First Lady Brings Down the House at Dem Convention

The Daily Banter Headline Grab (via The Los Angeles Times):

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Michelle Obama delivered an affectionate tribute to her husband Tuesday night as a man of courage and unshakable conviction, putting a warm gloss on an opening convention program filled with harsh attacks on Republican Mitt Romney.

“I didn’t think it was possible, but today I love my husband more than I did four years ago. Even more than I did 23 years ago, when we first met,” the first lady said in a prime-time speech carried live by the major TV networks. “I love that he’s never forgotten how he started. I love that we can trust Barack to do what he says he’s going to do even when it’s hard – especially when it’s hard.”

Reprising many of the themes and anecdotes she used in her speech to the Democratic convention four years ago, Obama delivered an implicit contrast to Romney’s wealth and comfortable upbringing by describing the hardship that she and her husband faced growing up.

“Like so many families, our families weren’t asking for much,” Obama said, adding — as if to rebut Romney and others who accuse the president of waging “class warfare” — “they didn’t begrudge anyone else’s success or care that others had more than they did. In fact, they admired it.”

In a seemingly veiled swipe at Romney, whom the Obama campaign has attacked as a ruthless profiteer, the first lady said, “We learned about honesty and integrity. That the truth matters. That you don’t take shortcuts or play by your own set of rules, and success doesn’t count unless you earn it fair and square.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

Here's Why the Personal E-Mail Controversy Likely Won't Hurt Hillary's Chances in 2016

Here's Why the Personal E-Mail Controversy Likely Won't Hurt Hillary's Chances in 2016

(Photo: Win McNamee/Getty Images) In the closing weeks of the seemingly interminable 2012 presideRead more...
Vote for Bob & Chez in the 10th Annual Podcast Awards!

Vote for Bob & Chez in the 10th Annual Podcast Awards!

The semi-daily podcast I host with Chez Pazienza, The Bubble Genius Bob & Chez Show, was nominated fRead more...
Obama Has Un-Killed 12 Million Jobs In 5 Years

Obama Has Un-Killed 12 Million Jobs In 5 Years

On Friday morning, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released the latest mortifying statistics on PresiRead more...