Romney Cheerleader Hugh Hewitt: Always Wrong On Everything

Hugh Hewitt really, really likes Mitt Romney.

In 2007 he wrote the book A Mormon In The White House?, which was described by Reed Business Information as “an efficient and effective exercise in political hagiography.” For a long time, Hewitt was the top Romney cheerleader in the conservative movement, always able to see the silver lining behind Romney’s doomed-to-fail 2008 presidential campaign.

He’s probably been surpassed by the Washington Post‘s delightfully hacktastic Jennifer Rubin in service of the Massachusetts millionaire, but Hewitt is still out there, toiling at the second tier of conservative talk below Hannity/Limbaugh/Beck/Huckabee in defense of his man Mitt.

What I personally dislike about Hewitt is the way he uses the appearance of certainty to ignore reality. Everyone in punditry uses a sense of certainty around their assessments – yours truly included – but Hewitt has this really arrogant way of saying something absolutely devoid of fact to predict the future, and is more often than not spectacularly wrong about it.

Even conservatives began to tune out Hewitt during the 2008 campaign. In the closing weeks of the race he began posting online brochures from Trinity Baptist’s Sunday services, doing his part to conflate the views of Rev. Jeremiah Wright with Barack Obama. Even his diehard readers at the time commented that they had no idea what the point of the exercise was, and that it made Hewitt look even sillier than usual. He no longer has comments on his blog posts.

Here’s a look back at some spectacular wrongness by Hugh Hewitt, almost all in service of shining Mitt Romney’s shoes.

First, you should know that like many media conservatives, Hewitt did not like John McCain, and even worse in the early part of 2008, McCain was standing between Hewitt’s Beloved and the Republican nomination. So for a good amount of time, Hewitt was constantly trashing McCain.

In January of 2008, Hewitt explained how even though he had won the New Hampshire primary, it was impossible for McCain to convince conservative Republicans to make him their nominee.

McCain won in New Hampshire because of independents, and is neck-and-neck with Romney in Michigan because of independents and Democrats.  He lost Republicans by a landslide in Iowa, and he lost Republicans in New Hampshire to Romney, as he will in Michigan tomorrow.  Only the MSM’s studied indifference to these facts keeps McCain’s hope and alleged momentum alive.

But GOP voters have already spoken and will continue to do so between now and Texas and Ohio.  Their rejection of McCain will surprise the pundits, but not the GOP.

McCain, of course, continued to win Republican primary votes as Romney had to continuously talk about how he had won “silver” by coming behind McCain.

This didn’t dissuade Hewitt, who continued to dig for the pony under the pile of excrement being generated by Romney’s campaign. February 2008:

If the swing towards Romney in California continues, he will emerge from Tuesday’s contest in a solid second place with a new narrative and a renewed debate about the race –can Romney surpass McCain in Ohio and Texas in March?  The rapidly fading Huck would simply disappear, as he is doing in many places where the obvious has already registered: A vote for Huckabee is a vote for McCain.

Hewitt then began pushing the idea of a “Rally to Romney” where conservatives would coalesce around Romney as their chosen alternative to McCain. It didn’t work. Romney dropped out.

Resigned to backing McCain, Hewitt then began to use his powers of dumb to convince his flock that Obama just couldn’t win nationally. March 2008:

Senator McCain can and will beat Senator Obama because –not so deep down– the country knows we are in a life-or-death struggle with the jihadists and we cannot turn the country’s safety over to a reality-denying three-year senator.

By May of 2008, Hewitt was telling his readers that no, seriously it was impossible for Obama to win:

Does anyone really believe that there isn’t another major explosion coming in the Middle East?  Can you imagine Barack Obama superintending it?

Hillary, yes.  Obama, no.  The Democrats have a chance to reclaim the White House, but the hard left of the party would rather have the party than 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

In August of 2008, veepstakes was in the air. And guess who Hewitt wanted McCain to pick?

McCain can indeed win the presidency with an excellent campaign in the fall, the first major decision of which will be the veep selection.  Since it is obvious that he truly wants to be president, and because the risk to the country is so large from his losing, I expect McCain will pick one of these two men and probably Romney on the Monday after the Democrats leave Denver.

Wrong, again. This was of course the moment in U.S. history where John McCain forever tarnished his legacy with the pick of Sarah Palin. Recent events, however, seem to validate choosing her over Romney.

Fully on board with McCain-Palin, Hewitt transitioned into the argument that really you guys, Obama isn’t winning. September 2008:

It is already clear that ten states hold the keys to the White House, and that McCain and Palin are doing very well in two of them, Florida and Ohio, while Obama struggles to hold on to blue states Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin and McCain tries to keep Colorado, Iowa, Nevada and New Mexico red.

McCain did so “well” in Florida and Ohio that they were called for Obama just a few minutes after the polls closed. Every single state Hewitt said Obama was “struggl[ing]” with voted for him, while McCain lost every state Hewitt said he was trying to keep red.

In late September of 2008, Hewitt again explained how it was just impossible for Obama to win.

Voters always want a change after eight years, but to Obama?  Not only is he almost inconceivably inexperienced for the toughest job in the world, he’s got a long record of terrible judgments about people  –Ayers, Rezko, and Wright to name the big three– and hist first big decision turns out to be Slow Joe “no more coal plants in America!” Biden.  The challenges at home and the crises abroad have left a very sober electorate that knows well that Obama is in way over his head, but the MSM’s deep investment in Obama’s success has kept him afloat since Operation Chaos began the process of unmasking his many weaknesses.

