The Right, Aggrieved

One of the more bewildering things the right did during the Bush era was complain endlessly about how under assault it was. For those of us who lived through the Clinton presidency, it was a strange thing to hear. The right had the White House, House, Senate, and the Federal Judiciary. In the game of American political power, there isn’t much more to achieve.

And yet, if you tuned into the right you would think it we were living though some sort of combination of the Progressive Era combined with the New Deal. Even when they win and control everything, they have to be the victims. Even when they get the media to cheerlead a war, it is the boogeyman “liberal media” that is hidden behind every grassy knoll. Even when they control the levers of power, there will always be a Democratic to blame for the sin of breathing.

Now, with the news of an apparent change in position by Chief Justice Roberts on the individual mandate, no matter how many other right-wing positions he has upheld — and will likely uphold for decades into the future — they now have a well-cemented betrayal narrative once again in place. For years now, we will hear about how the man who made it to the top of the conservative legal establishment was total putty in the hand of the nefarious left.

The Roberts Betrayal will be yet another clarion call for the right. Never mind the idea that John Roberts upheld the Heritage Foundation’s health care mandate. Mere details are just so much noise for the right and their betrayal narrative.

Even when they win, they must find a way to manufacture some method in which they are under assault. It is who they are.

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

  • The Dark Avenger

    I tell the truth about you, Frank. You’ve never demonstrated where I’ve lied about you once in my posts on my website.

    • Justanotherrighty

      Because I will not give the publicity your website does not deserve … You have added and deleted things from my comments to make it look as if I made insulting comments about myself.
      Where I come from, that’s lying.
      Quoting someone out of context is deceptive – lying – even if you do provide a link to what they said …
      I’ve also noticed that my comments that you edited to falsify them are nowhere to be found. You removed them so you could say you never lied.
      You’re not smarter than I am . You never were smarter than I am. You never will be smarter than I am .
      You cut and paste because you can’t construct original thought ; you can’t analyze and synthesize. You are trying desperately to convince someone , anyone, that you are not a worthless piece of crap, and you think that the way to do it is to prove that you’re better than me.
      Bad strategy on two counts: One, you at least have to get a start on convincing yourself you’re a good person before you can persuade anyone else.
      Second, picking me as your target was a huge tactical error. I am always thinking at least 10 steps ahead of you. I am better educated than you are. I am more knowledgeable about more subjects than you are. I think faster and more clearly than you do. I can analyze and synthesize faster and better than you.
      If I were a racehorse, you’d be a mule.
      Acceptance is the key … Let it go.

  • Justanotherrighty

    db: I usually anticipate a flame fest after I post a lengthy comment. This time was no exception.
    When I came over here to Daily Banter I had a choice: Post as Frank DiSalle, and have every thread I was involved in appear on Facebook, or change my name and keep my comments here.
    When I saw how exercised Dark Avenger became over my name , a Chris Matthews like tingle went up my leg, and I became determined to keep it.
    { Aside to Dumb Ass – have you changed the name of your POS blog yet? Or are you afraid all both of your readers will get confused?)
    As to your question about Bush – yes, occasionally Pres Bush agreed to liberal ideas, unlike His Majestyness, who won’t budge from his Keynesian agenda to save his country (at least, I think it’s his; the way he acts, it’s hard to tell) or even get his sorry ass reelected. Which was, essentially, my point. Liberals are only concerned about the Agenda; they don’t care about people, they don’t care about their country, and the damn sure don’t care about right and wrong…

    Oh, and welcome back , Wilbur The Pseudo Pseudo Intellectual { that’s not a typo; he’s not even good at pretending he’s an intellectual }

    • The Dark Avenger

      What do you think, Frank?

      • Justanotherrighty

        I think you’re a sick f*ck…

        • The Dark Avenger

          That’s hilarious, coming from a copraphage like you.

          • Justanotherrighty

            You like using that word, don’t you?
            Hmmmmmm …..

          • The Dark Avenger

            But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man ‘unclean.’ For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man ‘unclean’, but eating with unwashed hands does not make him ‘unclean.’”

            You like using that word, don’t you?

            Not as much as you like using it as a response when confronted with the truth.

          • Justanotherrighty

            And if anyone knows anything about false testimony and slander, it’s you, you sanctimonious, lying, pathetic, execrable bag of neuroses.
            If our lives were a thousand years, nay, ten thousand years, I will always best you.
            Always.

