Hating The Gun Monsters

One of the weirder accusations I’ve seen thrown out by gun lobby apologists in the days since the Newtown massacre has been the idea that liberals bring up the issue of gun control and gun violence reduction because they hate the NRA.

Wayne LaPierreNow, it isn’t that liberals don’t hate the NRA, but this excuse appears to be yet another false article of faith among the right because liberals are so invested in stopping the flow of money from the NRA to mostly right-wing politicians. But unlike, say, the amount of money that flows into races with the backing of private industry or lobbyist groups, the NRA is not a particularly fearsome political actor. Studies indicate that they are really bad at the business of winning elections, and even when you exclude their top goal for 2012 – preventing President Obama’s re-election – they may have had a worse track record than Karl Rove’s Crossroads operation.

As a sidebar, this is also why many of us on the left hate how scared Democrats have become of the NRA. They are electorally impotent.

So, liberals don’t dislike the NRA because of its electoral muscle. Why do we hate them?

They make the America we love a less safe place to live. The NRA exists in order for there to be more guns in America. More guns in America, more deaths by guns in America.

In 1995, former President George H.W. Bush resigned from the NRA when they sent out a letter describing federal agents as “jackbooted government thugs” who wear “Nazi bucket helmets and black storm trooper uniforms” and “harass, intimidate, even murder law-abiding citizens.” Oh by the way, this letter came out about a month after the Oklahoma City bombing, in which a domestic terrorist did so in the name of anti-governmental beliefs.

That’s today’s NRA. That’s the organization who this year added Barack Obama to its list of supposed tyrants, along with Bill Clinton and anyone to the left of Atilla The Hun in a leadership capacity.

It’s an organization who took four days to condemn the deaths of innocent children with weapons it champions.

So yes, a lot of us hate the NRA. Many of us also wonder how you couldn’t.

  • Zython

    Well, Dennis has demonstrated that he has severe anger issues, a persecution complex, scitzophrenic tendencies, and believes that “winning” is justified by whatever means necessary.

    So to answer your question, “Probably”.

  • Zython

    We need some way to determine if Dennis is who he says he is. Otherwise, he can just look up someone in the phone book and claim that’s him.

    • mortyshatz

      Why do you care?? Is he a terrorist?

  • mortyshatz

    Why are we asking people for social security numbers?

  • Zython

    Plunket, I’ll take you up on that bet. To prove who you say you are, you’ll need to provide the following:

    1. First & Last Name
    2. Date of Birth
    3. Home Address
    4. Social Security Number

    You in?

  • mortyshatz

    Hey plunket…why are you on this site arguing like a little girl…isnt this for opinions?? Why wasye the time of others just to argue?? Why all the aliases??? Db jist shit you down hahaha

  • Plunket

    No, db, I’m asking you if you’d like to bet on any of the things you’ve said about me that you repeated after reading DA’s assertions. Don’t weasel, because when you repeat them, they become your assertions, too. Now I’m asking you if you want to back them up, just like you did with Frank.

    Pretty simple, unless you just like being in a habit of repeating shit you have no idea whether it’s true or not and would prefer not to be challenged or asked to put your money where your mouth is.

  • db

    Dennis,

    A key element to Slander is that the statements have to lower the general opinion of the Plaintiff.

    You want to argue that anything I’ve written has lowered anyone here’s opinion of you?

    Any you still (intentionally?) remain clueless about the original bet. Frank made an assertion. I asked if he wanted to back it up. He did. Morty has made an off hand comment. It isn’t accurate. Why do you keep asking me to bet on a guaranteed loss? I know you think me stupid. Or is it just that you can’t find anything to say on topic?

  • Plunket

    Hey, so what about our bet, Mortimer?

    Unlike db, I’ll even give you 10-1 odds, …because that’s the kind of guy I am.

    • db

      Dennis,

      Be fair. You work in (what is it NY?) & you work for some sort of bank. DA listed it all some time ago. I didn’t pay close attention but could probably look it up if needed.

      morty,

      Welcome. I don’t do FB but Dennis is Plunket & syncit1228 above the fold. There’s only one him for the three “nom d’blog”. I call him Dennis as that’s his name & I don’t want to get caught up in his various handles.

      • mortyshatz

        DB,

        I am so tired of us all catering to the right ring dings. We need a message that comes across loud and clear. One like, Remember The Titans. What do you say? NRA and KKK are closely related! I think. Ollie, what do you say?

        Morty

        • db

          Morty,

          Given the current Supreme Court; I’m pessimistic about any effective gun legislation passing Constitutional muster.

          On a different topic, the Tea Party has apparently rehabilitated the John Birch Society. Another resurrection from the dust-bin of history.

          • mortyshatz

            Despite the republicans in the house obama can pull an executive order in…we just have to wait for the supreme court members to die or retire

          • Plunket

            db, I think Morty Shatz will be a nice little clueless liberal friend for you to talk to here when no one else will, and that’s nice. But my challenge bet to him was a fair one. Same with you, in your eagerness to repeat every bit of trash DA thinks of in his sick head and spews out here, would you be willing to bet that what he says (that you repeat every time) is true? Say, $25 to a homeless shelter in DC? For a good cause, would you be willing to put your money where your slandering mouth is?

            Let me know.

      • mortyshatz

        DB,

        why doesn’t anyone on this blog post their real name?

