What To Do When Republicans Say Crazy, Insane Things

Here’s the biggest takeaway you need to have with regards to conservatives/Republicans: listen to what they say when they say crazy things.

Too often, the media — and the left — are so blown away by the severely conservative thoughts of the right that the instant thought is “they couldn’t really believe that, could they?” That gives the right an opportunity to play cleanup, to shroud the insane under a cloak of rationality so that they are able to calibrate their extremism into something that is more sell-able.

Today we have Richard Mourdock, an actual person running for the U.S. senate in Indiana, describing a child produced as a result of rape — I repeat, rape — as “something God intended.”

There shouldn’t be a single doubt in your mind that Mr. Mourdock believes this. The “religious” right believes this as well.

Similarly, when Mitt Romney proclaimed himself a “severe conservative,” flipped to being anti-choice, favored staying in Iraq forever, and railed against contraception coverage, the least we owe the man is believing he is what he said he is.

Modern conservatism is a radical ideology, at odds with traditional American culture and beliefs. Simply because it has been adopted by one of the two major political parties does not moderate its insanity.

They are beholden to a fringe and embed its extremism in their day to day legislating. They can cover it up in all sorts of flowery language and false sentiment about moderation, but that doesn’t change the core of what America is up against in the right.

If they say they support a position that is so right wing it makes your head spin, its probably what they really believe.

  • oi ly
  • Justanotherrighty

    45 comments, and maybe three relate to how rape relates to abortion. Did Oliver put up a “no thinking” sign? I missed that.
    What Mr Mourdock said was that “Even the children conceived by rape have a right to be born.” Now, you may not think so, but literally millions of people do. They are not crazy. Arguing about where it was written, or who said it was not crazy is dumb.
    You can either argue the point – children born of rape do not have a right to live – or you can shut the f*ck up !
    QED, my ass !

    • Zython

      I’d prefer to focus on what the rape victim wants and what’s best for her. But that’s just me.

      Not to mention that if we had universal access to emergency contraception, this could be a non-issue.

    • db

      Frank,

      Are you frothing at the mouth because we’re off-topic?

      “45 comments, and maybe three relate to how rape relates to abortion”

      Or are you frothing at the mouth because we are on topic?

      “You can either argue the point – children born of rape do not have a right to live – or you can shut the f*ck up !”

      I’m not particularly interested in, “QED, my ass !” But since I’ve admitted that I don’t understand why you froth in rage; I ‘m going to suggest you find a consenting adult & do whatever you wish with your ass.

      • oi ly

        He just likes frothing, db. Bet he wears a bib when he’s on Oliver’s Blog being the hallway monitor.

    • Wilbur

      children born of rape do not have a right to live

      Nice goalpost shift, Frank. The issue is not “children born of rape” having a right to live, it’s
      zygotes conceived by rape having a right to gestate for nine months regardless of the will of the binder they gestate in. Mourdock’s statement referred to the latter.

      • enlightened liberal

        And don’t you dare suggest to Frankie that poor women who are raped and conceive should have access to free healthcare. If they can’t afford healthcare they should have thought of that before they went out and got raped.

  • db

    Marco,

    I think you’re giving away too much when you allow Dennis to define the term “racist”.

    DA,

    Way to go Giants. Two favorites, the double off of the third base bag, & grounding into a double play catcher to second. Sandoval’s 3 HR is cool too.

    So what’s this about Dennis getting suspended?

  • Wilbur

    Nice to come back after a couple weeks’ absence and see Dennis posting the exact same bullpuckey over and over again.

    • Plunket

      The Five went to 4 1/2 with your absence, Wilbur. Just wasn’t the same.

      • Wilbur

        Including arcane references to entities that exist only within his own paranoid noggin.

  • db

    Good old Dennis,

    Blundering about as usual.

    Can’t see the difference between the white guy saying, “I’m going to…” and saying about the “colored guy”, “He’s going to…”.

    Or won’t see the difference but only he can answer that one.

    • M2

      And then there’s that.

      Dennis is very disturbed when he hears the n-word in hip-hip. “Why can’t I say it if Jay Z says it?”

      Lordy.

      • db

        Marco,

        I’ll go further & say there’s an intent aspect. Most any words can be racist when used to be racist. Some words that might be used “racist-ly” are not so when used without that purpose. I’m thinking of phrases like, “You want some watermelon?” which could bear either interpertation depending on useage & context.