  • Plunket

    I would shudder if I were to try to explain the movement of 31,000 people as due to one factor alone.

    Save Farris didn’t say it was due to one factor and one factor alone, and the article he linked to spelled that out quite clearly as well, db.

    We have two facts with no causal link. The typical Post Hoc argument.

    Is logic no longer taught in schools?

    Remember that the next time Obama, or any liberal, actually, tells you that he wants to go back to the tax rates of the Clinton years because everything was so wonderful then with higher rates, because that is exactly the causal link they’re making, the exact same Post Hoc argument you’re against. Obama just made that Post Hoc argument yesterday, in fact.

    Quit playing the naive game and try to be a little more intellectually honest for once, db. Do you think Obama isn’t using logic when he points to the Clinton years as a reason to raise income tax rates now?

    • The Dark Avenger

      Gee, Pluket, when will we get all the jobs that the low tax rates on the 1% are suppose to unleash because the “job creators” will use the money they save on taxes to hire more people?

      Here’s what Krugman, a Noble Prize-winning economist has to say about the subject:

      This is the basis of the result from optimal taxation theory that says that from the point of view of everyone except the very rich the optimal top tax rate is the rate that maximizes revenue — full stop. And since the rich already make so much money, their marginal utility from an extra dollar is very small, so the revenue-maximizing tax also maximizes welfare for society as a whole.

      Oh, and we have pretty good evidence on the (small) actual incentive effects of changes in top tax rates, enough to suggest that the optimal rate is in the 70-80 percent range — which is where it was in the 1960s, a decade of very good economic performance.

      Now, obviously the Romney fans have a very different view. They seem to believe that John Q. Wheelerdealer somehow adds much more to the economy than even the lavish amount he gets paid; he’s an engine of growth! Oddly, though, they also claim to believe in the perfection of markets — and the only way to justify their belief in their own special role is to claim that there is some kind of massive market failure.

      So there’s a huge contradiction in the whole position of the self-regarding rich — a contradiction that I’m quite sure bothers them not at all. More champagne?

  • The Dark Avenger

    db, another consideration is that we don’t know what % of those migrating went to a lower-tax state vs. a high or higher tax state.

    We also don’t know who migrated due to personal factors like a death in the family, marriage, or helping out a relative by moving closer, etc.

    Yep, SF has once again demonstrated a faulty reasoning process.

    Color me surprised.

    • db

      DA,

      You are, of course, right. I would shudder if I were to try to explain the movement of 31,000 people as due to one factor alone.

      We have two facts with no causal link. The typical Post Hoc argument.

      Is logic no longer taught in schools?

  • SaveFarris

    Right up Oliver’s alley:

    Heck of a job, Mike:

    A new report says wealthy Maryland residents may be moving out due to recent tax hikes – a finding that is sure to escalate the battle over taxing the American rich.

    The study, by the anti-tax group Change Maryland, says that a net 31,000 residents left the state between 2007 and 2010, the tenure of a “millionaire’s tax” pushed through by Gov. Martin O’Malley. The tax, which expired in 2010, in imposed a rate of 6.25 percent on incomes of more than $1 million a year.

    The Change Maryland study found that the tax cost Maryland $1.7 billion in lost tax revenues. A county-by-county analysis by Change Maryland also found that the state’s wealthiest counties also had some of the largest population outflows.

    Obama 2012: Bringing Maryland’s malaise Nationwide!

    • The Dark Avenger

      The only reason you’d even think about raising taxes, on anyone, is if you think “The private sector is doing fine”…

      Well, do you?

      The housing market is picking up around here and the rest of the country:

      Housing leads recoveries. It’s a law of American economics. There would have been no “Reagan Recovery” without the acceleration of home building in 1981. The last two bounce-backs — shallow as they were — in the early ’90s and ’00s also corresponded with a huge run-up in residential construction. So one reason why this recovery has been so disappointing is that home prices have kept falling, buyers have kept waiting, and the economy’s most important booster engine has been dormant.

      As for manufacturing being down, you really think that not imposing taxes on the top 5% will make a difference with that one?

      From the link:

      The most likely scenario, I think, is that housing shifts from neutral to first gear and manufacturing shifts from second gear to join housing in first gear, and two big industries slowly growing gives us basically the same recovery rate we’ve had: slow, frustrating, precarious, and, somehow, consistent.

