Ryan Supported Stimulus, Unemployment Benefits in 2002

Ryan on the House floor pitching stimulus during the post-9/11 recession.

The Daily Banter Headline Grab (via TPM):

Rep. Paul Ryan is a vocal critic of President Obama’s stimulus bill. As one of the GOP’s most outspoken critics of government spending, he has not only argued that the stimulus did not work, but that the entire premise of deficit spending to jump-start the economy is flawed.

But in 2002, Ryan sang a different tune.

When President George W. Bush pushed a stimulus package in 2002 in order to shore up the staggering economy, Ryan urged his Republican House colleagues to pass the bill. In a floor speech dug up by MSNBC host Chris Hayes, Ryan made the case for deficit spending in order to extend unemployment benefits and stimulate job creation.

“What we’re trying to accomplish today with the passage of this third stimulus package is to create jobs and help the unemployed,” Ryan said. “What we’re trying to accomplish is to pass the kinds of legislation that when they’ve passed in the past have grown the economy and gotten people back to work.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

MEMBERS ONLY: Who Stole My City?

MEMBERS ONLY: Who Stole My City?

I grew up in Clapham, south London in the 1980's, and have clear memories of what the city felt likeRead more...
MSNBC Falls for Worst On-Air Prank Call Ever, Continuing Proud TV News Tradition

MSNBC Falls for Worst On-Air Prank Call Ever, Continuing Proud TV News Tradition

There's no semi-regular occurrence in television news that infuriates the hell out of me more than aRead more...
Did You Know ISIS is Getting Their Balls Beat Off In Tikrit?

Did You Know ISIS is Getting Their Balls Beat Off In Tikrit?

It might seem like Hillary Clinton's emails are the biggest story in the world right now, but prior Read more...