  • Zython

    Dennis seems to have a lot more free time ever since he was suspended from work after QEDing himself in the break room.

    • M2

      He is off somewhere defending his racist girlfriend.

      • db

        Guys,

        Dennis got suspended from the Bank?

        And I missed the racist girlfriend entirely.

        • oi ly

          Sarah Palin, maybe?

        • M2

          Sarah “shuck & jive” Palin.

          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/24/sarah-palin-obama-shuck-and-jive-benghazi_n_2010833.html

          What a low life. But she sold a lot of books so Sarah = Socrates to the right. I have that correct, Dennis?

          • oi ly

            More lotion, Dennis.

          • db

            Thanks Marco,

            Though I would point out that Socrates (reportedly) had some nasty things to say about Democracy. On the other hand I don’t think Sarah Palin would approve of his opinion on “gay rights”

          • Plunket

            Marco, I’ve been trying to search the records here but I can’t find it, but do you remember what you said when Jay Carney said ““Sorry. I’m going to shuck and jive! Time to shuck and jive” just a little over a year ago?

            I’m sure you were just as outraged, a white guy working as the Press Secretary for the first African American president, but do you recall calling him a racist and a low-life, or did the opportunity just not present itself at the time?

          • M2

            No, Dennis I a sure you can’t find it because it doesn’t exist. Another figment of your right wing fever dream.

            I don’t excuse anyone using language as such. It’s deplorable. I know you think it’s fine because your core beliefs are based on the morals and actions of others.

            “Jay Carney said something stupid and racist so it’s fine if I do.” shorter Dennis about everything.

            “Say what you want, Sarah. A democrat said it, too. That makes it okay.”

            Seriously, I can’t understand what it’s like to live with a moral center that’s completely dependent on the permission of others. What’s it like, Dennis?

            Oh, and because “Someone said something once” is a favorite game of yours, did Sarah come out hard against Coulter for saying ‘Retard’ or is her scorn reserved for Democrats only?

            I know you follow Xena Racist Asshole around 24/7, so let me know.

          • oi ly

            Republican say crazy things, and decent folks respond –

            http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

  • oi ly
  • M2

    I stopped after James O’Keefe opened the show. Bwaahaa! Oh, wingnuts.

    • db

      Marco,

      More Breibarting? Thanks for saving me the time & effort.

      Dennis changing the subject (again).

      oi,

      I wonder how much Trump’d offer for Mitt Romney’s taxes for the past 10 years?

      • oi ly

        Maybe Soros will …

  • Plunket
  • oi ly

    Trump’s bombshell, sigh.

  • oi ly
  • M2

    Can we laugh? That’s how we usually react to our right wingnuts here. Point. Laugh. Laugh again. Sigh. Laugh a little more.

    • Plunket

      No, Marco, the way you usually react is to link to what some kid at MMfA wrote about a particular topic and then defer to them.

      • M2

        KIds. MMFA. College students. Got it, Dennis. Doesn’t get any funnier the 300th time you post it.

        But you’re right, I should defer to your talking points fountain, the fucking Free Beacon. THE FREE BEACON!!!

        Hilarious. Don’t ever change. “They still use bayonets!!!”

        Bwaaaha!

    • enlightened liberal

      Works for me. Look up Steton Kennedy who started something called “the frown campaign” in the civil rights movement. We could do something similar- whenever someone starts talking about ridiculous theories like the above, just point and laugh. I don’t believe in debating them, these points don’t deserve debate. Just derision.

      • enlightened liberal

        Stetson Kennedy

      • M2

        It does amaze me when Dennis and Frank come here, post or spout out something completely stupid (par for the course) and demand to be taken seriously.

        “But it’s an article from NRO/The Free Beacon/Gateway Pundit/Obama Sucks.org!”

        Point and laugh is truly all you can do, el. Agreed.

        • enlightened liberal

          Or ignore. You can do that. In the public sphere though when major media trumpets these as a “debate” I’m not sure what to do. Joe Biden’s responses to Paul Ryan was instructive. He just laughed in his face.

        • Plunket

          Be glad to get into a debate about the credentials of NRO writers vs. those of your Ben Demiero crushes, Marco.

