Undoing Obamacare May Backfire on Romney, Bankrupt Medicare

Under a Romney presidency, Medicare would be insolvent by 2016.

The Daily Banter Headline Grab (via The AP):

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s new promise to restore the Medicare cuts made by President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul law could backfire if he’s elected.

The reason: Obama’s cuts also extended the life of Medicare’s giant trust fund. By repealing them, Romney would move the program’s insolvency eight years closer, toward the end of what would be his first term in office.

Instead of running out of money in 2024, Medicare’s trust fund for inpatient care would go broke in 2016 without the cuts, according to estimates by the program’s own experts.

That could leave a President Romney little political breathing room to execute his own Medicare plan. Outside experts say it could force deeper cuts, and sooner.

Enhanced by Zemanta

MEMBERS ONLY: The Death and Rebirth of a Cartoon About Pot and SpongeBob

MEMBERS ONLY: The Death and Rebirth of a Cartoon About Pot and SpongeBob

Whenever 4/20 rolls around, I occasionally rewind 11 years or so to a cartoon I directed and co-wrotRead more...
Jesus Was Pro Transgender and Almost Certainly Pro Gay

Jesus Was Pro Transgender and Almost Certainly Pro Gay

Last week, I wrote about a Christians pastor who condemned his friend and fellow pastor for disassocRead more...
Conservative Suggests Minimum Wage Protesters Should 'Eat Fewer Meals'

Conservative Suggests Minimum Wage Protesters Should 'Eat Fewer Meals'

One of the subtle but nastier implications of the "American Dream" narrative is that poor people havRead more...