Could this Really Work? Occupy Wall St Wants to Buy Your Debt

Occupy Wall St movement has largely disappeared from the public’s eye, not because it has diminished in ambition or desire to spark a social revolution, but because it has been working on the next phase of it’s agenda – taking the economy back from Wall St and giving to the people. In a fascinating new project that could deliver some serious results if it catches on, “The Rolling Jubilee,” Occupy Wall Street-affiliated operatives at Strike Debt have been coordinating with the IRS, and debt-brokers world to buy up distressed debt from lenders at rock bottom prices in order to forgive it. From their site:

A bailout of the people by the people.

We buy debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, we abolish it. We cannot buy specific individuals’ debt – instead, we help liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal.

The Jubilee begins November 15
with “The People’s Bailout,” a variety show and telethon in NYC.
All proceeds will go directly to buying people’s debt and cancelling it.

Here’s their official video explaining the concept and process in greater detail:

It’s important that projects like this gain mass support, otherwise Wall St will find a way to smash it to pieces. The financial industry makes billions of dollars buying and trading debt – there’s a fortune to be made hiking interest rates on poor people and forcing them into a life time of loan repayments and abject poverty, and they won’t give up the market without a fight. So please raise awareness about this project in the hope that it captures the public’s imagination and takes off.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Sorry, Adam Carolla, the IRS Will Never Be Abolished -- Ever

Sorry, Adam Carolla, the IRS Will Never Be Abolished -- Ever

The most childish yet entertaining policy initiative out of the tea party is the idea of abolishing Read more...
MEMBERS ONLY: Rand Paul Gives the Koch Brothers a Big Wet Kiss in TIME Because He Wants Their Money

MEMBERS ONLY: Rand Paul Gives the Koch Brothers a Big Wet Kiss in TIME Because He Wants Their Money

We have officially reached the point in which Republican presidential candidates no longer even put Read more...
Britt McHenry Would've Gotten Off Easier Had She Choked Someone To Death On Video

Britt McHenry Would've Gotten Off Easier Had She Choked Someone To Death On Video

If you've been on your computer or watched cable news in the past 24 hours, you probably know who BrRead more...