What is Higgs Boson?

An example of simulated data modelled for the ...

An example of simulated data modelled for the CMS particle detector on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Here, following a collision of two protons, a is produced which decays into two jets of hadrons and two electrons. The lines represent the possible paths of particles produced by the proton-proton collision in the detector while the energy these particles deposit is shown in blue. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The press release from CERN:

“We observe in our data clear signs of a new particle, at the level of 5 sigma, in the mass region around 126 GeV. The outstanding performance of the LHC and ATLAS and the huge efforts of many people have brought us to this exciting stage,” said ATLAS experiment spokesperson Fabiola Gianotti, “but a little more time is needed to prepare these results for publication.”

“The results are preliminary but the 5 sigma signal at around 125 GeV we’re seeing is dramatic. This is indeed a new particle. We know it must be a boson and it’s the heaviest boson ever found,” said CMS experiment spokesperson Joe Incandela. “The implications are very significant and it is precisely for this reason that we must be extremely diligent in all of our studies and cross-checks.”

“It’s hard not to get excited by these results,” said CERN Research Director Sergio Bertolucci. “ We stated last year that in 2012 we would either find a new Higgs-like particle or exclude the existence of the Standard Model Higgs. With all the necessary caution, it looks to me that we are at a branching point: the observation of this new particle indicates the path for the future towards a more detailed understanding of what we’re seeing in the data.”

Enhanced by Zemanta

More on the Banter:

Rand Paul Flip-Flops on Drones Again: They Should Be Legal But He'd Shoot One Down Anyway

Rand Paul Flip-Flops on Drones Again: They Should Be Legal But He'd Shoot One Down Anyway

Rand Paul's chief liability is his consistent lack of consistency, and this new statement on drones Read more...
Meet New Fox News White House Correspondent Kevin Corke

Meet New Fox News White House Correspondent Kevin Corke

December saw the unfortunate retirement of Fox News White House Correspondent Wendell Goler, but thiRead more...
Requiem for a Nightmare: With a Growing Measles Outbreak, Is the Anti-Vaxxer Movement Finally Finished?

Requiem for a Nightmare: With a Growing Measles Outbreak, Is the Anti-Vaxxer Movement Finally Finished?

There are those among us who've thought all this time that vaccines were the problem rather than theRead more...
The New 'Ghostbusters' Has An All-Female Cast and You Will Deal With It

The New 'Ghostbusters' Has An All-Female Cast and You Will Deal With It

But much like the dinosaurs breeding in Jurassic Park, the new 'Ghostbusters' movie, uh, found a wayRead more...
GoDaddy Pulled Its Super Bowl Puppy Ad Because the Internet Is Dumb

GoDaddy Pulled Its Super Bowl Puppy Ad Because the Internet Is Dumb

Everybody, please take the rest of the day off. It's the least you deserve for having overcome everyRead more...