      I take the word of a guy who writes about it for a living over your limited logic and skillful misuse of the facts, SF, nothing personal about it, you understand.

      Sounds like a great time to raise taxes!

      Tell me, exactly how many jobs will these tax increases create?

      Depends what you do with the money, doesn’t it? If you give it to the states and localities to hire people to do things like, I dunno, fixing infrastructure like potholes or upgrading traffic lights to LEDs so that municipalites and the like save money, I would say that would be a great public benefit.

      You seem to believe that the top 5% would be spending this money or hiring people with it, when it’s in their interest to bank it and let it collect interest. Money drawing interest does help the economy in a very small way, but not to the extend that the first two actions I listed would. That should be obvious to anyone whose graduated from high school and has some understanding of human nature, especially the subspecies H. sapiens sapiens pecunia(or Modern Money Man).

      Obama 2012: Bringing Maryland’s malaise Nationwide!

      SF, I hate to break it to you, but in order to shelter income from US taxes, you have to do a little more than move out of the jurisdiction of the United States, or pull one’s funds from American institutions.

      • db

        DA,

        If you look more closely at Farris’ figures; I think you’ll find a “post hoc” argument.

        First he cites the anti-tax RW group.
        Next he cites them for MD losing 31,000 people between ’07 & ’10.
        (He leaves you to assume they are millionaires but never states so)
        The tax complained of expired in ’10.
        He does not cite or even announce that millionaires are returning to MD; which would be necessary if he wishes to prove that the tax alone caused the movement.

        So you’ve got two events (& I’ll toss the recession into the mix). What you don’t have is casuality.

        Based on our earlier conversations with “Batty”; I think you’re right about housing.There has been some up-tick in prices already. Employment firms, fewer houses are forclosed or distressed, Sellers aren’t as panicked & they hold out for higher prices.

    • Zython

      Well then, it shouldn’t be hard to find the names oF a few of those people, right? Right?

  • Plunket

    You can’t make this stuff up, folks.

    OMG. I leave a link for you with the reference to the famous Joe Biden gaffe and you still don’t get it.

    You’re right, Christopher, you can’t make this stuff up.

    • The Dark Avenger

      We’re a most unappreciative audience for your wit and wisdom, Dennis, have you thought about getting on America’s Sh*ttest Website to exercise your talents? They might even make it a profitable venture for you.

      Enjoy the rest of your lunch hour.

      • db

        DA,

        Wasn’t the Bush 41 Tax Reconciliation Act the foundation of the prosperity of the 90’s & the basis of the balanced budget late that decade? It was 1990 as I remember; but I’d defer to your research.

        Thank you for the axolotl information. salamander, not vole. Kinda close except salamanders are warm weather & voles are mountainous critters, so like it cold.

        • The Dark Avenger

          db,

          There are some salamanders that live in cold water, like the giant salamander of Japan, but the distinction you make in this case is a valid one, and voles are mammals, FWIW.

          As for Bush 41, this is what I culled from the Wiki:

          Economy

          Early in his term, Bush faced the problem of what to do with leftover deficits spawned by the Reagan years. At $220 billion in 1990, the deficit had grown to three times its size since 1980.[12] Bush was dedicated to curbing the deficit, believing that America could not continue to be a leader in the world without doing so.[12] He began an effort to persuade the Democratic controlled Congress to act on the budget;[12] with Republicans believing that the best way was to cut government spending, and Democrats convinced that the only way would be to raise taxes, Bush faced problems when it came to consensus building.[12]

          In the wake of a struggle with Congress, Bush was forced by the Democratic majority to raise tax revenues; as a result, many Republicans felt betrayed because Bush had promised “no new taxes” in his 1988 campaign.[12] Perceiving a means of revenge, Republican congressmen defeated Bush’s proposal which would enact spending cuts and tax increases that would reduce the deficit by $500 billion over five years.[12] Scrambling, Bush accepted the Democrats’ demands for higher taxes and more spending, which alienated him from Republicans and gave way to a sharp decrease in popularity.[13] Bush would later say that he wished he had never signed the bill.[12] Near the end of the 101st Congress, the president and congressional members reached a compromise on a budget package that increased the marginal tax rate and phased out exemptions for high-income taxpayers.[13] Despite demands for a reduction in the capital gains tax, Bush relented on this issue as well.[13] This agreement with the Democratic leadership in Congress proved to be a turning point in the Bush presidency; his popularity among Republicans never fully recovered.[13]

          Coming at around the same time as the budget deal, America entered into a mild recession, lasting for six months.[12] Many government programs, such as welfare, increased.[12] As the unemployment rate edged upward in 1991, Bush signed a bill providing additional benefits for unemployed workers.[13] 1991 was marked by many corporate reorganizations, which laid off a substantial number of workers. Many now unemployed were Republicans and independents, who had believed that their jobs were secure.