          • M2

            Yeah, I am sure. K-lo and Jonah Goldberg: Who can compete with those intellectual titans? Did you help the latter lazy fuck research his book because work is hard?

            Put it in a certified letter, Dennis. You know, the Republican party’s preferred method of releasing informative foolery.

          • Plunket

            K-lo and Jonah Goldberg:

            I was wondering who at Media Matters might’ve possibly written a best-selling political book, Marco, but no luck so far. I see Eric Boehlert wrote ‘Bloggers on the Bus’ and it has seven mixed reviews on Amazon.com, but can’t tell how successful it was for him. Funny thing, I can’t think of one conservative who’s ever even mentioned it, as opposed to the liberal obsession over Goldberg’s blockbuster.

          • M2

            Oh, my God. Jonah sold a lot of books. He is obviously a major talent, like Sarah Palin, Stephanie Meyer and Justin Bieber, who also sell lots of garbage to their adolescent, demented fans.

            God, you told me, Dennis. Genius. I’ll take your sound “If it sells better…” advice on my lunch break. I was going to eat a big, healthy salad but I’ll have a Dbl Whopper with cheese because it sells better. Maybe two.

            Never change.

        • M2

          Laughing in their faces is a favorite pastime of mine, and they never stop delivering the hilarity. But ignoring them isn’t a bad idea. I don’t think they’ll go away, sadly.

          • enlightened liberal

            I ignore trolls, they don’t matter and they don’t deserve the attention. The legislators and press people that push this garbage still don’t deserve the attention, but they need to be laughed at as unserious people.

          • oi ly

            “Laughing in their faces is a favorite pastime of mine, and they never stop delivering the hilarity. But ignoring them isn’t a bad idea. I don’t think they’ll go away, sadly.”

            In the words of Mighty Mitt, “I concur”.

        • db

          But Marco,

          I really am puzzled by what Dennis was trying to get at. I know what I thought I wrote, what he says read is something else entirely.

          Or is this part of his game?

          el,

          Did you see Jon Stewarts chryon on the debate, “We missed game 7 of the NLCS for this?”

          • M2

            You think Dennis has a point? Giving person.

          • enlightened liberal

            No, but that’s pretty funny. I lose interest in baseball when my team drops out.

  • db

    But Oliver,

    You don’t really answer the question in your headline. What do we do?

    We’ve got Fox “News” claiming that these ideas aren’t insane at all.
    We’ve got Dennis who can argue that Mourdock is literally right.
    We’ve got a MSM that falls all over itself to be fair & balanced to the point where they must find an equal number of falsehoods in the two campaigns.
    We’ve got WMR who can flip his position inside the same Presidential debate.

    • Plunket

      Please, db, tell us all here what God’s intentions are what just what is insane and not insane. Then tell all the children out there alive and well today who were born out of rape that God never intended for them to be alive, that it’s insane for them to think otherwise.

      I’ve always been amazed by your ability to know other people’s thoughts, but I never knew you had that same ability with God’s thought processes.

      And since you won’t tell me what you meant by that priceless comment with the African American hurricane refugees you were hoping for, maybe you could tell me what God thought of it. Did he intend for you to say that?

      • db

        Dennis,

        I can make the argument as well as you.

        All things are part of God’s plan.
        We are limited & can not understand all of God’s plan.
        God’s plan works for the good.
        Therefore
        Things that appear horrible, stupid, insane, are only so through our limited viewpoint.

        QED

        I do not claim to know the mind of the Almighty. As Lincoln advised, I do not worry about having God on my side, I worry about being on God’s side.
        I claim to have seen this argument run often enough to know how it works.
        I know you (enjoy?) play silly literal word games.
        I guessed you’d play that game.

        ” Then tell all the children out there alive and well today who were born out of rape that God never intended for them to be alive, that it’s insane for them to think otherwise.”

        QED

        • Plunket

          The QED is that your view of what God thinks or intends is no better or no worse, and no more sane or less sane than Mourdock’s. That’s what you just said. It’s not what you or Oliver said before, though. You flip-flopped and then QED’d yourself. That’s insane.

          • db

            Dennis,

            If you made any sense; I’d try to respond. As it is; I can’t see what you’re complaining of.

            More silly word games?

          • Plunket

            Shorter db: “Flip-flop. QED. Wait, what did I say again?”