Remember What You Were Elected to do, Mr President

US President Barack Obama pauses during a news conference in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington, DC following the North American Leaders Summit (NALS) on April 2, 2012. AFP PHOTO/YURI GRIPAS (Photo credit should read YURI GRIPAS/AFP/Getty Images)

After seeing signs that Obama may be about to sell liberals down the river, Michael Tomasky asks the President to remember who voted for him when negotiating on entitlement reform:

Obama faces enormous establishment pressure to consummate a deal—from Wall Street, from much of the mainstream media, etc. I’m more willing than most liberals to concede that he has to take that pressure seriously. But he might also keep in mind that two thirds of the public, including a hefty majority of Republicans, opposes going to 67. And he might also remember his voters. The market might not care much about lower-income senior citizens, but he was elected to do just that.

I do understand Tomasky’s point that Obama could end up shafting seniors and the poor in a deal with the Republicans, but I don’t see how he avoids doing at least some damage to the most vulnerable if he wants to get anything passed. It’s not an excuse, but there are political realities that us pundits and commentators will never fully comprehend. I’m waiting to see what deal (if any emerges) before passing judgment, but it is important the Left keep the pressure up to ensure he negotiates hard.

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

From the beginning, several of us here at The Daily Banter have questioned not only the editorial apRead more...
Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Quite a while back I was the producer on a show, the anchor of which was a powerhouse in the businesRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

On this week's edition of the NSFW Video Mail Bag, Ben, Chez and Bob discuss Brittney Cooper, the OsRead more...

Comments are closed.