President Consoles Newtown, Vows Effort to Tame Gun Violence

obama_newtown_address_280
obama_newtown_address

REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From Reuters:

President Barack Obama on Sunday consoled the Connecticut town shattered by the massacre of 20 young schoolchildren and said the United States was not doing enough to protect its children.

"We bear a responsibility for every child ... This is our first task, caring for our children. It's our first job. If we don't get that right, we don't get anything right," Obama told a packed auditorium at Newtown High School at the end of a somber multi-faith service.

"Surely we can do better than this."

The emotional prayer vigil capped a day when worshippers sought solace in churches to mourn the victims of Friday's slaughter at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, where a gunman used a military-style assault rifle to kill six adults and 20 first-graders before committing suicide.

Enhanced by Zemanta