        Morty

      • mortyshatz

        DB,

        and how do we know that Dennis is all three? Is he a regular of this blog? Why doesn’t Oliver ever post on his own site? Is this just a free for all atmosphere? The stars don’t seem aligned on such a warm, sunny morning. Mele Kelikimaka.

        Morty

        • db

          Morty,

          “how do we know that Dennis is all three?” Well, the conversations continue without reference to which “handle” he’s using. The phraseology is identical. Dennis was MIA for a while after the election; but he seems to have returned.

          I can not speak for the others, but I use the “nom d’blog” because there are any number of wackos out there & I do not want too much of my personal information out there.

          Again I can’t speak for Oliver, but I believe there is a convention against posting on your own site. it may involve the number of “hits” the site receives. I’m not the one to answer this one.

          “Is this just a free for all atmosphere?” Kinda. Dennis changes the subject any time he doesn’t like the topic of Oliver’s article.The rest of us respond to what Dennis says; so he’s successful in setting the topic. I understand your concern. I’m not sure how to fix it.

          If you’re really in Hawaii, enjoy the weather. I keep Yellowknife, NWT’s weather called up under the “It Could Be Worse” category.

  • mortyshatz

    If anybody besides plunket or dennis wants to join my facebook page please do

  • Plunket

    I bet he works with the nra or something silly

    mortyshatzhimself,

    I’ll take that bet. $25 payable to a DC homeless shelter of yours or my choosing.

    Let me know and we’ll come up with terms regarding how loser pays.

    • mortyshatz

      Its people like this dennis guy who are destroying this country…and plunket doesnt exactly have the intelligence to put up a good arguement….

  • mortyshatz

    I mist be lost…who is this dennis guy and does he have any intelligence at all? What does he do? I bet he works with the nra or something silly

  • Plunket

    Hey thanks, db. Wasn’t aware that I had any, but appreciate the kind and sincere words. You’re a helluva guy. Not all that bright, but a stand-up guy just the same.

    • db

      Hey Dennis,

      You haven’t been paying attention. I’m not the “idea guy” around here. I’m just one who points out the factual inaccuracies or logical inconsistencies in your statements.

      Doesn’t take brains to do that.

    • mortyshatz

      Plunky,

      Do you have pink hair? Your rants are exhausting.

      Morty

  • Plunket

    db,

    Seriously, when you try to act stupid by pretending you believe what DA tells you, you come across as very fake and unconvincing.

    Just act natural, people will get the message soon enough.

    • db

      Dennis,

      You really don’t want to raise the issue of stupid after your rather far-fetched defense of Frank DiSalle earlier.

      Truly sorry to hear of your marital troubles. Though it doesn’t surprise me if you play the same silly word games with her as yoiu do with us here.

      • mortyshatz

        Dont bother arguing with this jerk off…he clearly has a hard on for spewing trash and nonsense on this sight

    • db

      Dennis,

      You really don’t want to raise the issue of stupid after your rather far-fetched defense of Frank DiSalle earlier.

      Truly sorry to hear of your marital troubles. Though it doesn’t surprise me if you play the same silly word games with her as you do with us here.

  • db

    DA,

    New Rochelle. Thanks. I confused the cities.

    I’m unfamiliar with FB. What happened to Tom Dufner & why? Though given the garbage he’d write under “Oy”; I can see why he’d not want any prospective employer to see it.

    Dennis’ wife is thinking of leaving him?

    An Alcoholic messes up his own life & the lives of those around him. I can only pray that Frank DiSalle & his kid(s) can come to repentence, forgivness, & healing.

  • db

    Zython,

    Yours from 2:05 this morning.

    “But I’m not easy about the proliferation of “FPS” games. How is it different from mass murder except the gun & the blood are real? (mine)

    Well, that in and of itself is a very big difference.”

    Indeed. But the view is the same. The gun is still at the end of the arm. The blood spraying from the victim is the same. The victim’s collapse is the same. The difference is that the bodies don’t magically disappear.

    But we’re back to it. The USA doesn’t spend the most per-capita on video games (though I’d like to see the figures for FPS). Does the US have a higher proportion of unbalanced people? It’s the availability of guns added to the mix that allows for the violence. Somehow “banning” violent video games is as impossible as it is useless.

    Just for it; I’m bothered by the vagueness of some of the suggestions for screening potential shooters by Mental Health Professionals. Who decides who is a potential shooter? What standards are applied? What is the result? i.e. incarceration? forced therapy? It sounds too close the the (Lord Willing) satirical cure for crime by locking up every Black male between the ages of 15 & 33. I’d assert that all teenagers are messed up in one way or another. All teenagers are “alienated”. It’s part of growing up.

  • M2

    I watched a clip of Lawrence O’Donnel last week where he estimated hiring new cops for all school would run into the billions with their salary being the average nationwide. I want to say six billion but cannot recall right now. I’ll Wayne is the guy who should be showing his math on this one since it’s his bright idea to arm schools.

  • M2

    Lil Wayne returns. Where does the no taxes crowd think we’re going to get the billions to arm every school?

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/22/politics/gun-debate/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

    • db

      Marco,

      I was wondering when the cost would get some mention. Who would pay for the protection? I was figuring $40,000 for a 9 month coverage times the (is it) 125,000 schools & was coming up with $500m. Does my math work?