          By his second year in office, Bush was told by his economic advisors to stop dealing with the economy, as they believed that he had done everything necessary to ensure his reelection.[12] By 1992, interest and inflation rates were the lowest in years, but by midyear the unemployment rate reached 7.8 percent, the highest since 1984.[13] In September 1992, the Census Bureau reported that 14.2 percent of all Americans lived in poverty.[13] At a press conference in 1990,SF Bush told reporters that he found foreign policy more enjoyable.[12]

          Of course, SF is trying to say that Obama raising taxes on the top 5% of income earners is the same as Bush 41’s total disavowal of his promise(read my lips).

          His unstated premise is that we are still in the middle of the Bush 43 Recession that Obama was talking about in 2009, and thus his perspective then is still valid now.

          I don’t think you could make the argument in 2009 that a tax raise on the top 5% would be deleterious to the economy, and I don’t think that is the context Obama was making about raising taxes in that YouTube clip.

          Poor SF, tragically condemned to come here day after day to shill for his Republican masters in such an inadequate fashion, he’s the Sisyphus of this website.

  • Christopher Foxx

    Plunket: I have a 4-letter suggestion for you to work on instead of sitting in front of your hand-me-down laptop all day and and all night long……. J-O-B.

    You can’t make this stuff up, folks.

  • SaveFarris

    Obama really, really, really wants to lose, doesn’t he?

    Obama 2012: Because It Worked So Well for Bush 41

    • The Dark Avenger

      Yes, SF, because increasing taxes during a recession on the people who have a net income above a quarter of a million$/year is such a political loser.

      • SaveFarris

        Nobel Prize-winning economists think that’s a bad idea.

        But hey: by all means PLEASE run on a platform of increased taxes. It worked wonders for President Mondale!

        • The Dark Avenger

          Again, SF, there’s a difference between raising taxes in general, what Obama has proposed, and what the Republicans want.

          Are you saying that Obama is going to go back to 2009 and raise taxes in the middle of a recession?

          I know you think he’s talented, but……………………..

          • SaveFarris

            The only reason you’d even think about raising taxes, on anyone, is if you think “The private sector is doing fine”

            Well, do you?

            GDP is shrinking.
            Hiring is slowing to a standstill.
            Manufacturing has shrunk for the first time since 2008.
            Both China and Europe are poised to break hard into recession, taking us along with them.

            Sounds like a great time to raise taxes!

            Tell me, exactly how many jobs will these tax increases create?

        • Zython

          Well, do you?

          Corporate profits at an all time high.

          Tell me, exactly how many jobs will these tax increases create?

          How many jobs did giving the rich free money create? Seems to me the “job creators” are doing a sucky job at it. And if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

          • SaveFarris

            Nobody “gave” the rich free money. They had to earn it. It’s theirs. It’s the government who wants “free” money that they didn’t do anything for.

            But to answer your question, 6.7 million jobs in a 4 year span (2003-2007). Compared to Obama’s -1 million over his 3.5 years, I know which one I’d prefer.

          • The Dark Avenger

            Can’t remember recent history, SF?:

            Under the emergency Wall Street rescue enacted in October, Congress can vote to block the second $350 billion payout within 15 days after the White House requests it. The president can veto the congressional action, requiring a two-thirds vote in the Senate and House to block the new spending. Despite deep misgivings over the TARP so far, Democrats on Capitol Hill are desperate to avoid a veto fight with Mr. Obama just days after he takes office next week.

            350 billion $ of free money given to those poor, poor, banks.

            You were saying, SF?

  • The Dark Avenger

    As I was saying, an axolotl is a neoteric salamander that of course, has no powers of speech or reasoning, that’s why I added those traits to my statement about alien abductions and Dennis.

    • Plunket

      C+P, I have a 4-letter suggestion for you to work on instead of sitting in front of your hand-me-down laptop all day and and all night long……. J-O-B.

