White Women Behind the Obama Bump

It still makes me uncomfortable to write about politics in terms of ethnic, socio economic and gender based terms, but I guess that’s the reality of how campaigns are planned and executed. Having said that, maybe Obama’s recent bump in the polls from a demographic he has had trouble connecting with in the past is a signal that America, or at least parts of it, are not so easily stereotyped. From the Atlantic:

Across most of the presidential battleground states, particularly in the Midwest, President Obama’s lead rests on a surprisingly strong performance among blue-collar white women who usually tilt toward the GOP.

A National Journal analysis of recent polling results across 11 states considered battlegrounds shows that in most of them, Obama is running considerably better than he is nationally among white women without a college education. Obama’s gains with these so-called “waitress moms” are especially pronounced in Heartland battlegrounds like Ohio, Wisconsin and Iowa.

The Democrats have been actively targeting this demographic, bombarding them with ads focusing on Romney’s wealth and indifference to the concerns of working Americans, so it’s probably nothing to get too excited about. But at least they feel more comfortable with a Black man in the Oval office than an aloof, rich white guy.

Isn’t that progress?

Enhanced by Zemanta

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

North Korea Officially Named in Sony Hack as Hackers Gloat Over Victory

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag