but Harry's service really is a symbol of sacrifice and humility. It's sad he's doing it in an absurd war that has left much of the region in ruins alongside thousands of unnecessary deaths. But at least it shows that the Royal family still has an understanding of commitment to its country.