      • The Dark Avenger

        I do have a job (or rather jobs, depending on the time of year), I don’t draw unemployment(which would be illegal), I pay my city utility bill every month, and I do community theater during my evening hours as my way of giving back and supporting arts on a local level.

        Given that, Dennis the Blowhard, why the butthurt that I’m not one of the 99% that’s working 40+ hours a week like you, which aspect of your life apparently makes your ass smell like violets?

        Here you are, a supposedly shining version of conservatism, and you’re wasting time with me on the internet with your links because I’m mean to your vicious dry drunk buddy.

        I’m sorry you’re so tormented, Dennis, but kicking me around here doesn’t change any factors of your life, but thanks for all the attention over the years.

        I feel compelled to warn you that you should be very careful as to what computer you use to post here.

        Keystroke-capture programs are the most difficult spyware to detect and their greatest legitimate use these days is by companies that don’t want their employees wanking off to youngcroatianchicks.com while they’re on the clock before or after lunch, or, say, handling their mid-life crisis with insults and a lack of style against an unmet antagonist on the internet.

  • oi ly

    Dennis – always the kindling and never the fire.

  • The Dark Avenger

    BTW, Dennis, if you were to be abducted and dissected by aliens, I would expect them to find that your nervous system differs little from that of an axolotl which has some limited abilities at speech and reasoning.

  • The Dark Avenger

    Do you have a definition that makes sense for ‘comity gold’, Dennis?

    Price of my high-speed connection: 35$/month.

    Price of my laptop: Free, given to me by a family friend.

    Seeing Dennis make an obvious mistake in another failed attempt to demonstrate some sort of superiority to the Ollie and the other commentators here: Priceless.

    • Plunket

      That was for Wil-l-l-l-bur, actually. Thought you finally had your elusive gotcha moment, didn’t you, C+P?

      6:20 in the morning on a Sunday and you sit there waiting with baited breath for me to post, and responding in just over ten minutes from mine. A very sad life indeed for you, C+P. Very sad. I mean, what do you do, set your alarm or something?

      Freaky.

      • The Dark Avenger

        Oh, you meant to do that, Dennis?

        6:20 in the morning on a Sunday and you sit there waiting with baited breath for me to post

        Google Search baited breath.

        And how would you know what time it is where I live, Dennis the stalker?

        A very sad life indeed for you, C+P. Very sad. I mean, what do you do, set your alarm or something?

        Not as sad as your own inability to find your wife(who sounds lovely on the phone, BTW) and job as satisfying as acting like a kook on this thread.

        Maybe I’ve place a spycam in your house so I can keep track of your comings and going, Dennis.

        • The Dark Avenger

          And I do apologize for not keeping track of every insult you graced different commentators with over the years, Dennis.

          You do realize that by linking to that comment you’ve really outed yourself, haven’t you, Mr. S?

          Now folks, that’s comedy gold.

          • db

            DA,

            First off thanks for explaining. I was trying to figure out “Comity Gold” & wasn’t getting too far. “Comedy Gold” makes much more sense. I was afraid it was some “in thing” joke that was beyond me.

            Next, I don’t see where Dennis has “outed himself”. Of course it is only my prurient interest that would unveil Dennis’ “Secret identity”.

            And am I confused? I thought an axolotl was a small ferret-like critter. Like the Vole. It possesses neither speech or reasoning.

          • The Dark Avenger

            Next, I don’t see where Dennis has “outed himself”. Of course it is only my prurient interest that would unveil Dennis’ “Secret identity”.

            If you follow the link that “Plunket” made in reply to my post, you will find that it goes to a thread where Dennis used the phrase comity gold to Wilbur. So either “Plunket” has been keeping track of who said what to whom for a long time on Ollies’ site, or “Plunket” is Dennis.

            Lastly, an axototl is a neotenous

  • Plunket

    Shorter Copypasta DA: “I read Mencken, so who cares if I frequently use words I don’t the meaning of?”

    Comity gold.

  • The Dark Avenger

    Can anyone explain why they’ve gotten so much dumber?

    Global Warming, laziness, stupidity, the answers are legion, as are the devils that torment them both.

  • Wilbur

    Been away for a while. I take it that Justy and Plunket have been outed as Frank and Dennis? Can anyone explain why they’ve gotten so much dumber?

    • db

      Hi Wil,

      Welcome back. Hope you had an enjoyable vacation.

