What Planet does Mary Matalin Live on?

Mary Matalin

Mary Matalin: Bonkers

By Ben Cohen: Picking up again on the theme of Right wing delusion in the wake of the Presidential election, political strategist Mary Matalin’s latest piece of venom against Obama in the National Review really is a sight to behold. The hate and anger spewing from her keyboard takes warped conservative thinking to a completely new level.

Here’s Matalin’s take on what went down on Tuesday night:

What happened? A political narcissistic sociopath leveraged fear and ignorance with a campaign marked by mendacity and malice rather than a mandate for resurgence and reform. Instead of using his high office to articulate a vision for our future, Obama used it as a vehicle for character assassination, replete with unrelenting and destructive distortion, derision, and division.

In this incredible, Rovian leap of logic, Matalin has taken all of the traits her party has exhibited over the past two decades and neatly attributed them to one of the most civil politicians in recent history. And she did it in one short paragraph. The sheer guts Matalin displays in this act of intellectual depravity must be recognized here – it takes a special type of person to say something so blatantly stupid on such a well read publication, and Matalin must be give some credit for courage.

Amazingly, it gets better. Seemingly completely oblivious to Romney’s demonstrable record of lying through his teeth at every given opportunity, shocking lack of serious policy suggestions, and continual flip flopping on every moral issue you could think of (abortion, health care, immigration to name a few), Matalin summed up Romney’s run at the White House in the following glowing terms:

Mitt Romney distinguished himself and conservatism with a grounded, courageous, forward-thinking problem-solving reform agenda for a nation ready to renew and starved for leadership and maturity. He is a man of integrity and character, as is his whole family. And unlike in the 1996 and 2008 Republican campaigns, which — though led by men of great personal integrity — were marked by dead-end policy prescriptions, Romney/Ryan laid a durable philosophical and policy foundation for the next generation of conservative leadership.

Trying to counter arguments like these with facts would be like explaining astrophysics to a dog. Matalin is so deeply entrenched in the warped world of Republican fantasy facts that she is completely unreachable. It is astonishing that her husband, the legendary Democratic strategist James Carville, manages to put up with this type of lunacy. I’m not normally one to comment on anyone’s marriage, but seriously, it’s a miracle someone grounded in reality could actually listen to their partner espouse such hateful bile.

I’m sure Matalin isn’t a bad person in her personal life, but her political views are positively horrific. It’s not that she’s conservative, it’s that she makes things up and vindictively attacks opponents with nasty lies. Characters like Matalin add to the poisonous atmosphere in Washington because of the histrionics of her rhetoric.

I have a conservative friend who told me “I don’t agree with Obama’s politics, but he seems like a good guy. I agree with Romney’s, but he’s not straight at all.” That’s an argument you can listen to – one grounded in reality, where lying is bad and being honest about what you stand for is good.

I don’t agree with Ron Paul’s politics in the slightest, but I acknowledge he’s a straightforward man with a good deal of integrity. You may not like Obama’s politics, but there has to be an acknowledgment that he behaves with uncommon grace and civility. You may agree with Romney’s politics (if you can pin them down), but you also have to acknowledge the fact that he has been fundamentally dishonest about who he is and what he stands for.

Matalin is a perfect example of why the GOP is in very serious trouble. They have painted a picture of Obama that bears no resemblance to reality, and the more they insist it’s real, the more ridiculous they sound. Matalin’s rhetoric is aimed to inspire the angry white men who will come out for Republicans no matter what. And as we just learned from the election, everyone else (the majority of Americans) just aren’t listening any more.

Matalin’s screed against the President after he won the election is even more useless now than it would have been last week. It’s a new day for the GOP, and they desperately need to change the way they go about politics. Telling Mary Matalin to go away would be a good start.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

  • Christopher Foxx

    Matalin is so deeply entrenched in the warped world of Republican fantasy facts that she is completely unreachable

    Exactly. So where is the courage in spouting the delusions she firmly believes in to those who share her delusion?

  • Christopher Foxx

    The sheer guts Matalin displays in this act of intellectual depravity must be recognized here – it takes a special type of person to say something so blatantly stupid on such a well read publication, and Matalin must be give some credit for courage.

    It takes courage to be a vindictive idiot in public?

    No, it does not. It does not take courage of any type to toe the party line and spout the nonsense that the Right has been gobbling up for years now.

    Courage would be demonstrated by her standing up and saying “folks, our side got it wrong.”

    Please don’t attribute praise-worthy traits to people who don’t have them. All it does is make you look like someone eager to appear even-handed with those who don’t deserve it.

  • db

    Well, it was alliterative.