Romney Inexplicably Makes Case for Massachusetts Health Care Reform

Romney, as governor of Massachusetts, signing "Romneycare" into law. (He should avoid making this face. Always.)

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From NBC News:

TOLEDO, OH — Mitt Romney on Wednesday pointed to the health care reform law he enacted as governor of Massachusetts as proof of his empathy and care for the American people.

In an interview with NBC News, Romney referenced an element of his record he almost never invokes on the campaign trail to answer a question about how he can better connect with Americans and prove he understands the lives and trials of middle class Americans.

“I think throughout this campaign as well, we talked about my record in Massachusetts, don’t forget — I got everybody in my state insured,” Romney told NBC’s Ron Allen in an interview before his rally here tonight. “One hundred percent of the kids in our state had health insurance. I don’t think there’s anything that shows more empathy and care about the people of this country than that kind of record.”

Romney’s health care law in Massachusetts has long been a lightning rod issue for conservatives, who unfavorably compare it to President Barack Obama’s own federal law and as a damning reflection on Romney’s conservative bonafides.

The former Massachusetts governor also touched on another portion of his biography that he seldom discusses to connect with average Americans: his time as a Mormon pastor.

Enhanced by Zemanta