A month before election day, Hewitt was explaining how McCain was on the path to “close and win.”

So, despite the rapture of college students and the registration of the homeless in Ohio, the common sense of Americans will override curiosity about Barack Obama and infatuation with his celebrity, and trust John McCain to pilot the country for the next four years.

Then he began to detect a “shift” towards McCain:

With anxiety levels sky high and no doubt as to the hard left agenda that would be pursued by Obama-Pelosi-Reid, the race will remain close and could still shift dramatically towards McCain.  As the reality of the need for crisis management experience in the Oval Office rises, so will McCain.

Lest you believe conservative conspiracy theories about polling are a new phenomenon, here’s Hugh Hewitt the day before election day in 2008:

The attempt to demoralize the GOP through the gigged polling and the triumphalism of Obama hasn’t worked as the counter-theme of the volatility of the polls and the overwhelming bias of the MSM –now cemented in beyond argument by the Los Angeles Times’ censorship of the Obama-Khalidi (and Ayers?) video– has kept McCain’s supporters focused on the 96 hour effort to turn out voters.

For the record, Barack Obama won the election by 7% and a margin of 192 electoral votes. Shift indeed.

So here is Hewitt on Tuesday, claiming that polling is once again to be questioned when it shows his man Mitt trailing President Obama.

Gee, I wonder how that will work out?

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

President Obama Charts Course For His Legacy With Cuba Announcement
Jeb Bush's 6 Greatest Gaffes

Jeb Bush's 6 Greatest Gaffes

Just in time for former Florida Governor Jeb Bush's possible exploration of maybe running for presid[Read more...]
Firing Amy Pascal and Not Showing 'The Interview' Would Send the Worst Possible Message

Firing Amy Pascal and Not Showing 'The Interview' Would Send the Worst Possible Message

How Sony -- and the American public -- respond to the hacking of the company's IT system is extremel[Read more...]
Here's the Kim Jong-un Assassination Scene from "The Interview" That May Have Brought Sony To Its Knees

Here's the Kim Jong-un Assassination Scene from "The Interview" That May Have Brought Sony To Its Knees

When something is censored, it's automatically elevated. It becomes important, whether it deserves t[Read more...]
Someone Just Bet $1 Million You're Still Ready For Romney

Someone Just Bet $1 Million You're Still Ready For Romney

Are you ready for some Romney?!?[Read more...]
  • Pingback: My Homepage()

  • Zython

    Except for the fact that’s not true and it never was a ‘probably’ to begin with, what other fantasies are you dreaming up to answer that question?

    Yet another conservative who has no idea what people on his side of the aisle say and do. Alright, I’ll play along, where DID she hear it? Because I sure as hell don’t see liberals talking about “Obamaphones”.

    Hell, the only person here’s who complained about “Obamaphones” was you.

  • db

    Dennis,

    Just noticed that the “Obamaphone” is the “scandal du jour” from Fox “News”. Are you really going to be running that slop here too?

  • db

    Dennis,

    You’re good at twisting words.

    “I said she was a low information voter who is easily swayed. You said she was ignorant.”

    No. I said that through ignorance the woman made a mistake. Except you, we all make mistakes. Ignorance can be corrected.

    Willful stupid is forever.

  • oi ly

    Low information Conservative –

    “I don’t have the … It would take me too long to go through all of the math …”

  • oi ly

    It’s a bit rich when Limbaugh righties talk about low information voters. You folks invented them.

    • db

      oi,

      It’s a definitional thing.

      All thinking people would agree with Dennis, therefore all who do not agree are not informed.
      Anything President Obama says can be edited, cut, or misconstrued to be the “gaffe du jour”
      Anything WMR says is erudite, incisive, & brilliant. Except when it’s not. (see below)
      It’s a joke and you (see #1) are too uninformed to get it.

      Dennis,

      Yes I saw the clip & while I understand & sympathize with WMR’s concern for his wife’s safety it’s clear to me that he’s not joking. He misunderstands either:
      1) How fire works or
      2) Air Pressure

      Explain the joke to me.

    • M2

      They fall into the no information voter category.

  • Plunket

    But that makes you better than her?

    No. Never said that, never thought it, never implied it.

    That gives you the right to mock her ignorance?

    As an American, yes, I have that right. I didn’t mock her, though. Any more than you did, actually. I said she was a low information voter who is easily swayed. You said she was ignorant.

  • Plunket

    Probably conservative liars like you. They’re the only ones talking about it.

    Except for the fact that’s not true and it never was a ‘probably’ to begin with, what other fantasies are you dreaming up to answer that question?

    At least she’s basing her decision on a tangible positive, rather than who she’d rather have a beer with.

    She’s a low information voter who’s been spoon-fed things to say, just like you, Zython. And like you, she probably also thinks she pays a higher tax rate than Mitt Romney, and he’s a guy that wants to give her cancer.

    • db

      Dennis,

      “She’s a low information voter who’s been spoon-fed things to say, just like you, Zython. ”

      But that makes you better than her? That gives you the right to mock her ignorance?

      “Effete Corps of impudent snobs who classify themselves as Intellectuals” indeed.

