Chris Christie Slams NRA's Use of Obama Daughters in Video

christie_nra_video_280

christie_nra_video

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From TPM:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) took aim at the National Rifle Association at a Thursday press conference in Trenton.

Risking the ire of the conservative base of his party yet again, Christie called the recent NRA ad calling President Obama an “elitist hypocrite” because his daughters have armed guards at school “reprehensible.”

“To talk about the president’s children or any public officer’s children who have, not by their own choice, but by requirement to have protection and to use that somehow to try to make a poetical point I think is reprehensible,” Christie said.

The NRA has faced widespread criticism for the ad. NRA leaders have claimed the spot was not about Obama’s daughters, even though it makes direct reference to Obama’s children. Christie said the NRA risked its credibility with the ad.

“They’ve got real issues to debate on this topic. Get to the real issues,” Christie said. “Don’t be dragging people’s children into this. It’s wrong and I think it demeans them [the NRA] and it makes them less of a valid, trusted source of information on the real issues that confront this debate.”

Enhanced by Zemanta