Sandy Hook Survivors Struggle to Pick Up the Pieces

newtown_pieces_280
newtown_pieces

Women embrace at a vigil held at Newtown High School for families of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims in Newtown, Connecticut December 16, 2012. U.S. President Barack Obama is visiting Newtown High School to meet with the families of the victims and to thank first responders to the school shooting here, which was one of the deadliest such incidents in the nation's history. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque Women embrace at a vigil held at Newtown High School for families of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims in Newtown, Connecticut December 16, 2012. U.S. President Barack Obama is visiting Newtown High School to meet with the families of the victims and to thank first responders to the school shooting here, which was one of the deadliest such incidents in the nation's history. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From Yahoo! News:

As residents here learned the names Saturday of the 20 children and six adults killed at Sandy Hook School in one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history, kids and their parents began a long mourning process.

Roxanne Mader, the mother of 7-year old Bianca, a student at Sandy Hook, said two of her daughter's friends are among the dead, as well as her principal, Dawn Hochsprung, whom Bianca loved.

"I cried a lot," Bianca said quietly, after visiting a small memorial of flowers and candles set up across the street from the school. "I miss my principal. She said, keep on working, don't give up."

Hochsprung reportedly tried to stop the shooting, heroically lunging at the gunman before he shot her and continued on his rampage.

Mader said her daughter has not been shielded from Friday's events.

"They told them to keep their eyes closed (when evacuating the building) and she did, but some of the kids didn't and then as they walked they already shared the information with each other, unfortunately," Mader said.

Enhanced by Zemanta