  • Plunket

    db, you don’t know your elbow from your ass. Seriously, you’re one of the dumbest posters to have ever ventured to this website. You keep repeating over and over about a silly $25 bet that was a bullshit bet to begin with. If you were an honest broker you would have offered Frank a 10-1 payoff bet instead of a 50-50 one like you did, given that that the odds of 300+ EV’s for Romney at that time were less than 10% by most betting services. Instead, you chided me and others here to join in on a bet that was clearly in your favor by a large margin. And also, you have no proof whatsoever that Frank welched on that bet. None. Just like if you lost, we’d have no proof that you paid it. We have no proof about anything you’ve ever done, whether you’ve ever given one red cent to a homeless shelter before in your life. And seriously, get a life…you’ve repeated that stupid bet at least 15 times on here in the last month and half, like it’s the centerpiece of your daily routine, what you live for. It can’t get any more pathetic than that. You guys have a win in a presidential candidate, but the bottom line is you’re still a complete loser who has nothing better to do than wonder if someone you don’t even know paid $25 to a homeless shelter as part of a bullshit bet.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Plunket: db, you don’t know your elbow from your ass. Seriously, you’re one of the dumbest posters to have ever ventured to this website. You keep repeating over and over about a silly $25 bet that was a bullshit bet to begin with. If you were an honest broker you would have offered Frank a 10-1 payoff bet instead of a 50-50 one like you did, given that that the odds of 300+ EV’s for Romney at that time were less than 10% by most betting services. Instead, you chided me and others here to join in on a bet that was clearly in your favor by a large margin.

      Yes, db. Shame on you for forcing Frank to take a bet willingly with terms that he freely agreed to.

      And shame on you for expecting Frank, a self-declared promoter of personal responsibility, to actually keep his word.

      What were you thinking, db?

    • db

      Dennis,

      I don’t brag about what I do for charity or otherwise. I don’t do it for the praise of men.

      I did not force Frank to take the bet & I’d remind you that you & he were boasting about the “un-skewed” polls showing President Elect Romney’s lead. He made a prediction. He took an offer. That makes me a bad guy? Weren’t you guys boasting about “personal responsibility” a little bit ago?

      Frank has not appeared here to announce his payment of the debt. It strikes me that he has the burden to announce his compliance, rahter than asking me to prove he didn’t.

      It’s also interesting that for a ” bullshit bet” you seem quite worked up. What’s your stake here? If I have no life by mentioning the bet, what does that say about you writing about me writing about the bet?

      • Plunket

        db, if you don’t brag about what you do for charity, then you really don’t need to be repeating over and over your speculation whether FD paid that charity, either. One time was all you needed. After that, it’s all a game to you, and it has very little to do with that charity and everything to do with your wanting to be the cool guy here by repeating it over and over. I’ve had a hundred bets over my lifetime that with other people that the loser of the bet didn’t pay up. Sometimes they conveniently forget, sometimes the bet was a lopsided bet to begin with, like yours was, sometimes the guy just doesn’t want to pay. I might mention it to them one time to sort of needle them, but after that one time, to mention it over and over makes me look petty and small, which is what you’re doing to yourself here in this case.

        His personal responsibility was not to report back to you and everyone else here; you’re wrong about that. He never had that ‘burden’ to begin with. You never made that a condition of the bet that you both agreed to. In fact, you and he agreed to very little. Whether or not he’s complied with his end of the bet is pure speculation on your part.

        • Christopher Foxx

          Plunket: but after that one time, to mention it over and over makes me look petty and small

          Yes, you over and over entioning db’s comments about Frank’s bet does make you look petty and small.

    • Zython

      You keep repeating over and over about a silly $25 bet that was a bullshit bet to begin with.

      What makes it bullshit? I mean, besides the fact that it made Frank look bad.

      If you were an honest broker you would have offered Frank a 10-1 payoff bet instead of a 50-50 one like you did, given that that the odds of 300+ EV’s for Romney at that time were less than 10% by most betting services.

      As noted by CF, no one forced Frank to accept those terms of the bet. He seemed perfectly fine with the odds, which speaks more about him than db.

      Instead, you chided me and others here to join in on a bet that was clearly in your favor by a large margin.

      Frank didn’t seem to think so.

      And also, you have no proof whatsoever that Frank welched on that bet.

      His refusal to confirm payment is proof enough.

      • Plunket

        His refusal to confirm payment is proof enough.

        He hasn’t posted here at all. You don’t know that he’s refused to make payment. When db says he likes to keep his charitable contributions private, maybe that’s the case with Frank, too. It’s the case with most people. He doesn’t owe you anything. He doesn’t owe anyone here anything. He made a bet where the payoff was to a third party. There were no more conditions to that bet that he agreed to. Not satisfied with knowing whether he paid the shelter or not, instead the freaks here stalk his and his sons’ FB pages. That’s fucked up, but that’s who you guys are.

        • db

          Dennis,

          Are you really that dense?

          “He doesn’t owe you anything”

          Exactly wrong. He owes me $25 payable to the Homeless Shelter. When I lost a bet with (the lamentably late) Rick Janes of fishink.net; I posted that we’d had the bet & he was proved right & I was paying off in a method TBD. (I’d bet that Sarah Palin would run & win 5 Republican “contests”. 0 for 2 there.)

