Notes On the VRA.

FILED TO: Politics

With oral arguments in Shelby County v. Holder set for February 27th of next year, an interesting item popped up on my radio this past Friday, the press release of which I’ll quote here

The Justice Department announced today that it has reached an agreement with the State of New Hampshire that will allow for all 10 of the towns in that state that are covered jurisdictions under the special provisions of the Voting Rights Act to bail out from coverage by these provisions.

Now — what does that mean? Is Holder trying to update the usefulness of Section 5, given that places like New Hampshire and Michigan are covered when places likes Ohio, Florida, and Voter ID-states aren’t? And how does it square with the speech Holder gave, where he said, simply —

All eligible citizens can and should be automatically registered to vote.

— and where does that leave Section 2 and the possible future of the ‘Pocket Trigger?’

Questions, questions, questions.

Issue 13 of the Banter Magazine is now out! Right now, you can try a membership for only 99 cents!

Comments are closed.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

Subscribe to the Banter Newsletter!