The Daily Banter Mail Bag!!! The Veep Debate! Vegas Presidents! Food Porn!

Welcome to this week’s edition of The Daily Banter Mailbag! Today, Bob, Ben and Chez discuss the vice presidential debate; their ultimate Vegas president; and Food Porn!

The questions:

1) What a performance!!! Ryan looked like a 15 year old in there against a very statesman like Vice President. Two parts to this question – first, how are the Republicans going to spin this one, and second, can Obama top Biden’s performance, and does he need to? (ok, that’s three, sorry!)
Nick L.

Ben: Agreed Nick, Ryan was WAY out of his league against Biden. It wasn’t that Ryan was awful, it was that Joe was on fire last night. Obama was actively terrible against Romney, who was very good (not half as good as Biden though). The Republicans will just stick to their guns when trying to retell the story of the debate – they’ll say “Ryan did his job and told the American public about the choice they face” etc etc. I don’t think they’ll try to claim a victory to aggressively because, well, they can’t. It was pretty damn clear. Obama needs to put forth a similarly fiery performance to really seal this thing up if you ask me. Is he capable of it? Possibly, but it’s not really his nature to get too hyped up at debates. I think a very good performance from Obama will suffice – maybe Biden has set the bench mark a bit too high as he’s far better suited to the format. Regardless, Obama cannot do what he did last week. No way.

Chez: I assume this question will have something to do with last night’s debate. I mix tenses because I’m typing out my mailbag answers on Thursday afternoon before the actual debate and I won’t be able to watch the debate itself because it’s my girlfriend’s birthday today (again, Thursday) and I’m taking her out to dinner tonight. With that in mind, I’ll just pretend to have watched. I thought the debate went well. I especially liked the moment when Joe Biden accidentally called Paul Ryan “a cunt” and then inexplicably ran out into the audience and kicked a midget in the nuts. Good stuff. Also wasn’t surprised when Ryan, in an effort to reach out to female voters on behalf of the Romney campaign, ripped his shirt and proceeded to pour a pitcher full of cold water down his muscular pecs and abs. Kudos to Martha Raddatz for getting up and walking out in frustration about halfway through the whole thing. It’s what I would’ve done.

Bob: First answer: AM talk radio and Fox News Channel, occupied by thousands of loud-mouthed, obnoxious bullies, will be dedicated to accusing Joe Biden of being a loud-mouthed, obnoxious bully. Second answer: the president could definitely top it, but not in the same way. He simply can’t be as cowboy-aggressive as Biden. It’s not Obama — and no one who’s followed the president, and supported him all these years should expect Obama to act like Biden. It’s an unfair and unrealistic expectation. Third answer: he should try to top it in his own way.

2) With all the former presidents on the table, which one would you want to spend a weekend in Vegas with, no holds barred?
Jason

Bob: Three words: J.F.K. Do I even need to say why?

Ben: No question about it, George W. Bush. Yeah, the guys is an idiot, the worst President of anything ever, wrecked the country and half of the Middle East etc etc but I hear he’s a riot out and about. Vegas would be pretty funny with Dubya and you probably wouldn’t remember anything about it, so it wouldn’t actually count as hanging out with him. Runner up would have to be Bill Clinton, although he’d probably get lost in a strip club somewhere.

Chez: Is there even a debate? Clinton. My god, the chubby girl ass that guy would score. Although George W. Bush would have blow.

3) Chez and Bob spend a lot of time on the podcast after-party talking about food porn. Please explain how these shows are entertaining when you can’t even taste what they make, I honestly don’t get it. Does it help if you’ve been drinking?
Thanks!!
Wendy

Chez: You know, believe it or not I actually do get some good cooking ideas from those kinds of shows. Also, I’m not a really big fan of the “personality driven” shows, besides Bourdain’s stuff, and more prefer the cooking competitions like Chopped and Iron Chef America. I think that’s where you really see what people are capable of when it comes to cooking and it inspires my girlfriend and me to hit the kitchen. (She’s a truly brilliant chef; I can hold my own on a good day.) As for drinking — that generally makes everything better, silly.

Bob: Everything is better if you’re drinking, of course. And the cooking shows that I watch are typically either really well-produced documentary shows like Anthony Bourdain, or competition shows like Chopped and Iron Chef. It’s more about the competitive excitement of the show and less about the food. My fiancee, Joy, is a fantastic chef so it’s fun to get dinner ideas vicariously through her expertise. With Bourdain, I’m really into travel and non-touristy destinations — plus, he’s a badass.

Ben: I must confess to being a bit of a fan of those type of cooking shows, although I haven’t watched one in a couple of years (I generally avoid TV). Best cooking show I’ve ever seen was the BBC’s ‘Last Restaurant Standing’ where duos compete to open a restaurant with the brilliant chef and restauranter Raymond Blanc. A very elegant show that mixed serious culinary skills and an interesting insight in what it means to open and run a successful restaurant. Sure you can’t taste the food, but the ability of the chefs and show producers to explain and present the food can help you imagine, and more importantly, inspire you to try yourself. I can’t speak for Bob or Chez, but I think drinking helps enormously….

——

Got a question for the mailbag? Email us at TheDailyBanter@gmail.com!!!