Pentagon Set to Allow Women to Serve in Combat

women_in_combat_280

women_in_combat

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From TPM:

Women in the Army and Marines will no longer be banned from combat roles under new guidelines from departing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.

According to multiple reports, the new rules would be implemented gradually and give the military service branches until 2016 to voice any concerns about specific positions.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI), a combat veteran herself, hailed the change as “historic” in a statement on Wednesday.

“I have had the honor of serving with incredibly talented female soldiers who, if given the opportunity, would serve as great assets in our ground combat units,” Gabbard said. “It is crucial that we shed light on the great value and opportunities that these women bring.”

Enhanced by Zemanta