      I’m not sure I’d agree with dumber. I remember Dennis coming up with some doozies.(another interesting word- have to look up its’ origins)

  • The Dark Avenger

    If you really weren’t as I’ve described you, you wouldn’t be exhibiting levels of butthurt that reaches to a super luminous velocity, Dennis. If you really weren’t Dennis you’d have protested or informed me of that fact before today.

    It’s not what you read, it’s what you comprehend and how you interpret and use it

    Surprisingly, Dennis, the founder of Christianity agrees with you. I’d look up the Bible verse, but that would only give you another chance to moan and groan like Kronosian tark in heat about my “C&P”.

    Please find it and for once in your misbegotten life demonstrate that you have an IQ higher than room temperature.

    • Plunket

      C+P, this high level of intelligence that you claim from casual early 20th century novel-reading, what good is it if you don’t put to use other than hanging out on liberal blogs all day and night? I mean, I understand completely why you’re so in favor of the Obama regime’s redistribution plans, but even he would prefer to see some semblance of productivity from you other than fighting to protect his reputation on the internet with words you don’t know the meaning of.

      Am I missing something here?

      • The Dark Avenger

        C+P, this high level of intelligence that you claim from casual early 20th century novel-reading, what good is it if you don’t put to use other than hanging out on liberal blogs all day and night?

        Your butthurt has an ROI of effort in the thousands of % range, Dennis. Who appointed you the arbiter of what I do with my spare time?

        I mean, I understand completely why you’re so in favor of the Obama regime’s redistribution plans,

        No, I’d be happy if you were drawn and quartered and your head featured on the White House Main gate for a fortnight. You really don’t know much about me, do you?

        but even he would prefer to see some semblance of productivity from you other than fighting to protect his reputation on the internet with words you don’t know the meaning of.

        There you go again with your failed line of attack, Dennis. I don’t give a flying f*ck about your opinion of my vocabulary or your 5th grade insults. You couldn’t find your ass with two hands, printed directions and the use of a GPS device.

        But linking to a comment you made under your real name, and continuing to pose as Plunket, that makes you a walking commercial for the Dunning-Kruger effect. If this country were run rationally, you’d be locked away in a room with spy cams and video feeds to warn the young of this country what happens to a perfectly normal mind when poisoned by the twin evils of American Conservatism and excessive self-esteem.

        You bring out the best in me, Dennis/Plunket, you’re more fun than a barrel of monkeys or a murder of crows.

        Am I missing something here?

        I am truly sorry, but Ollie doesn’t have the bandwidth in order for me to answer your question completely and compentently.

        • Plunket

          You sound like a raving lunatic, C+P.

          Conservatism and self-esteem have served me fine. What’s liberalism gotten you, aside from unemployed, unmotivated, jealous, bizarrely insecure and insanely obsessed over shit that does you no good? Liberalism tells you that’s ok, that the state will take care of you as long as you keep voting Democrats in office.

          Liberalism’s done bupkus for you.

  • Plunket

    I have no balding whatsoever and no gray hairs, either, C+P. And who gives a shit what you were reading at 14? It’s not what you read, it’s what you comprehend and how you interpret and use it. You read it, copy it, and then paste it and pretend the words are your essence. That’s douchebaggery.

    “Whilst’, another word no one uses in everyday conversation.

    You’re a complete fake.

  • The Dark Avenger

    db, Dennis is accurate in my age, as he envies the fact that I’m not balding with rapidly greying hair as he has.

    It’s funny how he pretends to read minds and motivations from what I post here and on my website, if he could combine his mind reading with another acceptable form of entertainment, like making balloon animals or pulling members of the genus Lepus out of top hats, I could get him something in the Catskills until Labor Day.

    I used pedagogue because it was a favorite term of Mencken, although I can’t say that he’d use it to describe Dennis as I did. I was reading Mencken at the age of 14, whilst Dennis was probably perusing his father’s Playboys for the articles and barely understand 40% of the material that wasn’t about the Playmate of the Month.

    • db

      DA

      Yea verily, thou speaketh sooth. Whilst yon varlet, Phlunk…

      Thou is left over from the personal vs. the formal you. Du & Sie in German. English has lost the difference.

      The “eth” endings have been lost & the final syllable “ed” endings are only now used in Church hymns. Bless-ed instead of blessed. Helps with the rhyme & meter too.

      Sooth has evolved into truth as has verily into truthily or truthfully.

      But you understood what I was saying & that is the ultimate point of any language.

