GOP Sends Mixed Messages on Romney Debate Expectations

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From ABC News:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, never one to be shy when it comes to speaking his mind, today predicted that Mitt Romney would turn the presidential race around in the upcoming debate with President Obama.

Romney, who is down in new polls both nationwide and in the battleground states of Iowa and Ohio, needs to do well in the debate Wednesday in order to gain momentum as the campaign heads into its final stretch.

Christie said that was exactly what Romney would get in his head-to-head matchup with the president.

“I have absolute confidence that when we get to Thursday morning, George, all you’re going to be shaking your head, saying it’s a brand-new race,” Christie told George Stephanopoulos on ABC’s “This Week.”

The problem is, Christie is off script. The Romney campaign is trying to lower expectations, and vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan led the charge.

“President Obama is a very gifted speaker. The man’s been on the national stage for many years,” Ryan said on “Fox News Sunday,” repeating a line he’s been using on the campaign trail. “This is Mitt’s first time on this kind of a stage.”

Of course, Ryan was not saying that Romney won’t give voters a clear reason to support him over Obama: He said Romney will offer a “choice” during the debate.

Enhanced by Zemanta

More on the Banter:

MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: My Little Pony Sex Dolls, Marriage Advice and Batman Movies!!

MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: My Little Pony Sex Dolls, Marriage Advice and Batman Movies!!

On this week's NSFW Video Mail Bag, Ben, Chez and Bob discuss My Little Pony Sex Dolls, bank accountRead more...
The Daily Banter Video Mail Bag: The GOP Contenders, Links from Bill Maher, and Andrew Sullivan

The Daily Banter Video Mail Bag: The GOP Contenders, Links from Bill Maher, and Andrew Sullivan

On this week's edition of The Daily Banter Video Bag, Ben, Chez (who was dressed up as a frog...) anRead more...
Bristol Palin: Sarah Palin's Speech Didn't Suck Because Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bristol Palin: Sarah Palin's Speech Didn't Suck Because Martin Luther King, Jr.

There aren't enough MLK quotes on record to have rescued that train wreck.Read more...
Texas Republicans Want To Limit Cancer Screenings Because They Have Fetal Derangement Syndrome

Texas Republicans Want To Limit Cancer Screenings Because They Have Fetal Derangement Syndrome

Everything is bigger in Texas, including the Fetal Derangement Syndrome.Read more...
MEMBERS ONLY: Tony Robbins And The Bullsh*t Behind 'Self Help' America

MEMBERS ONLY: Tony Robbins And The Bullsh*t Behind 'Self Help' America

Of all the bullshitters in the industry, the most dangerous are the most seemingly genuine, and TonyRead more...