  • Plunket

    1 million Ohioans using free phone program

    A program that provides subsidized phone service to low-income individuals has nearly doubled in size in Ohio in the past year — now covering more than a million people.

    People that get these phones know to call them Obama Phones, but low information voters like db don’t know what an Obama Phone is.

    Hmmm.

    • Zython

      That program was originally started by Reagan in order to expand land-line coverage to low income people. GWB then expanded this coverage to cell-phones.

      Quite frankly, you’re one of the last people who should complain about “low information voters”.

      • Plunket

        I posted that in a link already, Late to the Meeting, Clueless and Low Information Zython. but thanks anyway.

        But since you mention it, gee, I wonder why this woman calls her phone an ‘Obama Phone’, and not a Reagan Phone. Or a Bush Phone. Who told her they were Obama Phones and that everybody was getting them free? And why would anyone tout that as a reason to vote for Obama, pray tell?

        • Zython

          I posted that in a link already,

          I assure you, I read just as much of your link as you’ve read of mine.

          Who told her they were Obama Phones and that everybody was getting them free?

          Probably conservative liars like you. They’re the only ones talking about it.

          And why would anyone tout that as a reason to vote for Obama, pray tell?

          At least she’s basing her decision on a tangible positive, rather than who she’d rather have a beer with.

  • Plunket

    Marco, your buddy Copypasta Dark Avenger is up in the nosebleeds calling people “f*ggots” and justifying it because it’s merely taunting them for “taking it up the A**”, and just like with Obama’s long, slow, evolutionary slog toward gay marriage equality, you’re again choosing to be silent about it.

    Once before you said shame on him for calling someone that name, now he’s doubling and even tripling down on it, calling him a “cosfag”, and like a replacement ref, you swallow your whistle.

    WTF? You don’t really give a shit, all that matters is whose side someone is on.

    Look the other way because even though he’s an idiot, but he’s an idiot who’s on your side politically.

    What a great advocate for the cause you are.

    • M2

      “Marco, your buddy Copypasta Dark Avenger is up in the nosebleeds calling people …”

      Dennis, no one cares about your stupid personal vendettas, for the one millionth time. They don’t get anymore interesting the more you repeat them.

      Not to mention, people who live in big glass racist/homophobic houses shouldn’t throw stones.

      Seriously, grow the fuck up or go troll another site.

      • Plunket

        I don’t live in a racist, homophobic house, and people who play the race and homophobic cards shouldn’t reserve them just for those certain special times when they pop them out for political enemies and then shut up when their friends do it blatantly and right in front of their noses. Otherwise, Marco, it makes them look like hypocrites who are really just feigning indignation. Know what I’m sayin’?

        • M2

          I know exactly what you’re saying. “I’m in complete denial.”

  • Plunket

    db, you’re a freaking idiot. I never once accused anyone of holding religious views as being intolerant of other religions.

    And your copypasta friend is up there in the nosebleeds calling other people “f*ggots” and then doubling-down and even tripling-down on it by justifying it on the grounds that it was done as a taunt for “taking it up the A**”. His words. And you’re fine with that.

    That’s bigotry, Priceless. That’s intolerance. No matter how either one of you two bigots justifies it.

    • db

      That’s right Phlunk,

      We’re all bigots. That way no one’s a bigot. Diffuse those hate terms. They don’t mean anything anyhow.

      oi,

      Isn’t it fun watching Dennis froth at the mouth & try to compare an obvious misstatement about the 57 states campaigned in rather than the 47 and the statement that shows the speaker has no idea about how fire works &/or how airplanes work. Or maybe they’ve decided that air pressure is just a hoax like Climate Change. Phlunk doesn’t realize that the audience in the Romney clip was laughing at him not with him.

      • M2

        The people that fight to surpress minority turnout cannot possibly be racists. It’s the party that mentions their voter surpression efforts are the real racists.

        Get with it, db. And Romney is Rockefeller because Dennis read the NY Post.

        • db

          But you see Marco, Both sides do it & so it’s not really all that bad when Republicans try to strike voters from the rolls with the express (at least in PA) intent to carry the state for Romney. Besides voter suppression is nothing more than repeating your good poll numbers.

          Voter suppression is, in my mind, the most important issue of the election. It hits at the true vitals of our democracy and harkens back to a time when there were property restrictions on the right to vote.

          Romney is which Rockefeller John D, or Nelson R.? I’d probably agree with the first.

          Gee Dennis,

          I haven’t heard of a program that hands out Govt. subsidized phones in Ohio. I’m ignorant, uninformed, OR MAYBE I JUST DON’T LIVE IN OHIO.

          But more than that Dennis, I do not mock, or make fun of, those people who need help in maintaining telephone service. I could not laugh at a woman who thought it a Federal not State program. Who, in her ignorance, calls it an Obamaphone.

          I do consider myself an informed voter. Yet, I realize that there is always more information out there & I realize that my knowledge has huge holes in it; see DA teaching me where to find the internet/English dictionary online. One can not know everything. One only makes oneself look foolish by asserting so.

          I may be a naive idiot, but I don’t think Air Pressure is a Liberal Myth.

          • Plunket

            But more than that Dennis, I do not mock, or make fun of, those people who need help in maintaining telephone service. I could not laugh at a woman who thought it a Federal not State program. Who, in her ignorance, calls it an Obamaphone.

