Harry Reid & The Repeating Collapse

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: Harry Reid screwed up again. This time it was, once again, allowing the minority party in the Senate to have a free hand to gum up the works.

harry-reid-hands-upReid refused to reform filibuster rules in the Senate in any meaningful way, because the election season’s over, his position is secure and screw you.

It’s not as if people are asking for the filibuster to die completely, but that senators simply have to show up and actually do the deed.

If you really oppose legislation or other Senate business so badly, then have the guts to stand up and do it.

My own Senator, Barbara Mikulski, put it well: “If you want to filibuster in the Senate, you should be on floor making your case. Show up or shut up.”

(I’m biased, but I’m pretty sure a Majority Leader Mikulski wouldn’t be this disappointing on such a consistent basis)

Reid, as usual, gave the cowards in the body a way out.

And the argument that Republicans would use this power doesn’t wash. That’s the point. If, as I noted on Twitter today, Sen. Elizabeth Warren opposed the nomination of Liz Cheney to Secretary of State under President Marco Rubio, I think she should have to defend it on the floor. Under the Reid Rules, a cowardly senator from Nevada (or some other state) can simply obstruct senate business without putting his or her name to it.

The fig leaf Reid put out to cover his rear on this capitulation basically argues that the GOP will go against type and be the good guys.

Not even Harry Reid is naïve enough to believe that. Fooled, again. But that’s what Senator Reid always does.

Sure, he’s better than Sharron Angle would have been in the same seat. But on days like today? Just barely.

Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny Just Had a Twitter Exchange Guaranteed To Make <em>X-Files</em> Fans Cheer

Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny Just Had a Twitter Exchange Guaranteed To Make X-Files Fans Cheer

You probably know by now that The X-Files is coming back to TV. Fox has ordered six new episodes of Read more...
Aasif Mandvi's Scathing Speech at the RTCA Dinner Shows He Can Take Over <em>The Daily Show</em>

Aasif Mandvi's Scathing Speech at the RTCA Dinner Shows He Can Take Over The Daily Show

On Wednesday night, comic and regular Daily Show correspondent Aasif Mandvi took the podium at the 2Read more...
Best Of Banter: Ted Cruz's Biggest Obamacare Lies, Bone Broth Is Dumb, and Dick Cheney Is Back From the Undead

Best Of Banter: Ted Cruz's Biggest Obamacare Lies, Bone Broth Is Dumb, and Dick Cheney Is Back From the Undead

Cower in fear, Banter-ites, for the prophesied plague of a Ted Cruz presidential campaign is upon usRead more...
  • Lazarus Durden

    Eh this was to be expected. Why would Senators want to give up their power even on the Democratic side of the aisle? Historically Senators have always been a mixed bag but one thing that’s always consistent is they like their status and power. So does the President. It’s just human nature so this isn’t surprising.

  • Christopher Foxx

    … but that senators simply have to show up and actually do the deed.

    Amen to that. Allowing any single senator to stop the entire senate in its tracks by, literally, phoning it in is shameful.

  • http://twitter.com/ursulas ursula

    Reid got something out of this lame deal. The question is “what did he get?”

    • Christopher Foxx

      Not having to grow a spine.