Is CNN Implying it is Fair to Target Muslims?

MEMBERS ONLY: Football, NASCAR, and Dave Weigel Come To White House

MEMBERS ONLY: Football, NASCAR, and Dave Weigel Come To White House

Good morning, loyal Banter members, and welcome to your weekly look behind the scenes of our White HRead more...
Ted Cruz: Gay Activists and Marriage Equality Supporters Are 'Liberal Fascists'

Ted Cruz: Gay Activists and Marriage Equality Supporters Are 'Liberal Fascists'

Arguably the most ludicrous book to emerge during the George W. Bush era was hilariously titled, LibRead more...
Watch President Obama and Cecily Strong Play the Worst Room in Comedy at WHCD

Watch President Obama and Cecily Strong Play the Worst Room in Comedy at WHCD

Saturday night's White House Correspondents' Association Dinner (also known as "Nerd Prom" by annoyiRead more...
  • Christopher Foxx

    In a word: No.

    In two words: Clearly not.

    In more words: While he does describe the Sikhs as “unfairly targeted” I don’t see that he’s thereby suggesting that he thinks Muslims are fair game. What should he have said instead? “Incorrectly targeted”? “Mistakenly targeted”? If one wanted to they could wring out an interpretation from either of those that he’s saying it’s correct or not a mistake to target Muslims.

    Based on what I’ve read elsewhere, the current understanding is that the killer was probably mad at Muslims and didn’t realize that the Sikhs were someone different. Clearly the speaker is trying to communicate that and used “unfairly” to do so. I think one needs to be looking for something to see it as an endorsement of attacks on Muslims.