            I didn’t laugh at her or mock her.

            I do consider myself an informed voter.

            You’re not, db. The information you get is one-sided, and you’ll believe anything you hear from that one side. Copypasta just posted something that was obvious snark, tha it, obvious to anyone but you and him. You believed it, at least to the point that you thought this was the end of Romney’s campaign. It’s certainly not the case that you dismissed it after reading the first quote, which would’ve been made national news immediately. And the other thing, anything you read from copypasta, you know right off the bat it’s going to be from some no-name whack-job, one-off liberal crank. If you read something from him that you think might be big news, just google it. Just like if you want to look up the meaning of a word, like “mockery” for instance.

            I may be a naive idiot, but I don’t think Air Pressure is a Liberal Myth.

            As opposed to the naive idiots who do think Air Pressure is a Liberal Myth, whoever those people are? What makes that statement so pathetic is that you actually think a guy in his 60’s who’s flown probably over a thousand times in his life and who’s about a thousand times smarter than you, doesn’t understand cabin pressure. And this after his wife almost died in a plane mishap at 35,000 feet. Because of a poorly-delivered line that anyone who took the time to view the video could tell right away that he said it facetiously. Not only do you think that, you go on to spread it like it was true. To other low information voters who will likewise assume it to be true that he actually didn’t understand why planes don’t have window cranks to let air in at 35,000 feet.

      • Plunket

        Isn’t it fun watching Dennis froth at the mouth & try to compare an obvious misstatement about the 57 states campaigned in rather than the 47 and the statement that shows the speaker has no idea about how fire works &/or how airplanes work.

        Again, db, you continue to relish playing the naive idiot role.

  • db

    Mr. Cuffman, (DA?)

    Dennis’ bigotry, racist, intolerant charges are part of a larger theme that I’ve seen others engage in. The more one labels a person as bigoted, racist, intolerant, & etc. the less meaning the word tends to have. As I said before the more one can diffuse the word the more one defuses the pejorative value of the word. If we’re all bigots, then no one is a bigot. Dennis’ high point was when he accused anyone holding religious views of being intolerant of other religions. Rush Limbaugh’s high point was when he accused the Obama Administration of voter suppression by leading in the polls and thus discouraging Republicans from voting. You rightly ignore his slurs but recognize that you are part of a much bigger plan.

    Strictly for my own purposes, I’d be happy to see you here “below the fold” again.

  • db

    Mr. Cuffman, (DA?)

    Thank you for the link.

    “Low-information voters” already know all they need to know about Romney”. You say that as if it’s bad. I’d suggest that High-information voters” also already know all they need to know about Romney as well.

  • db

    el,

    What am I missing? Did Frank Di Salle put money on the ’08 election & welch? Charity & good manners requires us to treat Frank as an honorable man; unless & until he proves otherwise.

    But just for it, I won’t ever see any of Frank’s money. The wager is to donate to the Charity of the winner’s choice & I’ve already announced the Homeless Shelter. I really can’t see that stiffing the Homeless Shelter of $25 would appeal to anyone.

    I certainly join you in hoping your prediction is in error.

    For the ramifications of my earlier post:

    Romney literally can not win without carrying FL.
    Ohio is almost as necessary.
    If NC is leaning for President Obama; then the odds of WMR running the rest of the board are slim.
    I think the NE-2 EV is still reliably red; but it could become important too.

  • db

    Okay Guys,

    Morning polling. According to sites that I trust to try to be accurate, WMR is leading, moderately or better in states with 191 EV. He needs 270 to win or a gain of 79.

    President Obama holds slim leads in:

    CO (9)
    FL (29)
    IA (6)
    NC (15)
    NH (4)
    NV (6)
    OH (18)
    VA (13)

    Which comes to 100 & WMR needs 79 of them. Frank Di Salle needs WMR to carry 109 EV of the 100 EV “slim lead” States to win his bets with Oliver & me.

    But the money spigots are wide open for WMR & we’ll see the impact soon.

    • enlightened liberal

      You really think you’re going to see Frank’s money? You notice he hasn’t been around here, haven’t you? I predict (hope I’m wrong, for the charity’s sake), that he will disappear on/around Election Day and not come back until after the first of the year. When someone brings up the bet, he will insult them for bringing it up, and not answer directly why he won’t pay.

      Funny, I explain it almost like it’s happened before.

  • db

    Mr. Cuffman,

    “Romney campaign advisor Beth Meyers, in a meeting with reporters, asserted that we should expect President Obama to to “go out there and eat Romney’s lunch.”

    “Look, President Obama is just a lot smarter than Governor Romney,” Meyers said. “I mean, like, a lot smarter. Seriously. They’re not even close.”

    “Plus,” Meyers added, President Obama “knows, like, ten times as much about policy.”

    “Any time actual knowledge of public or foreign policy is at issue,” she said, “President Obama has to be the clear favorite.”

    Expectations should also be adjusted, she asserted, given that Obama’s policies “just make a helluva lot more sens..”

    This was a prank, right? Onion News? If it’s real; Jon Stewart’s writers can take a month off & just phone in clips from that meeting.

    • Plunket

      This was a prank, right? Onion News?

      OMG.

      Priceless, it’s brainwashed and gullible, low information voters like you and Copypasta why Obama is ahead in the polls, you know that, right?

