Elizabeth Warren: “It’s a Rigged Game that Benefits Big Corporations”

The awesome Elizabeth Warren has penned a must read article in Politico on America’s rigged economic system that prevents small businesses from flourishing and allows Big Business to get bigger and avoid paying their fair share of taxes:

If a business takes its profits to the Cayman Islands, ships its jobs overseas or finds a loophole to avoid paying its fair share of taxes, then that business now has a leg up over every small business and start up that can’t take advantage of those loopholes. Sometimes the big can get bigger not because they are better but because they can work the system better. That’s bad for every small business in America.

Asked recently about news that Mitt Romney had money in offshore tax havens, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said, “It’s really American to avoid paying taxes, legally…. It’s a game we play. … I see nothing wrong with playing the game because we set it up to be a game.”

Graham is right about one thing — it’s a game for some. It’s a rigged game that benefits big corporations and billionaires who can deploy armies of lobbyists and lawyers to create those tax loopholes and then exploit them.

It is incredibly sad that Warren stands virtually alone in the Democratic Party when it comes to standing up and for and articulating what she believes in, as most of her colleagues venture further and further to the right in the name of political viability. Americans tend to gravitate to politicians who actually say what they think regardless of political affiliation, so the more Elizabeth Warrens out there, the better. If she beats Scott Brown for the Senate in Massachusetts it should serve as a lesson to other Democrats: That it is ok to actually stand for something.

Enhanced by Zemanta