          At the time all Frank had to do was a simple post stating that he’d paid off. I’d have asked (like I did Farris) why he’d been so convinced of his prediction & he might have taken some razzing from the guys. But it would have been over.

          Hey if one of Frank’s sons is quoting the Joker about being beaten by his drunk Dad on FB; it’s not stalking. It’s viewing information publically available. If accurate, it might bear some looking into by the Rochester(?) authorities. Not having seen the original; I’ll say no more on the subject.

        • Zython

          He hasn’t posted here at all.

          Exactly. What’s he running away from?

          You don’t know that he’s refused to make payment.

          I know Frank well enough to know that he’s all talk. He talks about how smart and great and moral he is, but is constantly unable to demonstrate.

          He doesn’t owe you anything.

          True. And I don’t particularly care about the money. I’m just amused seeing that for all his arrogance and moral bloviating, he’s unable to even keep his word.

          Are you really that dense?

          Don’t ask questions you know the answers to.

      • db

        Hey Z,

        Just for the record, Frank had been going on about how WMR was going to get 300EV and how we’d all be crying the blues after the election. I asked him if he wanted some action on his prediction. I didn’t set the terms or the stakes. I must confess it never struck me to offer him odds on a prediction he was making as a certainty.

        I’ll also confess that I did ask Dennis if he wanted in on the wager as he was convincing in his assertion that the Romney Inaugural tickets would be something more than a curiosity piece. It was my way of testing whether Dennis really believed the (crap) or whether he was jerking our chain.

  • db

    DA,

    So Dufty & Oy are the same. I thought Syncit was Dennis, not Frank; but I’ll defer to your call on the matter.

    I do wonder sometimes if the trolls really believe what they say or if they’re just doing it for sport. I’m guessing “Oy” just gets his jollies by launching absurd & inconsistent insults at persons he doesn’t know.

    Feel free to spread that Frank wagered $25 to the homeless shelter that Romney would get 300+EV & has welched on the bet.

  • db

    el,

    From this afternoon.

    People get guns because they’re afraid. But then don’t we have to say something more than, “People are afraid because of the number of guns”?

    So why is the “culture of fear” up? Are Americans just that more fearful? Is it something with our news reporting that the rest of the world doesn’t follow? Is our RNC causing significantly more fear that the European rightist or even neo-Nazi parties?

    All I remember was DA “outing” Dennis Schlachter. But I’ve got to say “oy” contributes absolutely nothing.

  • enlightened liberal

    For our friends above the fold- the anti-Semitic troll seems to be the same fellow from Glen Rock New Jersey who was shamed here several months ago to the point he had to beg us not to notify his employer. Maybe it’s about time we found that number again.

  • oi ly

    Well maybe when they get TV, videos games, comic books and movies up in Canada, its mass murder rate will sky rocket …

  • Christopher Foxx

    Weird how a blog populated by violent comic-book movies and video war-game freaks think they share no blame at all in the culture that allows mentally unstable youths from replicating what they see on those movies and video games.

    Yes, I’m sorry about all those kids who were inspired by the Spider-Man and Captain America movies to start throwing webs and shields around. Clearly it’s Dark Knight Rises which is responsible for all those people who run around in armored costumes throwing batarangs around.

    Oh, wait.

    • M2

      Well you know, when a right winger says shit like “reload” or puts people in gun sights, it’s not remotely responsible for coarsening the culture. Batman is.

      • Plunket

        That’s what so phony about you, M2M. You blamed Tempe 100% on Sarah Palin. Now you blame Newtown 100% on the NRA. No one, or nothing else. Libs and Dem politicians are too dependent on the Hollywood culture to lay any blame on them. That and the fact it doesn’t make libs feel any better like it does blaming Sarah Palin and the NRA.

        And Palin didn’t put any person in a gun sight, lying idiot.

        • M2

          In your inaccurate defense of your moron girlfriend, Sarah Palin, you say I blamed Tempe on her 100%. No. Dennis, I did not. But because she put sites on Gabby Giffords’ head and told her knuckle-dragging followers, yourself included, to “reload,” I said she and all of her ilk who contribute to idiocy like that, again yourself included, are clowns with bloody hands.

          Funny, so many on the right, probably yourself included, were so upset about people blaming Tempe on anyone else but the shooter, but here you are blaming comics and movies for gun violence, giving the NRA, and their continued efforts to allow high-powered weapons into the arms of anyone with a axe to grind, a giant pass.

          See, Sarah Palin, although I’d love to pretend otherwise, is real. Cartoons and movies and video games are not and if they were the cause of violence, you still haven’t explained how Doom or Marilyn Manson hasn’t caused wide spread carnage in places other than the US.

          Because you can’t. Because it doesn’t happen over there like it does here. It just doesn’t. How many Norways have we had compared to Norway?

          No go on and run D for any right wing cause no matter how many bullets it sends flying at kids.

    • Plunket

      I didn’t say Spiderman and Batman were to blame, Christopher, you buffoon. I said the comic-book freaks and World of Warcraft gamer-bois that flock to this site deny that the violence in entertainment culture has anything at all to do with these mass killings. You can’t and you won’t because you’re too busy taking the pot-shots at someone else because that simply makes you feel better. And you find that not the least bit hypocritical.