      • db

        Phlunk,

        So it wasn’t a prank?

        Well, at least you’re now paying attention to the polls rather than trying to find more excuses why you’re Candidate’s in the tank.

        • Plunket

          db, seriously, you really are that clueless that you’d have to ask if that was a ‘prank’ or not, aren’t you?

          Not only are you still not sure, you have no idea how or where to go to find out.

          Just keep waiting by the mailbox for that Obamaphone, it’s on it’s way!

          • db

            Phlunk,

            “you really are that clueless that you’d have to ask if that was a ‘prank’ or not, aren’t you?”

            Yes I am. There have bee several comments published lately that I had trouble crediting.

            “Legitimate Rape”? Using a 125 year old medical theory? That’s got to be Onion.
            “No, you can’t see my taxes.”
            “I don’t worry about the 47%”
            “Etch-a-sketch”
            “Get the Government out of Medicare”
            “Wichita Abortion Mall”

            The guys can many more no doubt.

            But yes, some things are so absurd that I think they are potentially parodies. I could go other places on line & find out; but by asking here; I ask the others if they view the statement as absurdly as I do. It’s a conversation starter.

            I have no idea what you mean by Obamaphone.

          • Plunket

            I have no idea what you mean by Obamaphone.

            I know you don’t, db.

          • oi ly

            Opening a plane window @ 35,000 feet. The Onion, right?

          • Plunket

            I don’t know, Oily, I watch the video of him saying that and I see him being facetious, being obvious at it in fact, and I hear the audience laughing at it immediately after he delivered the line. So you tell me, is that The Onion, or just another case of you low-information guys mistaking something light-hearted for something serious?

            I’m not kidding, I envy you guys for that. It’s a very effective strategy, and scant few of you know it’s even a strategy at all.

          • oi ly

            Excuses, excuses.

            “You know, I think my biggest concern, obviously, would just be for his mental well-being.”

            The Onion, right?

          • db

            oi,

            The most disturbing thing about the airplane window comment was that it was in relationship to a fire. Romney probably means to say “open the windows to get air into any people who may be trapped” what he winds up saying is “getting air into the fire”. No Mitt, you don’t get air into the fire. You get air out of the fire, ’cause fire needs oxygen to burn. Co2 extinguishers? Was WMR never a Boy Scout? Did he never do the “Visitors Day” at the local Fire House? Did he never learn, “Stop, Drop, & Roll”? Smother a fire? Is he really as clueless as all that?

          • Plunket

            Excuses, excuses.

            If he says it facetiously, laughs at it at the end of his sentence, and the audience laughs at it, how is that an excuse, Oily One?

            57 states. The Onion, right?

            Not sure what the national debt is. The Onion, right?

            Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.
            Michelle Obama February, 2008

            I know. The Onion, right?

            Right, Oily?

          • oi ly

            db, I guess he never saw the movie Backdraft. This fire needs more oxygen before we can put it out. I worry about his mental health.

            Priceless and The Onion at the same time.

          • Plunket

            I have no idea what you mean by Obamaphone.

            The woman who claimed she got an Obamaphone is actually less of a low-information voter than you are, db.

          • Plunket

            The Shady Ethics of ‘The Obama Phone’

            But the really interesting question is: Who has been marketing this as the “Obama Phone”?

            Low information voters like db don’t know what an Obamaphone is, but if you got one, somehow you know to call it that. Hmmm.

            Pretty tough to compete with that, you have to admit.

  • oi ly

    “You know, I think my biggest concern, obviously, would just be for his mental well-being.”

    Yikes.

  • M2

    Everybody loves Mitt!!!!

    • oi ly

      I’m sure these folks do –

      http://www.caymanai.com/

      • db

        Wow! A bunch of people trying to separate the 1% from their money.

        • Plunket

          Those 1%-ers being separated from their money very likely include your very own state’s public employees and teachers retirement pension funds, db.

          You do realize that, right, Mr. Low Information Voter?

  • oi ly
  • oi ly

    Y’all probably have seen this video already …

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0EsxNYXW5i8

    One should ask if Bain also harvested organs.

    • M2

      Why do you hate his success, oi ly?

      • db

        Marco,

        Thank you for the earlier Colbert clip. I particularly liked the part where Fox “News” pointed out how 90% of their responders thought Romney would carry Ohio. SLOP indeed.

        In answer to your question to oi, about why he (& I) hate Romney’s success; I don’t necessarily “hate” the success but it seems that Romney made his money by dismantling things, harvesting companies, breaking things up. Now I know that crops have to be harvested to be useful. Can’t I hold in higher regard, the guy who makes a success of himself by creating something new, building things, growing companies; rather than destroying them?

      • oi ly

        M2 – “Why do you hate his success, oi ly?”

        Because I’m a Castro sympathizer, just like Limbaugh said that Obama is.

        • M2

          Oh that’s right. I forgot oi ly.

          And db, are you claiming Mitt didn’t build that? That being his career as a total asshole.

          • db

            Oh he built it all right. But his business is destruction rather than construction. It’s like Credit Default Swaps. Very useful in their way but dangerous if misused. The question is, did Bain misuse their talents to wreck otherwise healthy companies for the purposes of profit?

          • Plunket

            The question is, did Bain misuse their talents to wreck otherwise healthy companies for the purposes of profit?