      For an encore read any of the plays of Bernard Shaw when he wrote in his “distinctive” form of spelling. You were reading Mencken at 14; I was reading Shaw & my spelling has never recovered. English vs. American; Shaw vs. the OED. I drive my spell-check crazy.

  • db

    DA,

    “In your 50′s hoping db and Zython will look up to you.”

    I thought you were younger than that. Or does Phlunk mean that we have to wait until you’re that old to look up to you?

    Farrago is not in my common use vocabulary but I did not have to consult the OED for the definition either. If it helps; “farrago of nonsense” made perfect sense to me.

    I’m not sure pedagogue is the word I’d use but I see Phlunk hurling his pronouncements with (what he perceives as) near-Papal infallibility while all the time using words that Mark Twain described as being just a bit “off key”.

  • The Dark Avenger

    I just pity people who try hard to fit words in their sentences when they don’t know what they mean.

    I thought only liberals felt sympathetic to those who weren’t succeeding, Dennis.

    farrago
    [fuh-rah-goh, -rey-]   Example Sentences Origin
    far·ra·go
       [fuh-rah-goh, -rey-] Show IPA
    noun, plural far·ra·goes.
    a confused mixture; hodgepodge; medley: a farrago of doubts, fears, hopes, and wishes.

    So I called your drunk dry buddies political thought a confused mixture of nonsense.

    Your butthurt is so intense, Dennis, not only can it be seen from the International Space Station in orbit, it’s the only thing it can see from orbit when it looks towards our fair blue-green planet.

    In your 50′s hoping db and Zython will look up to you..

    Well, they certainly don’t look up to you for anything except comic relief and stupidity.

    Keep playing the pedagogue, I’m so touched that you keep track of what insults I use and have used on your ‘little buddy’ the dry drunk.

  • db

    Phlunk,

    “I mean, seriously, who ever refers to something as a screed in their everyday conversations? You write as if you’re reciting from a script you’ve never read before, forced, and awkward.”

    Off topic, but languages evolve.

    That’s why Chaucer is all but unreadable without a translation. It’s why The King James Bible seems stilted. It’s why the Folger’s Shakespeare Plays are published with the play on the left page & footnotes on the right page. And most bizarrely, twice is a valid word but thrice is an anachronism & I have no idea what the word for four times was.

    • The Dark Avenger

      Dennis the Dense is never more tiresome then when he switches from being a political idiot to acting like he has some special expertise in the English language.

      • Plunket

        No, I don’t act like I have some special expertise in the English language, I just pity people who try hard to fit words in their sentences when they don’t know what they mean. You do that frequently. C’mon, a farrago of nonsense that poses as political wisdom?

        You’re like a hipster high school kid trying to be somebody he’s not, thinking he’s impressing the cool kids. In your 50’s hoping db and Zython will look up to you.

  • M2

    So our current unemployment figure is 8.2%. Can one right wingnut tell us what it was when Bush left office?

    • SaveFarris

      7.8%. And Obama only gets to 8.2% if you drastically shrink the labor force participation rate. If you use the same size labor force that Obama started with (not even accounting for population growth since), unemployment would be over 10%.

      Obama’s made it worse. Miserable failure.

      • The Dark Avenger

        The economy isn’t bleeding jobs like is was under GWB, SF, as you can see in these charts here, from that noted Commie/Socialist/Islamofascist publication, Business Insider.

        But Obama has a good economic story to tell, too.

        Namely:

        Before Obama took office, the economy was in freefall, obliterated by reckless tax cuts, massive consumer debts, and regulation-be-damned culture of the Republican Bush administration.

        As the attached charts show, the moment Obama arrived and implemented his stimulus, the economy began to improve. And it has gotten much, much better in the past four years.

        Mike Norman, Chief Economist of John Thomas Financial, has built a chartbook that shows 21 major market and economic indicators before and after President Obama was elected.

        Obama rolled out his stimulus just after taking office. And as these charts clearly show, it worked.

        “Romney Boom 2013: We promise cutting taxes will create more jobs this time.”

        • The Dark Avenger
        • db

          DA,

          I think the best line was Letterman’s in 2009(?) when he suggested, to (then) Gov. Jeb Bush, a presidential campaign slogan, “Vote Bush, this time it will be different.” Bush had the courtesy to laugh.

          The big problem is that Romney has taken every position on every issue & so it’s hard to get much further than, “I’m not Obama.” What exactly he’s for is much harder to discern.

