I See An Elephant Raising Taxes

dumbo-flying

“I saw a peanut stand,
Heard a rubber band,
I saw a needle that winked it’s eye.
But I think I will have seen everything
When I see an elephant fly.”
When I See An Elephant Fly, Dumbo, 1941

There’s a lot of silliness associated with the whole “fiscal cliff” fiasco. Basically Washington backed itself into a corner and made a last minute agreement because the far right held a temper tantrum that led to the U.S. credit rating being lowered. It’s silliness from start to finish.

That said, I never thought I’d see the Republican party – overwhelmingly in the Senate – actually vote for a tax increase on anyone, let alone the rich. Sure, I would rather the thresholds be set at $250,000 instead of $400,000 and $450,000 but you pass what can pass now. We simply do not have a parliamentary majority to pass the legislation liberals would get in an ideal world.

We’ve certainly seen a template set here by the right, that no matter the outcome of a national election, never mind that their chosen candidate has yet again lost the popular vote by a margin of several million votes (over 5 million and counting), they remain wedded to their ideology and party over any sense of patriotism or civic duty. While I believe in strong progressivism, that is a bridge too far for any movement to cross.

But Obama and Biden got the GOP to vote for tax increases. Not perfect by any stretch, but a step forward.

  • samiam

    Frank Cuffman. You still fucking goats you disgusting pig

    • Copypasta Alfredo

      Hi, fool.

  • Burn

    Keep it up, Dufthy. Facebook canned you once, and I guess you are going 2 for 2. Ask yourself, why is it so important to personally insult people you’ve never met? Is this really how you want to spend your time and energy?

    • samiam

      Hey Burn. FUCK YOU jerk off. You are such a pussy. What is your name. Eric???? Faggot

    • enlightened liberal

      He’s mentally ill obviously. These are the kinds of people who shouldn’t own firearms.

      • samiam

        Unlike you unenlightened, we use hands and not guns. You want to try some,jerkoff?

  • SaveFarris

    There’s a lot of silliness associated with the whole “fiscal cliff” fiasco.

    Indeed. And that includes your story.

    The Senate vote occured at 2 AM New Years Day. Which means, technically speaking, the old tax cuts expired. And the vote wasn’t to raise existing rates on “the rich”, but to enact brand new rates on everyone else. So your whole “Republicans voted to raise taxes” nonsense is nothing but a sham.

    Which leaves one remaining question: now that “increasing taxes on the rich” is off the table, how are you guys gonna pay for all this?

    • db

      “how are you guys gonna pay for all this?”

      The same way you paid for the Iraq & Afghan War?

      Seriously Farris, silly word games are beneath you. A tax increase at 23:59 doesn’t become a tax cut at 02:00.

      • samiam

        DB,

        You really are clueless aren’t you. Hopefully the next terrorist attack is in your hometown. You FOOKIN loser

        Sam I am

    • Buzz Killington

      Did I miss Republicans actually giving the specific cuts to entitlements and defense necessary to close the budget gap? I admit I had stopped listening.

    • SaveFarris

      The same way you paid for the Iraq & Afghan War?

      We “paid for” the wars by growing the economyat a MUCH faster clip than the currect Obama malaise. From 2003 to 2007, the deficit shrank. Remind me again, were we in Iraq & Afghanistan during those years?

      Seriously Farris, silly word games are beneath you. A tax increase at 23:59 doesn’t become a tax cut at 02:00.

      It does if the tax rates change at 0:00.

      Did I miss Republicans actually giving the specific cuts to entitlements and defense necessary to close the budget gap?

      Yeah, the Ryan plan and the sequester. We’ve also brought chained CPI, raising the retirement age, capping exemptions, and other ideas to the table.

      Granted, they’re but a drop in the bucket. But it’s still better than the Democrat’s plan of “Hey, who’s up for more stimulus spending?”

      • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/froth-slosh-bgosh/ Ol-Froth

        The deficit shrank from 2003 to 2007?? WTF are you smoking? Bush was handed a SURPLUS when he took office, and turned it into a deficit before first plane hit the WTC. The deficit increased every year from 2001 through 2008. I don’t want my reply stuck in moderation, so I suggest you check out w-w-w treasurydirect DOT gov

        • enlightened liberal

          No, the deficit really shrank. Just like my debt shrank last year because I decided not to count my car and my Visa bill as debt. That’s all it took!

      • Buzz Killington

        “Granted, they’re but a drop in the bucket.”

        See, that’s a no. Simpson-Bowles was an actual solution. As long as it is considered laughable, there’s no point in taking anybody seriously about debt reduction. At least Democrats don’t pretend like it’s their #1 concern.

  • enlightened liberal

    There is certainly a lot of problems with this bill, namely we’ll have to do all of this all over again with the faux “debt ceiling” problem in a few months. But there is a lot of good also:

    – AMT fix is permanent.
    – Doc fix for Medicare.
    – Extension of UI.
    – Earned Income Tax Credit is restored.

    Also 85 House Republicans voted to increase taxes on the rich. The rest voted to raise taxes on everyone. Hopefully this puts that Grover Norquist nonsense to rest finally. Also, there will be 85 House Republicans primaried by teabaggers, which means a decent percentage of those seats will flip Dem in 2014. Slow progress, but progress.

  • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/froth-slosh-bgosh/ Ol-Froth

    Completly off-topic, but I’m finally able to log in! Yay!

    On topic, I wonder if Orange Julius can get his caucus to vote for this. I’m not terribly happy with this bill, but I suspect its the best that can be accomplished at this time. Meanwhile, if the House rejects it, then they’re on record for raising taxes on everyone AND doubling the price of milk.

  • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/froth-slosh-bgosh/ Ol-Froth

    Dufty, you are entitled to your own opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts.

  • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/froth-slosh-bgosh/ Ol-Froth

    Do any of you have jobs or do you just hang ou on the Internet stalking and bullying all day long?
    Pot, meet kettle.