      • Zython

        Yes, Dennis. It’s clearly all the fault of “comic-book freaks” and “gamer-bois” and all the other parts of modern culture you refuse to understand. It couldn’t possible have anything to do with actual policy issues that require fixing. That would call for introspection and hard work, which are clearly beneath you. Are you going to blame the lack of cursive writing, next?

        Try again. And this time, don’t embarass yourself.

        • db

          Zython,

          I’m much more inclined to question the role the 24/7 news cycle plays in the “glorification” of mass murderers. I mean when you have the barber of the shooter interviewed; what’s more to be said? The Shooter gets his name to live forever; albeit in infamy.

          But I’m not easy about the proliferation of “FPS” games. How is it different from mass murder except the gun & the blood are real?

          el,

          Are you saying Oy Humidity & Dennis are one in the same? Or am I mis-remembering?

          • enlightened liberal

            No, it’s someone else I suspect. Another troll login used to shit all over the blog until someone here linked his moniker with a real-life id and got the guy shitting bricks and apologizing, lest someone contact his employer.

          • enlightened liberal

            I also suspect that American culture of fear plays a huge role. If you recall, that was the major conclusion of “Bowling for Columbine.” I’ve talked to several people this week who lamented how society is much more violent, and crime is so much more random. I told them that actually, it’s much LESS violent and random than a generation ago, and that’s a proven fact. When I was a kid, we feared the world ending in nuclear war. Every day in my city of New York, 6 people were murdered. Now there is no real nuclear threat, murder is down significantly, and property crimes are down.

            But fear is up. Follow the money- who stands to profit from fear? The NRA, the defense industry, media, and the RNC.

          • Zython

            The Shooter gets his name to live forever; albeit in infamy.

            People are going to talk about him either way. Just look at Herostratus.

            But I’m not easy about the proliferation of “FPS” games. How is it different from mass murder except the gun & the blood are real?

            Well, that in and of itself is a very big difference. I’m not a fan of the FPS genre myself, but we went through this BS after Columbine, and it was just as pointless then.

        • M2

          You’re asking much too much of him.

        • Plunket

          Thanks for that link from PS3, Zython. You really went above and beyond the call of duty with your exhaustive research on the subject.

          Meanwhile, a bit away from your online fantasy world and a little closer to reality….

          CBSLocal Connecticut: New Details Emerge A Week After School Massacre

          NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — He was the awkward, peculiar kid who wore the same clothes to school every day.

          He rarely spoke and even gave a school presentation entirely by computer, never uttering a word.

          He liked tinkering with computers and other gadgets, and seemed to enjoy playing a violent video game, choosing a military-style assault rifle as one of his weapons.
          ….

          Back in high school, Frost recalled, someone brought in a video game called “Counter-Strike,” a shooting video game in which players compete against each other as either terrorists or counter-terrorists.

          Lanza “seemed pretty interested in the game,” Frost said, and would play it with other students. He remembers the weapons Lanza chose: an M4 military-style assault rifle and a Glock handgun.

          Authorities said Lanza used a military-style assault rifle and carried handguns during the rampage at the school. They still have no clear reason why Lanza would lash out at defenseless first-graders and their caretakers.

          Gamer-boi Zython in complete denial. Give us some more PS3 studies, freak.

          • db

            Dennis,

            Just for it, in playing any “shooting” style game, I want a weapon that will stop the opponent in one hit. Choosing a military style weapon for just such a game strikes me as entirely rational.

            Basing a “news” story on it: less so.

            Quoting that “news” story: not at all

            Interviewing the Shooter’s Barber: a waste of time.

      • Zython

        That’s what I fucking thought.

  • M2

    Wow, what another golden moment for the NRA. Wingnuts, you must be so proud of Lil Wayne.

    • Plunket

      Weird how a blog populated by violent comic-book movies and video war-game freaks think they share no blame at all in the culture that allows mentally unstable youths from replicating what they see on those movies and video games. Violent comic book enthusiast/blogger tells everyone to hate someone else for it happening, then wipes his hands free of the guilt. Amazing.

      • M2

        Yes, because we’re the only culture with access to those violent video games and comic books. Only in America are those things available.

        Keep on concern trolling for the NRA, Dennis. It’s adorable.

  • Christopher Foxx

    “We think it is poor form for a politician or a special interest group to try to push a legislative agenda on the back of any tragedy.”
    – NRA, after 2008 Northern Illinois shootings

    “Now is not the time to debate politics or discuss policy.”
    – NRA, after 2009 Binghampton massacre

    “At this time, anything other than prayers for the victims and their families would be inappropriate.”
    – NRA, after 2011 shooting spree that wounded Gabrielle Giffords

    “There will be an appropriate time down the road to engage in political and policy discussions.”
    – NRA, after 2012 Aurora massacre

    “NRA will not have any comment.”
    – NRA, after 2012 Newtown massacre

    Well, at least they’re learning to shut up.

  • Plunket

    Gallup: More Americans Favor School Officials Having Guns Than Weapon Ban

    A new poll released today by Gallup shows that Americans favor increased security and proactive mental health treatment over gun control. The national poll of a little over 1,000 adults was conducted in the wake of the tragic murders at a Connecticuit school last Friday. As the introduction to the poll says:

    Americans are most likely to say that an increased police presence at schools, increased government spending on mental health screening and treatment, and decreased depiction of gun violence in entertainment venues would be effective in preventing mass shootings at schools. Americans rate the potential effectiveness of a ban on assault and semi-automatic guns as fourth on a list of six actions Gallup asked about.

