Gingrich on Meet the Press: Romney Lied About Tax Cuts for the Wealthy

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From TPM:

Newt Gingrich called out Mitt Romney on Sunday for backing off his promise to cut taxes on the wealthy after winning the Republican nomination.

“I think it’s clear he changed,” Gingrich said on NBC’s “Meet The Press” roundtable, admitting that Romney had shifted from wanting to lower taxes on all Americans to promising that his reform plan would not lower taxes paid by the wealthy.

Romney’s pledge is to cut tax rates across the board by 20 percent and recover the lost revenue by closing unnamed credits and deductions for high income earners. The net effect, he says, would be to lower the burden on the middle class and keep effective taxes constant on the rich without increasing the deficit — goals that nonpartisan experts deem mathematically infeasible.

In February, during a GOP primary debate, Romney said, “We’re going to cut taxes on everyone across the country by 20 percent, including the top 1 percent.”

On Wednesday, facing down President Obama, he insisted, “I will not reduce the taxes paid by high-income Americans.”

Gingrich said Romney’s inconsistency was “good politics” but violates a conservative belief. “What he said is something that, frankly, true supply-siders don’t necessarily love, but it’s good politics — he said, ‘I will close enough deductions that wealthy Americans will not get a net tax cut,’” the former House speaker said.

Enhanced by Zemanta

MEMBERS ONLY: The After Party Podcast! Millennials vs Gen-X, the Big Star Doc on Netflix, The Feels and Chez's New Music Countdown

MEMBERS ONLY: The After Party Podcast! Millennials vs Gen-X, the Big Star Doc on Netflix, The Feels and Chez's New Music Countdown

Download the MP3 75 minutes, 32MB Not Safe For Work! This week: Number 1 Album: Chez's New Read more...
Feminist Poet Solves Most Pressing Issue In Feminism

Feminist Poet Solves Most Pressing Issue In Feminism

The pantheon of feminist goddesses houses a formidable gallery of thinkers, visionaries, and revolutRead more...
Sorry, Indiana Conservatives, There's Nothing in the Bible that Forbids Selling Things to Gay People

Sorry, Indiana Conservatives, There's Nothing in the Bible that Forbids Selling Things to Gay People

Gov. Mike Pence (R-IN) signed legislation on Thursday that allows business-owners to discriminate agRead more...