Science’s 10 Biggest Discoveries in 2013 About Us, Wonderful Us

FILED TO: Science and Environment

LiveScience published a list of the most interesting discoveries about human nature in the past year…

Kurt Cobain Remains Dead: Reflections on the State of Things – 2013

Photo of Kurt COBAIN and NIRVANA

FILED TO: Media and Entertainment

We’ve moved into the Hyperreality age, what Umberto Eco called “the authentic fake”. 2013 was a year for fake scandals, The IRS tax scandal, Benghazi, and the rollout, just to name a few. The mainstream media gave up on holding the actual offenders accountable.

Amazing Body Atlas Shows Full Spectrum of Human Emotions

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 1.06.54 PM

FILED TO: Science and Environment

A new study published today in the Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences suggests that our emotions do indeed influence our bodies in very specific ways (or at least we perceive it that way)

2013 Showed Fox News to be the Ultimate Anti Christian Organization

FILED TO: Media and Entertainment

The rise in popularity of Pope Francis in 2013 has created a very challenging proposition for Fox News, a supposedly pro Christian organization that relentlessly attacks the non religious. The problem with the new pope is that he prescribes a version of Christianity that actually has something to do with the teachings of Christ.

The Real, Official, Way-Better-Than-Chez’s List of the Best 20 Songs of 2013

FILED TO: Media and Entertainment

Without further ado, and with all disrespect in the world to Chez, here are the actual 20 Best Songs of 2013

13 Benghazis That Occurred on Bush’s Watch

FILED TO: Politics

With the publishing of The New York Times report about the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi more than a year ago, as well as the ongoing “scandal” surrounding the Obama administration’s response, I thought I’d repost the following list of 13 attacks on U.S. embassies and consulates during the Bush years.

10 OkCupid Profile “Don’ts” to Heed If You Actually Want to Get Laid

FILED TO: Society and Culture

New Year’s resolutions are kind of bullshit, but a simple way to improve your 2014 as a single person is to banish these sex-repelling elements from your OkCupid profile.

The Daily Banter Awards 2013 Results!!!

breaking bad

FILED TO: Headline Articles

The results are finally in!! Readers of The Daily Banter have weighed in with their highly valued opinions on all of the shenanigans that have gone on over the past year and voted on a vast array of topics including who they’d like to see ‘pass on’ and the biggest ‘America is fucked’ moment.

THE MORNING BANTER: Healthcare Signups, Russian Bombings, Music Industry Happenings, and Packers Wins

FILED TO: Media and Entertainment

It’s the last Monday of 2013. Weird, right? Here’s what’s happening on the interweb:

Unemployment Will Cut Off 1.3 Million People Tomorrow

FILED TO: Politics

Unemployment insurance extensions for jobless Americans end Dec. 28, affecting an estimated 1.3 million people, according to The Washington Post blogger Niraj Chokshi. Most states will cut benefits after a maximum of 26 weeks if the Senate fails to approve a federal extension when they reconvene Jan. 6.

Federal Judge Rules NSA Collection of Phone Metadata is Legal

FILED TO: Politics

Judge William H. Pauley III ruled today that NSA bulk phone metadata collection, first revealed to the public in 2006 and again by Glenn Greenwald in June of this year, is legal.

“An Ouroboros of Sh*t”

Screen Shot 2013-12-27 at 11.20.08 AM

FILED TO: Media and Entertainment

What Luke O’Neil has written for Esquire is, honestly, the manifesto for journalism in the age of Buzzfeed

Kanye West Thinks We’re Stupid And He’s Absolutely Right

FILED TO: Media and Entertainment

This article will inevitably go up on The Daily Banter’s Facebook page where it will inevitably be commented on by a handful of people that will, without ever reading a word of this article, dismiss it because they’re “tired of hearing about that adjective, adjective noun Kanye West.”

The Morning Banter: Tea Party Crashers, Real Knockout Game Racism, and “The Exorcist” Turns 40

Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 11.31.45 PM

FILED TO: Media and Entertainment

It’s Friday, which if you’re lucky is pretty meaningless this week. Here’s some reading material for your morning regardless.

Major Edward Snowden Revelation: The Government Is ‘Watching Everything We Do’

FILED TO: Politics

What jumped out at me right away was this line: “Recently we learned that our governments, working in concert, have created a system of worldwide system of mass surveillance watching everything we do.” Watching everything we do? Literally everything?

Reading Makes Sarah Palin’s Head Hurt Real Bad

FILED TO: Politics

When Sarah Palin weighed in on the Duck Dynasty nonsense, she tweeted, “Free speech is an endangered species. Those ‘intolerants’ hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us.” Among other problematic things in that tweet, Palin didn’t actually read what Phil Robertson said.

Quote of the Day: Oh, Glenn

Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 11.33.49 AM

FILED TO: Media and Entertainment

So here’s to Glenn’s last hurrah, everyone. Raise a glass to him for providing us with so much entertainment in 2013.

Well, We Never Could’ve Seen This One Coming

Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 9.59.54 AM

FILED TO: Science and Environment

Sometimes things happen in the unlikeliest of places.

Subscribe to the Banter Newsletter!