    More Americans favor the sort of protection Oliver’s boss David Brock affords himself for our schoolchildren. Funny, neither of Oliver’s rambling narratives mentions that. He prefers the hate route. Maybe because that’s been so wonderfully effective in the past. ‘Hatred….it’s for the kids, ya know. Show how much you love those kids by hating the NRA.’

    • M2

      Gallup? Refresh my memory regarding their polling expertise, Den Den. What was it a six or seven point Mitt lead? Yeah, how did that work out?

      • oi ly

        Dennis, may I suggest you head over to the “eunuch’s” blog and check out if he’s done a poll on gun control.

    • Christopher Foxx

      The majority elected Obama to two terms. You going to argue now that the majority always favors the right decision?

      • Christopher Foxx

        And that sound you hear, folks, is Dennis fleeing from actually defending his own point, preferring instead to slink off and contribute to the discourse by writing insults in a different part of this thread.

        I’m sure it’s a sound you’re all familiar with.

  • Zython

    and do more for children in a week than you’ll do in a lifetime,

    Notice that he doesn’t mention whether the stuff that he does is good or not. Hmm…

    • M2

      Are you insinuating someone has his own Elmo puppet?

    • Christopher Foxx

      Or what exactly it is he does. Why the hesitancy to be specific? I know being vague is a hallmark of wingnuts, but it usually indicates something to hide, that the specifics would actually something different than the impression they’re trying to give.

  • oi ly

    Hey Merl and Co, email Ben directly if you want action with your log in problems. Anytime I emailed him directly with a problem, it was settled –

    http://thedailybanter.com/contact/

    • db

      Thanks oi, but seeing what is happening above the fold, I realise that there are advantages to keeping Oy Humidity out of polite society.

  • db

    Marco,

    In Re Benghazi-gate, apparently Sec. Clinton took a dive & is faking a concussion (having paid off the Drs?) to avoid testifying before Congress where they will (no doubt) force her to reveal the slimy details of the whole conspiracy & provide the evidence for the impeachment of President Obama & VP Biden.

    Guys,

    If I’m not as active, I’m having the same access problems as our above the fold friends on my home computer. I can only visit on the work computer on breaks or after hours. I’m hoping (against hope) that the home computer can be straightened out over the weekend.

    • M2

      Yes, but we’d have to have a wingnut sign off on that explanation. I mean, there is probably more crazy conspiracy nut bullshit to it.

  • oi ly

    It took Dennis a school massacre to plunk of the courage to start trolling again. Still an asshole.

    • Plunket

      I felt bad that there was one post every fourth day or so, Oily. Seemed like Oliver was on the verge of just shutting it all down and leaving the three of you guys still posting here high and dry.

      These are pity posts.

      • oi ly

        Oh Dennis, you got that right, I definitely pity you.

  • Plunket

    Jake Tapper to Obama: “This Is Not the First Incident of Horrific Gun Violence of your 4 Years – Where’ve you been?”

    Oliver doesn’t think that question needs to be asked, or maybe there’s a plausible reason why he doesn’t bother to ask it. Neither does db. Nor Rheinhard, Christopher Foxx, or Idiot Marco.

    Obama shed a tear for the children, though, so we know he really cares. He says the right things. He’s a good guy. Said the right things about Christopher Stevens, too…yes indeed he did.

    • M2

      “Guns don’t kill people, President Obama kills people by not doing enough about gun violence even though if he pushed any measure to curb it before, I would have opposed it.”

      Pretty much sums up your view, Dennis?

      • Plunket

        You’re too much of a coward and an Obamabot to ask the same quesion, Marco.

        And you’ll have no clue as to what measures you want enacted until Obama tells you what those measures are.

        Remember how you swooned over his Tempe speech? What the f did he do about it? Where has he been? Where have you and Oliver been? Blaming the NRA? Hey, good job, bro. Did your part. Kids know you care. Yes they sure do. You’re the best friend any kid ever had.

        • M2

          Hilarious. As a longtime supporter of gun control, I’ve always thought Obama has not done enough. Always. And he’s not alone in not doing enough. Oh, no he’s sure not. But here you are, attacking the President for not doing anything to stop gun violence when you know you would have opposed any measure he put forth. The right has been crying about the black man coming to get their guns since 2008 and it’s never happened. In fact, he given gun nuts more room to shoot. But that hasn’t stopped right wingers from continuously claiming so, because with nuts like you Den Den, it’s oppose President Obama first, embrace reality never.

          • M2

            Oh, I am sure the NRA appreciates your concern trolling though. I mean, how dare anyone blame the NRA for anything. That is flat out crazy to hold the group who opposes any serious control and have done so with millions of dollars for years responsible for a culture they helped create.

            You must be so proud.

          • Plunket

            Blaming the NRA right now and thinking you’ve done your part is the act of a shameless coward, Marco. The reality is, the one guy with the greatest ability to affect any meaningful legislation decided to put that one off till after the election. And you were too afraid to speak up at any point. But now, now, you’re real brave. You really care.

            Apparently….now….you realize you always cared.

          • M2

            Again, I sure the NRA approves of your concern trolling. Again, you’re blaming President Obama for not pushing efforts you would have opposed.

            Because you are deranged. I will now prove it.

            How is the “Clinton conclusion” Benghazi conspiracy going?

