By

Science’s 10 Biggest Discoveries in 2013 About Us, Wonderful Us

detroit20science20center-full

LiveScience published a list of the most interesting discoveries about human nature in the past year…

Kurt Cobain Remains Dead: Reflections on the State of Things – 2013

Photo of Kurt COBAIN and NIRVANA

We’ve moved into the Hyperreality age, what Umberto Eco called “the authentic fake”. 2013 was a year for fake scandals, The IRS tax scandal, Benghazi, and the Healthcare.gov rollout, just to name a few. The mainstream media gave up on holding the actual offenders accountable.

Amazing Body Atlas Shows Full Spectrum of Human Emotions

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 1.06.54 PM

A new study published today in the Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences suggests that our emotions do indeed influence our bodies in very specific ways (or at least we perceive it that way)

2013 Showed Fox News to be the Ultimate Anti Christian Organization

angry-bill-oreilly

The rise in popularity of Pope Francis in 2013 has created a very challenging proposition for Fox News, a supposedly pro Christian organization that relentlessly attacks the non religious. The problem with the new pope is that he prescribes a version of Christianity that actually has something to do with the teachings of Christ.

If Someone Is Watching, Should It Be The NSA?

1984-movie-big-brother

Over the last few months I’ve honestly wrestled with the implications of Edward Snowden’s national security leaks. The part I’m unambiguous about is that he clearly broke the law, exposed American security to enemy elements and is a traitor — not a whistleblower. I feel that I’m on pretty solid ground when it comes to… Read More

The Real, Official, Way-Better-Than-Chez’s List of the Best 20 Songs of 2013

housemeister-music-is-awesome

Without further ado, and with all disrespect in the world to Chez, here are the actual 20 Best Songs of 2013

13 Benghazis That Occurred on Bush’s Watch

benghazi_gate_lrg

With the publishing of The New York Times report about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi more than a year ago, as well as the ongoing “scandal” surrounding the Obama administration’s response, I thought I’d repost the following list of 13 attacks on U.S. embassies and consulates during the Bush years.

10 OkCupid Profile “Don’ts” to Heed If You Actually Want to Get Laid

okcupid

New Year’s resolutions are kind of bullshit, but a simple way to improve your 2014 as a single person is to banish these sex-repelling elements from your OkCupid profile.

The Daily Banter Awards 2013 Results!!!

breaking bad

The results are finally in!! Readers of The Daily Banter have weighed in with their highly valued opinions on all of the shenanigans that have gone on over the past year and voted on a vast array of topics including who they’d like to see ‘pass on’ and the biggest ‘America is fucked’ moment.

THE MORNING BANTER: Healthcare Signups, Russian Bombings, Music Industry Happenings, and Packers Wins

download

It’s the last Monday of 2013. Weird, right? Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:

Unemployment Will Cut Off 1.3 Million People Tomorrow

images

Unemployment insurance extensions for jobless Americans end Dec. 28, affecting an estimated 1.3 million people, according to The Washington Post blogger Niraj Chokshi. Most states will cut benefits after a maximum of 26 weeks if the Senate fails to approve a federal extension when they reconvene Jan. 6.

Federal Judge Rules NSA Collection of Phone Metadata is Legal

James-Clapper-in-White-House

Judge William H. Pauley III ruled today that NSA bulk phone metadata collection, first revealed to the public in 2006 and again by Glenn Greenwald in June of this year, is legal.

“An Ouroboros of Sh*t”

Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 11.20.08 AM

What Luke O’Neil has written for Esquire is, honestly, the manifesto for journalism in the age of Buzzfeed

Kanye West Thinks We’re Stupid And He’s Absolutely Right

kanye-west-mask

This article will inevitably go up on The Daily Banter’s Facebook page where it will inevitably be commented on by a handful of people that will, without ever reading a word of this article, dismiss it because they’re “tired of hearing about that adjective, adjective noun Kanye West.”

Did Fox News Inspire The White “Knockout Game” Attacker?

Conrad-Alvin-Barrett

Conrad Alvin Barrett of Katy, TX, has been charged under the federal hate crimes laws for a “knockout” attack on a 79 year old black man. Police found out about the crime after Barrett showed the video he had taken to an officer. According to the FBI, he describes it as a “knockout” attack on… Read More

The Morning Banter: Tea Party Crashers, Real Knockout Game Racism, and “The Exorcist” Turns 40

Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 11.31.45 PM

It’s Friday, which if you’re lucky is pretty meaningless this week. Here’s some reading material for your morning regardless.

Major Edward Snowden Revelation: The Government Is ‘Watching Everything We Do’

Edward_Snowden_Guardian_016_900x5042

What jumped out at me right away was this line: “Recently we learned that our governments, working in concert, have created a system of worldwide system of mass surveillance watching everything we do.” Watching everything we do? Literally everything?

Reading Makes Sarah Palin’s Head Hurt Real Bad

palin_big_gulp_derp

When Sarah Palin weighed in on the Duck Dynasty nonsense, she tweeted, “Free speech is an endangered species. Those ‘intolerants’ hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us.” Among other problematic things in that tweet, Palin didn’t actually read what Phil Robertson said.