First Lady Brings Down the House at Dem Convention

The Daily Banter Headline Grab (via The Los Angeles Times):

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Michelle Obama delivered an affectionate tribute to her husband Tuesday night as a man of courage and unshakable conviction, putting a warm gloss on an opening convention program filled with harsh attacks on Republican Mitt Romney.

“I didn’t think it was possible, but today I love my husband more than I did four years ago. Even more than I did 23 years ago, when we first met,” the first lady said in a prime-time speech carried live by the major TV networks. “I love that he’s never forgotten how he started. I love that we can trust Barack to do what he says he’s going to do even when it’s hard – especially when it’s hard.”

Reprising many of the themes and anecdotes she used in her speech to the Democratic convention four years ago, Obama delivered an implicit contrast to Romney’s wealth and comfortable upbringing by describing the hardship that she and her husband faced growing up.

“Like so many families, our families weren’t asking for much,” Obama said, adding — as if to rebut Romney and others who accuse the president of waging “class warfare” — “they didn’t begrudge anyone else’s success or care that others had more than they did. In fact, they admired it.”

In a seemingly veiled swipe at Romney, whom the Obama campaign has attacked as a ruthless profiteer, the first lady said, “We learned about honesty and integrity. That the truth matters. That you don’t take shortcuts or play by your own set of rules, and success doesn’t count unless you earn it fair and square.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

Sam Harris Hits Back At Cenk Uygur, Says He 'Systematically Acts In Bad Faith'

Sam Harris Hits Back At Cenk Uygur, Says He 'Systematically Acts In Bad Faith'

Last month, Cenk Uygur trashed Sam Harris after the two had a lively but amicable three hour conversRead more...
President Obama Brings Out Keegan-Michael Key To Be His "Anger Translator" at the White House Correspondents' Dinner

President Obama Brings Out Keegan-Michael Key To Be His "Anger Translator" at the White House Correspondents' Dinner

The second most amazing thing about this clip from Saturday night's White House Correspondents' DinnRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The After Party Podcast: Bob and Chez Talk About Moving, Game of Thrones, the Age of Outrage and Star Wars

MEMBERS ONLY: The After Party Podcast: Bob and Chez Talk About Moving, Game of Thrones, the Age of Outrage and Star Wars

Download the MP3 56 minutes, 23MB Not Safe For Work! This week: Vampire Bat Disco Coke Nostril: CRead more...