Obama Surges, Sean Hannity Plunges and Tom Tancredo Promises to get High

Andrew Sullivan remarks on what he sees as the 'tectonic impact' of Obama's reelection:

It's not just the return to Clinton tax rates for the very wealthy; it's a real cultural shift as well. In the last week, we have seen the Boy Scouts back off a national policy of excluding openly gay scouts and scout-masters (which means the Mormon hierarchy must have not made too big a fuss);we have Tom Tancredo almost smoking a joint in public (don't make a bet with him on anything in the future); we have Sean Hannity's ratings plummeting; we see gay couples included in the president's comprehensive immigration reform; we have Limbaugh edging ever-so-slightly toward Rubio on immigration; and we have this somewhat astounding "favorable/unfavorable" chart for the president:

Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 12.28.31 PM

It is interesting to watch the gun lobby going all out on the President using the same scare tactics Republicans tried in Obama's first term. If the above is anything to go by, it may actually work against them. Obama appears to have learned how to handle the incessant screeching of the far right, not only temperamentally, but politically. The President simply shifts the debate onto Democrat territory, making the Right come to him, and not the other way around. It's not rocket science (the Republicans have been doing this for decades), but it works.