      • Christopher Foxx

        M2:

        “Guns don’t kill people, President Obama kills people by not doing enough about gun violence even though if he pushed any measure to curb it before, I would have opposed it.”

        Pretty much sums up your view, Dennis?

        Summarized it perfectly, m2. Dennis tries to criticize us because we didn’t get vocal enough about an issue he disagrees with us on.

        Dennis, of course, sees nothing odd about this at all.

        • Plunket

          You guys are unserious, flaky political opportunists, Christopher. No, there is nothing odd about criticizing you for suddenly perking up when something like this tragedy happens so you can make half-hearted, ineffectual tut-tuts toward the NRA to make yourselves feel better about yourselves. You’re all, to a person, afraid to make any kind of suggestion about what to do because none of you have a clue what would work.

          • Christopher Foxx

            I do know what would work. All gun sales have to be face to face. All gun sales have a waiting period during which a background check is performed. All gun buyers have to be licensed and to get that license they have to pass a test showing, at a minimum, that they know how to safely operate and store their gun. All gun owners have to show that they have a legitimate reason for owning a gun (and “maybe someday I might need it to protect my home” isn’t a legitimate reason).

          • Plunket

            That wouldn’t have prevented what happened at Newtown and it wouldn’t prevent a similar occurrence from happening again if some mentally unstable kid wanted to do something like that.

            You don’t know what would work, Christopher. You’re a clueless idiot yapping his trap out of opportunism on a blog known for being a forum for clueless idiots to come here for exactly that same reason.

          • Christopher Foxx

            If the items I listed had been in place, the gun used in Newtown would not have been available to the killer. So, explain to me how a similar occurrence would happen again if the gun needed to do it just wasn’t available.

            Better still, Dennis, tell me what you would do? What are your suggestions about what to do. Something other than just repeating “That won’t work. And that won’t work either.” and generic ad hominem attacks, I’d hope.

            You have a chance here to make a serious contribution to having a rational discussion. What are you going to do with it?

          • M2

            We just wanted Oliver’s right wing trio of clown commenters to post on their election loss they were so boldly telling us was never going to happen. Maybe, be sportsmen and at least admit their team lost fair square. Shockingly, you and your buds turned out sore losers and gutless wonders, save Save Farris. He came back first.

            Oddly, Dennis, you still haven’t even been able to mention Mitten’s ass-kicking. Instead, you pushing genius wingnut Hillary conspiracies. Sad.

            I’m really just not into you, Dennis. If you don’t believe me, stop commenting. I will somehow be able to go on. It will be easy.

        • M2

          Having been soundly beaten last month seems to have only fueled more paranoid idiocy in our wingnuts at large and in Dennis’ case, more homophobia, too.

          President Obama beat the remaining sense right out of him. I guess something had to take its place.

          • Plunket

            There’s no homophobia going on here, m2m, you’re just paranoid. I simply find it humorous that a guy who douches enjoys calling other people douches.

          • M2

            Oh no, no homophobia there. Zero. What was my name? M2M? Nope, none.

            I won’t even touch on your personal hygiene fantasies only to say a good therapist can help you come out, if need be.

          • Plunket

            C’mon, we’re all friends here. M2M is quite possibly the best nickname I’ve ever come up with in my whole internet trolling career….right up there with C+P and Jaim Galt. How can you be offended at that?

          • M2

            Oh, I am not offended. With every post you just reveal yourself to be someone worthy of pity.

          • Plunket

            You’re a wildly conflicted individual in many ways, m2m. You must’ve begged for me at least 10 times in the last month to come back here while I was recuperating from my concussion. Now that I indulge you on this website, one that actually has more bloggers than it does regular commenters, you tell me you pity me. Seems weird that you crave something that bad for which you say you also pity.

            The truth is, I’m pretty much the only reason you show up here.

          • Zython

            M2M is quite possibly the best nickname I’ve ever come up with in my whole internet trolling career

            Unfortunately, that’s probably true.

  • M2

    Ruh roh! Time named President Obama Person of the Year. Wingnut suicide-by-gun rate just spiked.

  • M2

    Go fuck yourselves, parents of dead children. Dennis needs his semi-auto assault weapons to hunt bunny rabbits.

    Deranged Dennis, have you showered once since the election? How many World Net Daily hits are you responsible for this week? One-million? Two mill?

    Lulz.

    • Plunket

      Have never owned a gun, have no interest in the slightest in guns, and do more for children in a week than you’ll do in a lifetime, my strange friend.

      Your argument, like Oliver’s ad hominems advocating hatred that only makes things worse in this country, boils down essentially to ‘if you don’t agree with me, you want to see innocent children murdered’. That’s how liberals always argue when they have no solutions to problems.

      • Rheinhard

        Ah yes, as no conservative has EVER argued that disagreement with war policy makes one an America-hating terrorist lover, or that disagreement about the efficacy of the laissez-faire “free market” economic catechism makes one an America-hating Communist.

      • M2

        The best thing you could ever do for kids, Dennis, is stay away from them. I certainly hope you’re not inflicting your right wing paranoia and wingnut delusions on future generations. If so, may God have mercy on their souls and may their psychiatrists be excellent.

        The right’s defense of their precious 2nd ammendment does get kids killed, Dennis. That’s not an argument I’m foistering, it’s a truth you can’t bear to deal with, so just continue to run away from that fact like you ran away from the world after losing the election. It’s what right wingers do best.

