The Right Disappeared The Iraq War. We Can’t Let Them.

Remember the Iraq War? For the good part of the previous decade, it was the defining issue, impacting both foreign and domestic policy. And then… nothing.

It’s sort of amazing how the right has been able to both maneuver themselves away from association with the Iraq War and – on the surface at least – into some sort of dovish movement that should be taken seriously on foreign policy and national security.

We shouldn’t allow this.

Mitt Romney, in his 2007-8 incarnation, was among the warmongering hordes. Romney opposed any withdrawal from Iraq and was among the supporters of the initial invasion. That is, when he had a chance to take the right position on the war, he chose the easy and wrong answer. At the same time, Barack Obama had openly opposed what he described as a “dumb war.”

Even measured against the positions of those who eventually turned against the war based on the lack of WMD and the Bush administration’s poor execution, Romney sticks out for his adherence to failed policies. This year he lamented the draw-down of troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Still, he surrounds himself with Iraq War agitators and bellicose warmongers like John Bolton and Dan Senor.

Romney has shown himself to be, as Jon Huntsman described, a “well-lubricated weather vane.” That would likely mean he would continue his previous pattern of easily being led around by the nose. I can’t imagine Romney having the fortitude to go against the warmongers, and his rhetoric in the election on key issues like Iran shows that he hasn’t done so when given the chance.

Despite their flowery rhetoric and the complicity of the mainstream press, the Republicans – and the affiliated conservative movement – is the Iraq War party. They still are. And that’s why they are so dangerous.

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

Fox News Thinks 'The Interview' Flap Is Obama's Fault

Fox News Thinks 'The Interview' Flap Is Obama's Fault

  • oi ly

    Hey Dennis, Shashank Tripathi!

    You guys are fucking great.

  • Wilbur

    Woops, that was meant to be in reply to Farris’s 5:20 pm bawl.

  • Wilbur

    Not to mention that campaigning where they can both get some swing state airtime and do good for some down-ticket comrades are what candidates do when they’re feeling reasonably confident about their overall chances.

    Meanwhile, desperation is holding a hurricane relief event in one of the states least affected by the hurricane because you’re too scared to leave that state, because you know you’re losing that state and if you lose that state you lose the election.

    Desperation is engaging in orchestrated character assassination of a pollster who has the gall to say you’re not likely to win.

    This is a close election – I’m not willing to call it yet, but to say the dem’s are acting more desperate than the repubs is simply delusional.

  • oi ly
  • oi ly

    “KETTERING, Ohio – Mitt Romney repeatedly ignored questions about his position on federal funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at an event for storm victims Tuesday.

    After speaking briefly to supporters and gathering donations Romney, Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and some campaign staffers headed outside into the cold, rainy afternoon and proceeded to load up a yellow Penske truck with supplies, canned goods and other donated items.

    “Governor, are you going to see some storm damage?” one reporter asked.

    Several others again asked Romney whether he would eliminate FEMA.

    “Governor, you’ve been asked 14 times. Why are you refusing to answer the question?” one asked.

    Romney ignored the reporters’ queries and continued loading up the truck. Earlier, during the event, he ignored similar queries.

    During a 2011 primary debate, Romney supported the idea of curtailing federal disaster response and letting states and the private sector take on a bigger role.

    “Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction,” he said. “And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better.”

    Campaign aides insisted Monday that Romney would not abolish FEMA if he became president.”

    Despicable man Romney.

    • db

      C’mon el,

      Why should WMR actuallky state a position now that he’s close in the polls? He’s bee the Anti-Obama from the get go. “Severely Conservative” in the primaries, “Moderate Mitt” in the general election debates. Why blow it now by saying something specific?

    • enlightened liberal

      Romney to Governor Krispy Kreme Christie: “Here’s my number, call me maybe?”

  • SaveFarris

    Sir Knight, that’s Brady playing into the 4th quarter with a 30-point lead.

    Have you SEEN a football game before?

    “Brady playing into the 4th quarter with a 30-point lead” would be Obama and Biden barnstorming Texas.

    • db

      Farris,

      You probably meant a 30 point deficit as I don’t think any of us called TX for the President. Or perhaps you confused football with golf where a high score is bad.

      • SaveFarris

        Clinton’s not in MN because Obama/Biden have MN have a 30 point lead there. He’s there because of the poll yesterday (as well as a few internals we don’t know about, I’m sure) that had Romney within the margin of error. Otherwise, Clinton would be in OH/FL/VA/NH and all the other known hot-spots.

        Although I realize you’re trying to cling to any rationality you can as you see President “Have I told you I killed Bin Ladin yet?”‘s chances slowly slip away.

        • db

          Farris,

          How many political campaigns have you managed?

          An event in MN will get regional coverage which will also help in WI & IA. An event with President Clinton will get national attention. Particularly is he comes up with a telling sound bite for the nightly news.

          While one concentrates in the “battleground” areas; one doesn’t ignore his supporters. You let them see the big names & thank them for their successful efforts.

  • Plunket

    Bill Clinton to Minnesota today. Joe ‘Did your son always have balls the size of cue balls?’ Biden to Pennsylvania, along with big ad buys.

    No, Wilbur, no desperation at all.