            Here a few 1%-ers who like the returns to be had from investing in Bain enough that they decided to place their trust in them, db:

            * Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund ($2.2 million)

            * Indiana Public Retirement System ($39.3 million)

            * Iowa Public Employees’ Retirement System ($177.1 million)

            * The Los Angeles Fire and Police Pension System ($19.5 million)

            * Maryland State Retirement and Pension System ($117.5 million)

            * Public Employees’ Retirement System of Nevada ($20.3 million)

            * State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio ($767.3 million)

            * Pennsylvania State Employees’ Retirement System ($231.5 million)

            * Employees’ Retirement System of Rhode Island ($25 million)

            * San Diego County Employees Retirement Association ($23.5 million)

            * Teacher Retirement System of Texas ($122.5 million)

            * Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System ($15 million)

            It’s like Credit Default Swaps. Very useful in their way but dangerous if misused.

            Can you tell me an asset class that isn’t ‘very useful, but dangerous if misused’?

  • db

    Farris,

    From our Parent site on the subject of Profit Driven Media:

    http://thedailybanter.com/2011/03/how-market-driven-media-is-ruining-news/

    Where do you want to go from here? Are we really talking about a Government run News Service that doesn’t have to make a profit ; but does have to educate & inform?

  • db

    Guys,

    Doesn’t Farris’ problems with the political polls substantiate Oliver’s point? Conservatives can’t admit that their Candidate is behind in the polls because the longest he’s held the same position is when he’s on the toilet. They can’t admit that their Candidate refuses to release stuff that most people would find interesting, not just his taxes (What’s he hiding?) but also mundane stuff like his economic plan.

    No it’s a CONSPIRACY. Liberal Media refuses to trumpet a restatement of 2Q GDP. Not because the subject puts most people to sleep; but because of the CONSPIRACY. Liberal Media runs political polls and surveys more Democrats than Republicans. Not because there are more Democrats than Republicans; but because of the CONSPIRACY.

    Isn’t this exactly what Oliver said?

  • Wilbur

    Who’s funnier: Jennifer Rubin or Mallard Fillmore?

    • M2

      Rubin. Barely.

  • db

    Oliver,

    If the Republicans in the House of Representatives decide to investigate your employer; you should feel pleased. Your actions are worrying the Republicans & they are flexing their political muscle to stop you.

  • db

    Farris,

    From 12:25;

    “Then why are this years’s polls showing double the Democratic turnout?”

    What polls are you speaking of? Are you sure your not confusing the D/R weighting we spoke of earlier? Go check out the polls over at real-clear politics or will you call them “leftist” as well?

    and

    “Or should we be screaming from the rooftops for the MSM to DO THEIR JOB!?””

    But @ 10:42 you assert the MSM is in the tank for President Obama.

    Though I think I agree with you that the MSM spends it’s time on trivalities & ignores the important issues of the day. On the other hand, those services that try to report only serious news have gone broke with annoying frequency. “Honey Boo Boo”, Snooki, & the Dutchess of Cambridge pictures sell.

    Sigh.

  • M2
    • db

      Marco,

      Why do you bother with Jennifer Rubin. There’s so much better stuff to read in the paper. Baseball scores, Lio, Pearls Before Swine, Brewster Rockit….

      • M2

        Good point, but truly, there is nothing more comical than a wingnut’s view of reality.

        Sad and tragic, but funny.

        • db

          Well Marco,

          Dennis Schlacher has returned from his vacation. Still not particularly on point; but that could be said of us all. Media matters in deed. In my family the person who goes out to get the paper, gets the Comics first.

      • Plunket

        Because Media Matters, Priceless.

        • M2

          Yes, Dennis. We know. They quote conservatives and aren’t 65 years-old so they’re not to be trusted – or refuted, but…

          • Plunket

            Yeah, Marco, that and this…

            Farenthold: Congress will likely investigate DOJ-Media Matters collusion, target group’s tax-exempt status

            Why wouldn’t Media Matters want to pay taxes? Wouldn’t that be patriotic?

          • oi ly

            What’s your sobriquet over on the daily caller, Dennis?

          • M2

            Oh well if Texas Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold is on it, I am sure the house of cards that is MMFA will be crumbling any day now.

            Also you gotta love a wingnut linking to the Daily Caller whining about MMFA. Fucking priceless.

          • Plunket

            Just as much as you gotta love an MMfA blogger and his lackeys whining about someone else not paying enough taxes…..”but, but, I pay more taxes than he does, waaaah.”

            Why wouldn’t MMfA want to pay taxes, Marco?

          • M2

            Please inform me when you are interested in English and not Hobbit.

  • M2

    You do understand what reportedly means, correct?

    Nice work, Farris.

    • Plunket

      Reportedly Dingy Harry heard from a Bain investor that Mitt Romney didn’t pay taxes the last ten years. Reportedly Dingy Harry was lying.

      I’m reporting that you’re an idiot who can’t differentiate between sarcasm and real reporting, Marco.

      So bottom line, reportedly you’re an idiot.

      • M2

        Neither of you understands what reportedly means. Lovely.

    • SaveFarris

      You do understand you fell for a hoax?

      Actually, I’m not sure you do. Or, more importantly, if you care.

      • db

        Did he Farris?

        Has Romney released his tax returns?

        What’s Romney hiding?

      • Wilbur

        You do understand you fell for a hoax?

