Why it's so Fun to Watch the GOP Fall Apart

Michael Tomasky at The Daily Beast encapsulates what most on the left have been thinking over the past two weeks:

What a fantastic last two weeks these have been. I don’t even mean Barack Obama solidifying his lead over Mitt Romney, although that’s perfectly fine. No, I mean the near-mathematically perfect joy of watching these smug and contemptible creatures of the right dodge and swerve and make excuses and, most of all, whine. There is no joy in the kingdom of man so great as the joy of seeing bullies and hucksters laid low, and watching people who have arrogantly spent years assuming they were right about the world living to see all those haughty assumptions die before their eyes. Watching them squirm is more fun than watching Romney and Paul Ryan flail away.

Tomasky is spot on - it is incredibly satisfying to watch the Republicans melt down so dramatically given the incredible hubris they've displayed. The Republicans believed the American public would buy into Romney's vision for the country, buy into the xenophobic, Darwinistic philosophy that divides the country along racial and economic lines, and it simply isn't working.

The Romney campaign understands they are in deep, deep trouble and you're going to see a lot of 'image makeover' appearances from their candidate in the weeks preceding November 4th. Barring an alien takeover of Romney's body, it isn't going to work and we can just look forward to more awkwardness and uncomfortable appearances from the former governor. Romney is incapable of connecting on an emotional or sympathetic level with voters because, well, he can't. As Tomasky points out "Americans like Barack Obama. They don’t like Romney." Pretty simple really.

Enhanced by Zemanta