    • Wilbur

      Haw, that ain’t desperation, Sir Knight, that’s Brady playing into the 4th quarter with a 30-point lead.

      Desperation is trying to find some solace in your opponent’s travel schedule.

    • Zython

      Yes, clearly, campaigning is a sign of ‘desperation”.

      Are you paid to be this stupid or something?

      • Plunket

        Yes, clearly, campaigning is a sign of ‘desperation”. –Late and Clueless, Backwards ‘B’ Zython

        Minnesota hasn’t voted Republican in a presidential election since 1972. Pennsylvania hasn’t since 1988.

        Meanwhile….

        Former Pacific Fleet chief Adm. James A. Lyons: Obama needs to come clean on what happened in Benghazi
        The American people deserve to know the truth

        There is an urgent need for full disclosure of what has become the “Benghazi Betrayal and Cover-up.” The Obama national security team, including CIA, DNI and the Pentagon, apparently watched and listened to the assault on the U.S. consulate and cries for help but did nothing. If someone had described a fictional situation with a similar scenario and described our leadership ignoring the pleas for help, I would have said it was not realistic—not in my America – but I would have been proven wrong.

        ………

        Somebody high up in the administration made the decision that no assistance (outside our Tripoli embassy) would be provided, and let our people be killed. The person who made that callous decision needs to be brought to light and held accountable. According to a CIA spokesperson, “No one at any level in the CIA told anybody not to help those in need.” We also need to know whether the director of CIA and the director of National Intelligence were facilitators in the fabricated video lie and the overall cover-up. Their creditability is on the line. A congressional committee should be immediately formed to get the facts out to the American people. Nothing less is acceptable.

        • Zython

          A simple “yes” or “no” would have sufficed.

        • db

          Dear Old Dennis,

          Trying to change the subject again.

          One wonders how Fox “News” & Dennis are going to blame President Obama for the hurricane. It’s apparent that “Benghazi-gate” isn’t getting the traction they’d like. So it’s on to the next “scandal du jour”

        • Zython

          Also, are you familiar with the Red Queen’s Race? Basically, it means that you have to maintain momentum just to keep the status quo. It applies to advertising, which campaigning is a form of.

          Since you’re probably too thick to understand that, I’ll just ask you a question. Are companies like Coca-Cola & McDonalds “desperate” because they advertise?

  • Wilbur

    Thus saith Dennis, the Black Knight:

    all the old tropes liberals gravitate toward when things look desperate: Republicans are Crazy, Republicans are War-Mongers, Republicans are Racists.

    When things look desperate? a) I’m the opposite of desperate; b) I say those things all the time!

  • Plunket

    Then everyone would be barking loons like us.

    The last three blog posts here have been all the old tropes liberals gravitate toward when things look desperate: Republicans are Crazy, Republicans are War-Mongers, Republicans are Racists.

    ‘Everyone would be barking loons’ is classic projection, Wilbur.

    The Benghazi screw-up with Obama jetting off to Las Vegas the next day and blaming it on a spontaneous demonstration from an obscure video and the corresponding cover-up is EXACTLY the kind of things liberals and the liberal media would be barking like banshees about had the same thing been done by a Republican president.

    • oi ly

      The so called liberal media went awol leading up to Bush’s reign in Iraq. Don’t you ever take off your tin foil hat?

      • db

        oi,

        No, he just wanders from “scandal” to “scandal” hopinn that something sticks.

        • Plunket

          Tell that to Tyrone Woods’ father, db.

          He just wants to know why no one came in to help his son for those seven hours.

          • db

            And who was it who objected to dragging grieving parents into politics when it was Iraqi War dead? Dennis?

          • Zython

            Ah, more manufactured outrage from Dennis. How droll.

  • Plunket

    The Left Wants to Disappear the Benghazi Cover-up Until After the Election. The Media Shouldn’t Let Them.

    And when the bodies of the dead Americans were returned to the United States, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton misappropriated the occasion to deliver politically-motivated lies, both to the victims’ survivors and to the American people. All of that we now know for sure. If, in addition, there is credible evidence that American soldiers, fighting desperately for their lives against our country’s most bitter enemies, called for help but were cynically left to perish in order to protect Barack Obama’s petty re-election campaign, Obama will not only lose the election but will be turned out of office in disgust by a clear majority of voters. Reporters and editors know this. It will be interesting to see how they respond during the coming days: will they do their jobs, or will they assist their candidate with his cover-up?

    • Wilbur

      Shorter Dennis/Powerline: Maybe there will be a miraculous outbreak of Obama Derangement Syndrome in the next eight days. Then everyone would be barking loons like us.

      And of course, should the media conspiracy succeed in re-electing Obama, it’s !mPEE333EE!CHm1nt time (again)!

  • oi ly

    It’s a great feeling to not pursue Dennis’ link!

  • Plunket
  • db

    Oliver,

    Again a very cogent argument with no suggestion for practical application. Fox “News” apparently believes that the world was created, fully formed, in 2009. What are we supposed to do? Call up Rush Limbaugh’s show & ask him about it? If President Obama won’t act, what can we do?

    Repack, (above the fold)

    I’m not sure GWB’s intention was to kill Americans or make the Muslim world hate us. I suspect that he really thought the US Troops would be greeted by cheering crowds.