Finally, a Balanced Discussion on the Israeli/Palestinian Conflict

The distortions flooding the internet and airwaves regarding the latest Israeli assault on Gaza are familiar and depressing. The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) has managed to frame the latest episode in the conflict as Israel ‘defending itself’ from incessant rocket attacks from the Gaza strip. The truth of course is far more nuanced and complicated. Predictably, the mainstream media in the US has run with the official Israeli narrative of events towing the line that Israel is merely defending itself from Arab terrorism. The truth is that the latest outburst of violence began when Israeli tanks made an incursion into Palestinian territory, and killed a 12 year old Palestinian boy playing football. Hamas then responded by sending rockets into Israel, and the violence has spiraled since.

My friend Ahmed Shihab-Edlin hosted a discussion on the Huff Post Live this morning discussing the increasingly brutal attack on Gaza, putting the conflict into perspective and looking at both sides of the story. I have to give a huge amount of credit to the Huffington Post for giving Ahmed a prominent platform to air views from a Palestinian perspective – historically a mortal sin in the American mainstream media. I highly recommend watching the very civilized discussion that doesn’t demonize either side:

I’ll be posting a more in-depth analysis about the conflict tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Enhanced by Zemanta

An Open Challenge To The Media: Can You Stop Using These Irritating Clickbait Headlines?

An Open Challenge To The Media: Can You Stop Using These Irritating Clickbait Headlines?

If you get most of your news from your Facebook feed these days, you probably get the feeling that yRead more...
The AP's Bombshell Hillary Clinton Email Story Fails to Prove Existence of "Homebrew" Server

The AP's Bombshell Hillary Clinton Email Story Fails to Prove Existence of "Homebrew" Server

The big Wednesday story in the Hillary Clinton email news cycle centered around a bombshell AssociatRead more...
Crazy Person Responds To Jimmy Kimmel: Calling Someone "Anti-Vaxxer" Is Like Racism and Gay-Bashing

Crazy Person Responds To Jimmy Kimmel: Calling Someone "Anti-Vaxxer" Is Like Racism and Gay-Bashing

If you've ever been unlucky enough to get into a fruitless debate with someone who believes that vacRead more...