Romney Campaign Plays The Race Card With Powell Endorsement

Speaking to CNN’s Piers Morgan, Romney campaign national co-chair John Sununu explained why Colin Powell endorsed President Obama, in his view:

SUNUNU: You have to wonder whether that’s an endorsement based on issues or that he’s got a slightly different reason for President Obama.

MORGAN: What reason would that be?

SUNUNU: Well, I think that when you have somebody of your own race that you’re proud of being President of the United States — I applaud Colin for standing with him.

Disgusting. I definitely have my issues with General Powell, but this conservative insistence that he backs Obama out of racial identity is just the worst. Does Romney have the support of Clint Eastwood, George W. Bush, Kid Rock, and Ann Coulter solely over their shared racial identity?

Furthermore, when Gen. Powell supported George W. Bush in 2000 and had a speaking slot at the Republican Convention, did he do so because Bush is a black man?

Similarly, the right has insisted that the overwhelming black support for President Obama is solely out of racial unity. That must be why previous black candidates for president like Al Sharpton failed to receive serious support from black voters. That must also be why black voters have voted for a white person for president ever since we earned the right to exercise our franchise.

Planet Romney can’t seem to understand that perhaps Powell supports Obama’s coherent foreign policy, rather than Romney’s “quick, what’s the sentiment on Fox News” doctrine. Nope, Powell’s endorsement of Obama has just got to be a black thing.

You know how they are.

  • oi ly

    “The poll finds that racial prejudice is not limited to one group of partisans. Although Republicans were more likely than Democrats to express racial prejudice in the questions measuring explicit racism (79 percent among Republicans compared with 32 percent among Democrats), the implicit test found little difference between the two parties. That test showed a majority of both Democrats and Republicans held anti-black feelings (55 percent of Democrats and 64 percent of Republicans), as did about half of political independents (49 percent).”

    • db

      oi,

      Not having the time to dig into the story; it strikes me that the definitions you set for “anti-black feelings” are going to determine your outcome; particularly as you are looking for “implicit” feelings. It strikes me at a glance as being one of those pseudo-polls/science that are done to grab headlines.

      Also I suggest the study goes a large way down the road I accuse Dennis of following: i.e. if everyone is a racist then no one is a racist. If the definition is too broad then the impact is diluted.

  • oi ly
  • Justanotherrighty

    “But it’s most likely a factor”
    You’re not even mistaken; you’re a goddamed liar !

    • oi ly
      • Plunket

        Oilyness,

        That can be explained easily as being largely due to the Chris Matthews-like contingent of activist white-guilt liberals who make it their calling to go around charging other whites as racists for saying words like “apartment”, “Chicago”, “welfare”, “golf”, “shuck-and-jive”, “chair”, “professor”, “Constitution”, “angry”, “kitchen cabinet”, “privileged” and “Obamacare”. Of course, these are only racist when uttered by white Republicans.

        It’s simply in many white liberals’ best interests to ramp up the racial animosity on both sides. And on few blogs is it more evident than this one.

        • oi ly

          Hey Dennis, belly on up to the table and have another slice of Meatloaf!

    • Zython

      Franks has no objection to the claim that black people only support Obama because of his race. Outraged at the suggestion that some white people only support Romney because of his race. Can’t say I’m surprised.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Oliver: Does Romney have the support of Clint Eastwood, George W. Bush, Kid Rock, and Ann Coulter solely over their shared racial identity?

    Soley? No. But it’s most likely a factor. It definitely is for Ann Coulter and her ilk.

  • oi ly

    “Though it does sadden me to see the “race card” played in the 21st Century.”

    Not the century they’re living in …

  • enlightened liberal

    But don’t you dare call them racist…

    In reality, more people vote against President Obama because he’s black than vote for President Obama because he’s black. That’s the dark truth that FoxNews doesn’t want you to think about.

  • db

    C’mon Oliver,

    None of our resident trolls, none of the Fox “News” crowd, not even Mitt Romney has told us a positive reason for voting for Romney as opposed to voting against President Obama. What makes you think they’ll come up with one now?

    Though it does sadden me to see the “race card” played in the 21st Century. Here I was thinking that we could drop the African part of African-American & let all be Americans; regardless of race, creed, or color.

    • Plunket

      Here I was thinking that we could drop the African part of African-American & let all be Americans; regardless of race, creed, or color.

      Try telling that to all the folks who had some choice words for Stacey Dash after she endorsed Mitt Romney.

      That was real outrage, db, not the manufactured kind you’re seeing in this blog post.

      • Zython

        That never happened, Dennis. For that would require there to be people who know or care who Stacy Dash is.