        Who could blame him? It was so believable.

      • M2

        Seriously, you and Dennis should pool your cash together and buy a dictionary.

  • M2

    Seems the right has conceded the election since blaming the press for their loss has begun.

    • db

      Marco,

      I don’t know about the blame game; but Romney is cutting back in NM. Putting the time & money into Colorado instead. Does that strike you as important as it does me? & Good?

      • M2

        If anyone can figure out the Romney campaign’s strategy, I’d give them 20 bucks and a hug. Seems they plan using a magic 8-ball and a ouija board.

        • db

          Marco,

          The Romney Campaign, you, & I are all looking at the same map.WMR needs 270 EV to become President Romney. How do you there from here?

          Start with the States McCain carried in 2008. I submit that no Republican Candidate will do worse than that.

          Then CO, NM, NV, IA, WI, MI, MN, MI, IN, OH, NH, PA, FL, NC, VA are those States where polling suggests WMR has a legitimate chance. Which of those States does he have to win to get to 270? There are dozens of different combinations, but when you take one (NM) off the board, the road just got that little bit tougher.

          Also if NM is being punted, what does that say about the Republicans & the Latino Vote? Can’t be good news for Romney in any event.

          I think the Homeless Shelter is going to be enjoying 25 of Frank DiSalle’s dollars in early Nov.

          • M2

            His road is full of fail. He needs a debate miracle which he isn’t going to get. The Stench, as Paul Ryan reportedly calls him, has only one chance and that is voter purging florida and ohio into the R corner.

            Doubt they can pull that off even with their best efforts.

          • SaveFarris

            The Stench, as Paul Ryan reportedly calls him

            Nice work, M2

          • Wilbur

            Or, as Joe Scarborough calls him Sweet Jesus.

            That sure is one big bucket of dork you all nominated.

          • oi ly

            “Or, as Joe Scarborough calls him Sweet Jesus.”

            Even though I want Romney to loose big, that clip gives me the pity shivers.

          • M2

            If that gave you pity shivers, what about this classic, oily?

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saG-EQ6BxR0

          • oi ly

            That one pisses me off, disgusts me in fact. No pity watching that one, M2.

      • Wilbur

        The way I know that things are looking good for Obama is that Frank hasn’t been coming on here blustering about Romney getting 300+ EV’s for quite a while, and seems to be hiding his face and hoping we’ll forget.

        That, I believe, is at least as reliable metric as long lines at the local Chick-fil-a.

        Then again, maybe by 300+ EV’s Frank meant 300+ electron volts. That’s a prediction I could get behind.

  • oi ly

    Why does the right believe in a media conspiracy theory? I just don’t get why the “media” would be in the tank for Obama. What does the media win if Obama wins? What will the media lose if Obama loses? I just don’t get it.

    • Wilbur

      Because reality has a well-known liberal bias?

      We liberals seem to believe that reporters are only doing their jobs when they report the facts. Wingnuts have long abandoned that quaint notion.

    • SaveFarris

      What will the media lose if Obama loses?

      All of their credibility. They’ve built him up as such a juggernaut and refused to cover his immeasurable failings that the country’s rejection of Obama becomes a rejection of them as well.

      Take, for example, today’s Obama-boom-eriffic news that 2ndQ GDP was revised down to 1.3%.

      NBCNews.com — buried in the business section
      ABCNews.com — 3rd item on a sidebar
      CNN.com — does not appear AT ALL
      Yahoo News — does not appear AT ALL
      CBSNews.com — 9th sidebar item
      NYT.com — nowhere on the front page
      WaPo.com — 15th sidebar item
      USAToday — headline article: “Reports paint mixed view of economy’s health”. No, no it doesn’t.

      So 1.3% 2nd quarter revision is “mixed news” while a 2Q revision to 2.8% in 2004 is “disapointing”.

      But hey, the refs are coming back the day after Obama weighed in on the issue. GIVE THAT MAN THE HEISMAN!!!!!

      • Wilbur

        See SF, sounds to me like if the press is trying to give cover to anybody it’s to the congressional republicans for stonewalling the president’s job creation efforts and waging the war on women in preference to doing anything useful on their own initiative.

        You’re banking on people putting all the blame on Obama for tepid economic news, but the American People are a bit too smart for you on that count.

      • SaveFarris

        But hey, the refs are coming back the day after Obama weighed in on the issue. GIVE THAT MAN THE HEISMAN!!!!!

        You thought I was joking

        With President Obama expressing his disappointment with the replacement officiating and poor officiating being the lead story of network news coverage, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had to act — and he did.

        Wilbur, please point out to me how the republicans were able to stonewall prior to Feburary 4, 2010. ANY details will suffice. Thanks.

        If you’re asking who’s doing the stonewalling, which chamber of the Congress hasn’t passed a budget in the past 3 years?

        • Wilbur

          Wilbur, please point out to me how the republicans were able to stonewall prior to Feburary 4, 2010

          Easy: 40 republican senators voting in mindless borg-like lockstep + Joe Lieberdogshit = majority-proof filibuster.

  • M2

    I think calling Hugh a D-list pundit is being kind. I will always remember his proclamations of “Romney rising” when clearly, Mitt was sinking to the bottom of the shit heap in 2008.

    Please prognosticate some more, Hugh. Pretty please.

