Notes On the VRA.

With oral arguments in Shelby County v. Holder set for February 27th of next year, an interesting item popped up on my radio this past Friday, the press release of which I’ll quote here

The Justice Department announced today that it has reached an agreement with the State of New Hampshire that will allow for all 10 of the towns in that state that are covered jurisdictions under the special provisions of the Voting Rights Act to bail out from coverage by these provisions.

Now — what does that mean? Is Holder trying to update the usefulness of Section 5, given that places like New Hampshire and Michigan are covered when places likes Ohio, Florida, and Voter ID-states aren’t? And how does it square with the speech Holder gave, where he said, simply —

All eligible citizens can and should be automatically registered to vote.

— and where does that leave Section 2 and the possible future of the ‘Pocket Trigger?’

Questions, questions, questions.

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

From the beginning, several of us here at The Daily Banter have questioned not only the editorial apRead more...
Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Quite a while back I was the producer on a show, the anchor of which was a powerhouse in the businesRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

On this week's edition of the NSFW Video Mail Bag, Ben, Chez and Bob discuss Brittney Cooper, the OsRead more...

Comments are closed.