Paul Ryan Criticized His Own Medicare Spending Reductions

Paul Ryan's plan includes the exact same savings in Obamacare.

The Daily Banter Headline Grab (via The Huffington Post):

“The president, I am told, is talking about Medicare today,” Ryan said during an appearance at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. “We want this debate. We need this debate, and we will win this debate.

“What I don’t think he’ll be telling people is that the president took $716 billion from the Medicare program — he raided it — to pay for Obamacare.”

But while slamming Obama for Medicare cuts, Ryan failed to mention that his own plan actually leaves Obama’s savings in place.

Medicare has become a focal point in the presidential election, as Ryan’s controversial budget — the ideological backbone of the House Republican agenda — would drastically overhaul the current Medicare system.

The Romney-Ryan campaign, likely anticipating a slew of attacks over Medicare, quickly went on offense. Days after Ryan joined the ticket, the campaign released an ad accusing Obama of cutting more than $700 billion from Medicare.

HuffPost’s Sam Stein reports there are two things wrong with that:

The first is that Obama didn’t necessarily “cut” Medicare; he limited the expected rate of growth in the program on the supplier side by eliminating waste, fraud and abuse, mostly in Medicare Advantage. And the savings that Obama achieved are adopted by Ryan in his own budget.

The Obama campaign responded swiftly to Ryan’s comments Wednesday night. “Today, Mitt Romney forced Paul Ryan to attack his own budget,” Obama campaign spokesman Danny Kanner said in a statement. “Congressman Ryan knows that the $716 billion in Medicare savings that he included in two of his own budgets do not cut a single guaranteed Medicare benefit. It’s a shame that someone picked for his ‘strong beliefs’ is now abandoning them just to help Mr. Romney score a political point.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

Quote of the Day: Here's Why Jon Stewart's Leaving <em>The Daily Show</em> (Hint: It's What We Thought)

Quote of the Day: Here's Why Jon Stewart's Leaving The Daily Show (Hint: It's What We Thought)

(Photo: Action Press/Rex) “Watching these channels all day is incredibly depressing. I live in a coRead more...
Sorry, Adam Carolla, the IRS Will Never Be Abolished -- Ever

Sorry, Adam Carolla, the IRS Will Never Be Abolished -- Ever

The most childish yet entertaining policy initiative out of the tea party is the idea of abolishing Read more...
MEMBERS ONLY: Rand Paul Gives the Koch Brothers a Big Wet Kiss in TIME Because He Wants Their Money

MEMBERS ONLY: Rand Paul Gives the Koch Brothers a Big Wet Kiss in TIME Because He Wants Their Money

We have officially reached the point in which Republican presidential candidates no longer even put Read more...