        Oh, and I for one do feel safer knowing you are gunless. I’m sure the owners of the underground bunker you rent are happy, too.

        • Plunket

          As a longtime supporter of gun control, I’ve always thought Obama has not done enough.

          ……It’s just that I’ve never felt strongly enough to ever say that, actually.

          Cowardly fraud. You were too afraid to challenge him openly because you didn’t want to lessen his chances for re-election. You have just as much blood on your hands as anyone else for the murder of those children. Assign blame to other people and call it a day knowing you did your part for humanity. Just like Oliver’s doing. Does your boss hire bodyguards who carry guns, too? And does he like it when you speak out against the NRA and encourage people to hate their members because that’s how the non tax-paying NFP organization that you work for gets paid?

          • M2

            Ha, just like your embarrassing shock and awe at coming to a liberal’s blog and finding liberals who agree with each other, now you’re shocked that a liberal holds and always held liberal views on gun control.

            Dennis, you’re only concerned with blaming the President for anything. Anything. Your Benghazi boner that continues despite reality proves it. But I have blood on my hands because I didn’t viciously go after the President on a topic that was not a big issue during the election? An issue your candidate Mitt would have opposed any action on had President Obama taken it. And you would have agreed with Romney.

            Wow, your election defeat as made you more deranged than ever. Seriously. Oh, and when you can’t face a blog you frequent for weeks because you lost an election, probably not best to call others cowards if you don’t want to be laughed at.

          • Plunket

            Funny, when I don’t post here, this place is dead as door nail. When I do, all the freaks suddenly show up and it’s a beehive of activity all of a sudden. You don’ t have that effect, M2M. You post, and it may be several days before anyone here posts again. You’re like liberal blog buzz kill.

          • M2

            Dennis is a fifteen year-old high school girl.

          • Plunket

            Seriously. Oh, and when you can’t face a blog you frequent for weeks because you lost an election,

            NO, m2m, you see, as it happened, I had this mishap where I was a bit dehydrated and fell and sustained a concussion. Doctors advised me not to post for a few weeks. Surely you understand.

          • M2

            The moon landing was faked, too.

            Conspiracy!!!! WND has the latest!!!

            Fucking HIlarious. What a douche.

          • Plunket

            Ironic that person who actually uses douches calls other people douches, no m2m?

            Or is it m2mm?

          • M2

            Dennis, do you think Hillary had hero Andrew Breitbart murdered because he had evidence on Obama’s birth certificate? I mean, she did kill Vince Foster, right?

          • Plunket

            Squish, squish, squish went M2M.

          • M2

            I’m sorry, is that the stabbing sound the knife used to kill Ron Brown made before the Cinton’s had his plane crashed to double murder him? Perhaps it’s the sounds toddler Obama made walking thru the rain-soaked grasslands of his birthplace, Kenya.

            Or some other nefarious plot yet to spilled onto the pages of Big Government or Drudge or Prison Planet? Please make sure you keep us informed.

            Oh, and I agree with Hilary/Benghazi gate. She obviously didn’t want to testify before congress and masterfully faked her concussion so she’d have to testify in January. Genius.

  • Plunket

    Non sequitur, Rheinhard, always your specialty, as leopards don’t change their spots.

    I’m not the guy patting myself on the back by encouraging hatred, like Oliver is here.

    Seriously, WTF good does that do? What good has it ever done? When has that ever been an effective means for changing minds or working for improvement?

    • Christopher Foxx

      Non sequitur, Rheinhard, always your specialty

      Dennis, demonstrating once again that he has absolutely no concept of irony. (Or self awareness.)

      • db

        Christopher,

        Remember Dennis gets to re-define words any he wants. We object to gun violence = we’re “haters”.

        Dennis gets to impute the writings of the most radical tweets he can find to Oliver. We must only tax him with his own writings & only with the definitions he puts on his own words.

        Disputing with Dennis is God’s way of telling you you have too much time on your hands.

        Marco,

        Dennis & loaded assault weapons. The bunnies are probably the only things safe.

  • Rheinhard

    And I’m sure Plunket was just as outraged in the comments section on ol’ Instapundit, when he insisted that “Heads must roll” over Benghazi. I’m sure Plunket was righteously indignant at the horrific image put forward by that hate-monger Glenn Reynolds of poor Susan Rice’s head in a guillotine.

    • Plunket

      Link please.

  • Plunket

    Shorter Oliver: ‘Garsh, I wonder why more people aren’t reacting like this.”

    “Murder every NRA member,” one person tweeted. The message was deleted, but not before being captured by Freedom Outpost.

    Can we now shoot the #NRA and everyone who defends them?” asked “John Cobarruvias.”

    “Someone should shoot this m*****f****r NRA President David Keene,” added “Michael Mayer.”

    In at least two other tweets, “Mayer” suggested using Keene for “target practice.”

    ——————–

    This is who they are. These are the things they say. Oliver and his friends who whip liberals up into a frenzy while clothing themselves in self-righteousness only make the situation unnecessarily worse…simply because it makes them feel better.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Shorter Dennis: If I can find one single example of something inappropriate by some liberal somewhere, you’re entire argument is invalid and I don’t have to actually say anything that actually responds to it.

    • Zython

      Isolated incident.