  • enlightened liberal

    Hewitt tries to play the “thoughtful conservative” but the only difference between he and his other fellow travelers is that he is a little calmer.

    I think polls reflect a turnout model but also voter registrations- there are millions of registered “Reagan Democrats” who haven’t voted for a Democrat since Carter in 1976. Either way, the polls in the aggregate have been pretty accurate as to the final vote in the past.

    • db

      el,

      “there are millions of registered “Reagan Democrats” who haven’t voted for a Democrat since Carter in 1976″

      Accepted for the purposes of the argument, but these voters would show up as a percentage of the Democrats polled as they are a percentage of Democrats total. You poll Democrats, not those intending to vote Democratic. I’m personally inclined to believe that many of the “Reagan Democrats” have shifted their registration over the past 30 years. Though the party has a big tent & definitional problems arise. What exactly is a “Reagan Democrat”?

      Mr. Hubbard,

      Just for it, filibuster is a Senate manuever. The House of Representatives doesn’t have it.

      I’ll check out your site soon.

  • db

    Oliver,

    No need to go outside the group. We had essentially the same discussion with Dennis last week.

    To recap:

    Weighting polls to reflect the fact that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans does not invalidate the poll. It reflects reality.
    There are many polls. You can find one to say just about anything.
    Basing your thesis on Rasmussen Polls is like using Wikipedia for a term paper.

    New:

    There are I’d dare say an infinite number of blogging sites out there somewhere. Mr. Hewett tells you his opinion. That’s fine. It’s also irrelevant. He gets one vote, same as me.

    • SaveFarris

      Weighting polls to reflect the fact that there are more registered Democrats than Republicans does not invalidate the poll.

      You took down that strawman with the greatest of ease.

      The problem isn’t that they’re generating samples with pluralities of Democrats. As you said, that reflects (to a degree) current voter statistics. The problem is that they’re weighting them to an almost comical degree. The greatest Democratic turnout in recent history (2008) ended up with a final exit polls of D+5. So why are these polling outfits using samples of D+9, D+11, even D+15? There’s simply no rational basis for weighting them in such a manner.

      Either way, the polls in the aggregate have been pretty accurate as to the final vote in the past.

      The final poll has to be accurate, because that’s the one that’s getting compared to the final result. All the ones that come before are forgotten into the ether. The final CBS/NYT poll in 2008 was Obama +9, within the margin of error of the Obama+7 actual final result. However, nobody remembers that a month earlier, CBS/NYT was saying that it was Obama+14. Obama’s going to lose % as we get closer to Election Day and poll outfits have to stop push-polling and start actively reflecting reality.

      • db

        Farris,

        You’re entering Dennis territory.

        Your first paragraph states that the polls are weighted Democratic, “to an almost comical degree”.
        Your second paragraph states that the, “final poll has to be accurate”. Okay make sense of that to me where both are true.

        “There’s simply no rational basis for weighting them in such a manner.” (?) How about , they’re right.?

        I’ve told Dennis, I’ll tell you. Don’t cite any single poll to me. Any single poll is a snap-shot of a moving river. It tells us very little. Polls need to be aggregated, combined, & studied over time before any real picture can emerge.

        I don’t want to “geek out” everybody by going into why polls weight D & R to the levels they do. There are sites dedicated to that study.

        Guys,

        I’ll throw out the proposition that Rasmussen, by their numerous polls & R slant are trying to drive the news cycle. The MSM doing their usual (shoddy) job will report “Poll Shows Romney Winning”. Put enough of those polls out there & the sites I mentioned above are going to have their aggregations impacted.

        • SaveFarris

          Okay make sense of that to me where both are true.

          For those of you who don’t own or have access to a calendar, any poll released between now and (let’s say) Halloween WILL NOT BE a firm’s final poll.

          So the early ones will not be used in the final judgment of a polling firm’s accuracy. Polling firms know this, which is why they’re intentionally toying with the sample in their prelimilary polls to get their desired result, knowing the only one they’re judged on is the last one.

          • db

            Farris,

            One of the two biggest horror stories among Pollsters involves stopping too soon, No one will ever make that mistake again.

            “Polling firms know this, which is why they’re intentionally toying with the sample in their prelimilary polls to get their desired result.”

            Paranoia strikes deep.

            Pollsters are like Umpires. The goal is to get it right. Some are employed by the various campaigns to survey for the Candidate, but again accuracy is the goal. Telling the Candidate he’s up by 15 the day before he loses is not the way to stay in business. That’s why people like Rasmussen & Zogby stand out. Go over to RealClear Politics. You agree that it’s hardly a “leftist” site? Their analysis of the polling done is very similar to others.

            As for the “Liberal Media”: you see the lack of interest in the revision of 2Q GDP as a conspiracy. I see it as being lost in the monumental news of the day viz. the end of the lock-out of NFL Referees. And GDP is an esoteric subject at the best of times. I’d bet more people are concerned about “Honey Boo Boo”.

          • SaveFarris

            Chris Cizilla: “No one — not even the most loyal Obama allies — would argue that the political environment in 40 days will be anywhere close to as favorable as it was in November 2008.”

            Then why are this years’s polls showing double the Democratic turnout?

            I’d bet more people are concerned about “Honey Boo Boo”.

            And this is good? We should be applauding this? Or should we be screaming from the rooftops for the MSM to DO THEIR JOB!?