Romney Shock Video: Candidate Reveals True Feelings About Half the Nation

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From Yahoo! News:

Mitt Romney told a group of donors in a surreptitiously taped private fundraiser that voters who back President Obama are “entitled” and “dependent on government.”

Mother Jones magazine obtained videos of the fundraiser from an anonymous source. The magazine said it took place after Romney clinched the Republican presidential nomination in the spring, but wouldn’t specifically name the event to protect its source.

Romney told the donors:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. … These are people who pay no income tax. My job is is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.

Romney seems to be referring to the estimated 47 percent of Americans who did not owe federal income taxes in 2011 because their incomes were so low that they qualified for a tax credit, or because they didn’t work at all. Last year, 22 percent of people who didn’t owe income taxes were elderly people on Social Security, and an additional 17 percent were students, disabled people or the unemployed. More than 60 percent of the group were low-income workers, many of whom qualified for the child tax credit or the earned income tax credit. (These workers did pay payroll taxes for Social Security and other programs.)

Enhanced by Zemanta

(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)

More on the Banter:

MEMBERS ONLY: The Real Reason Why Anti-Obamacare CEOs Are Allegedly Cutting Employee Hours

MEMBERS ONLY: The Real Reason Why Anti-Obamacare CEOs Are Allegedly Cutting Employee Hours

If this theory is accurate, it's difficult to point to another chapter in history when major billionRead more...
Now We Can See How Homophobic, Racist and Misogynist "Friends" Really Was

Now We Can See How Homophobic, Racist and Misogynist "Friends" Really Was

When we revisit Friends on Netflix now that all ten seasons are available to stream -- looking at itRead more...
Ted Nugent Still Thinks Obama is a "Subhuman Mongrel"

Ted Nugent Still Thinks Obama is a "Subhuman Mongrel"

One year later, he not only stands by the insult, but said in an interview that it was "too delicateRead more...
Why People Are Frightened To Say 'Super Bowl' On Television

Why People Are Frightened To Say 'Super Bowl' On Television

Ever notice how some people on TV call the Super Bowl the "Big Game?" The popular understanding is Read more...
Here's the Bizarre Online Trail Left by the Ex-Employee Who Killed Himself Outside Fox News HQ

Here's the Bizarre Online Trail Left by the Ex-Employee Who Killed Himself Outside Fox News HQ

Given that it was such a sad and desperate act, it would be nice to be able to say that Phillip PereRead more...