Julian Castro: Mitt Romney ‘has no idea how good he’s had it’

San Antonio mayor Julian Castro. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

The Daily Banter Headline Grab (via Yahoo News!):

CHARLOTTE, N.C.—In a speech that instantly invoked comparisons to Barack Obama’s star-making turn at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro invoked his personal story as the descendent of Mexican immigrants to press the case that Mitt Romney “just doesn’t get it” when it comes to the struggles of average Americans.

Castro, the first Latino to deliver the DNC keynote, spoke of the “unlikely journey” that led him from a poor upbringing in Texas to a rising star of the Democratic party. He talked about his grandmother, an orphan, who immigrated to the United States and dropped out of school in the fourth grade to work and support her family.

She barely scraped by, Castro said, but did what it took to give his mother a better life. She, in turn, gave him and his twin brother, Joaquin, a Texas congressional candidate, a better life too.

“My family’s story isn’t special. What’s special is the America that makes our story possible. Ours is a nation like no other, a place where great journeys can be made in a single generation,” Castro said. “No matter who you are or where you come from, the path is always forward.”

But echoing other speakers during the first night of the DNC, Castro argued that the path would not be “forward” if Romney is elected. He accused the former Massachusetts governor of being out of touch with average Americans.

Making reference to Romney’s status as the son of a former Michigan governor and auto industry executive, Castro called Romney a “good guy” but said “he just has no idea how good he’s had it.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

'Redefining Beauty' Is a Great Idea Until You Actually Think About What It Means

'Redefining Beauty' Is a Great Idea Until You Actually Think About What It Means

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag