Global Warming Myth? Arctic Ice Cap Melts to Smallest Size Ever

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From The AP:

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a critical climate indicator showing an ever warming world, the amount of ice in the Arctic Ocean shrank to an all-time low this year, obliterating old records.

The ice cap at the North Pole measured 1.32 million square miles on Sunday. That’s 18 percent smaller than the previous record of 1.61 million square miles set in 2007, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colo. Records go back to 1979 based on satellite tracking.

“On top of that, we’re smashing a record that smashed a record,” said data center scientist Walt Meier. Sea ice shrank in 2007 to levels 22 percent below the previous record of 2005.

Ice in the Arctic melts in summer and grows in winter, and it started growing again on Monday. In the 1980s, Meier said, summer sea ice would cover an area slightly smaller than the Lower 48 states. Now it is about half that.

Man-made global warming has melted more sea ice and made it thinner over the last couple decades with it getting much more extreme this year, surprisingly so, said snow and ice data center director Mark Serreze.

“Recently the loss of summer ice has accelerated and the six lowest September ice extents have all been in the past six years,” Serreze said. “I think that’s quite remarkable.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

Jimmy Fallon's Shot-for-Shot Extreme Video Is the Unfunniest Damn Thing Ever Done on Late Night

Jimmy Fallon's Shot-for-Shot Extreme Video Is the Unfunniest Damn Thing Ever Done on Late Night

I should let it go. I know. But I can't, not when Jimmy Fallon's latest viral sensation is literallyRead more...
White House Says President Obama 'Won't Sign' a Bad TPP Trade Deal

White House Says President Obama 'Won't Sign' a Bad TPP Trade Deal

As the bipartisan Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) bill makes its way through Congress, President ObaRead more...
Ted Cruz Hops Aboard the Texas Military Takeover Crazy Train. Because of Course.

Ted Cruz Hops Aboard the Texas Military Takeover Crazy Train. Because of Course.

I need to make something perfectly clear, so please listen carefully. It is essential that you put yRead more...