          Much like our trolls here.

          • The Dark Avenger

            As Soros operative and card-carrying Commie Erza Klein noted, what economic policies that the Romney team has offered besides decrying those of Obama have a distinctively familiar tone to them:

            The Romney campaign’s rethink has been shallower. The candidate’s platform calls for extending all the Bush tax cuts and then adding more. It calls for repealing many of the new financial regulations but says nothing about what it would put in their place. The difference is that Romney talks much more about deficit reduction than Bush did and spends much less time emphasizing policies to reform the education system or expand health-care options for seniors. Where Bush sold himself as a “compassionate conservative,” Romney has sold himself as “severely conservative.”

            Still, there’s little that couldn’t have been there in 2000, or 1996, or 1988. Reading Romney’s policies, you would never know that the nation is still facing high unemployment rates or that it just came through the worst financial crisis in a generation. You certainly wouldn’t think we’d just emerged from a decade in which large tax cuts and financial deregulation led to major economic distress.

            This is not necessarily the fault of Romney’s advisers, who have rethought elements of the Republican Party platform and have taken risks. Mankiw, for instance, has eloquently argued for a tax on carbon emissions and for a looser monetary policy. Hubbard has pushed efforts to encourage mass refinancing. Vin Weber, another Romney adviser, was an advocate of the Bowles-Simpson deficit-reduction plan. But Romney hasn’t gone for any of these policies. There’s nothing in his campaign platform that couldn’t have been in Bush’s platform. In fact, most of it was.

            The irony of this is that, of late, the Obama camp is reverting to more traditionally Clintonian policies. Now that the worst of the crisis is over, the president’s advisers are pushing harder for a deficit-reduction package. Now that they’re facing a Republican Congress that doesn’t want to give an inch, they’re pushing more small, high-polling policy ideas — the very “politics of school uniforms” for which they once derided Clinton’s campaign. Now that the Bush tax cuts are set to expire, they’re arguing for letting the rates on the rich revert to Clinton-era levels. They’re even sending Clinton out to campaign for Obama. The election might end up being Bush vs. Clinton, even as it most likely will be between Obama and Romney.

            That could be a problem for the Romney campaign. Because just as most voters remember the Bush years, they remember the Clinton years, too. And they liked them a lot more.

        • SaveFarris

          Bush inherited a recession too. Let’s compare their recoveries.

          But please, by all means, keep pretending the stimulus worked. It just makes our job that much easier.

          Obama 2012: More of the Same

          • The Dark Avenger

            A logical conclusion from the data would also have to account for the fact that Bush start with an economy in 2001 that was as screwed as the one left to Obama in 2009. I don’t remember the economic impact of the Internet Bubble imploding reaching the magnitude of the housing and sub-prime mortgages crisis, do you?

        • SaveFarris

          You know who thinks we would have been better off if we hadn’t passed the stimulus?

          Barack Hussein Obama. Not only would we be down below 7%, but we wouldn’t be almost a trillion in the hole.

          • db

            Farris,

            You really think that? What were you doing four years ago? Did you sleep through the whole thing? Did you forget Candidate McCain suspending his campaigning & returning to Washington to help deal with the crisis?

            And what were you trying to prove with your link?

          • The Dark Avenger

            “that wasn’t” for “that was”

          • SaveFarris

            Obama’s Economic team said so themselves: the recesion was going to end of it’s own accord in late 2009/early 2010 whether we did anything or not. Fact. You can’t refute it.

            So for Obama to take credit for economic progress when…
            A. By his own accord, it was going to happen anyway.
            B. The amount that would have occured had we done nothing is MORE than what we got with Obama’s “something”
            … tells you how pitifully Obama failed.

            Obama’s record of debt, unemployment, and widespread misery is why he’s so desperate to change the subject to gay marriage, a “war on women”, lying about Romney so blatantly that even the WaPo and FactCheck call him out. Whatever he can do to avoid talking about his record. Because if that’s the subject, he loses.

            God luck with that!

          • Plunket

            Also, he’s lying when he says he didn’t know how bad the economy was back in 2009 when his economic advisors made those projections.

  • The Dark Avenger

    but do you really feel like it’s your responsibility to bail out the dumbshit doofus, even if he is just trying to be a smart-ass for kicks?

    Nah, if someone makes a rhetorical claim so wide that I could drive a Mack Truck through it, I’ll rise (or lower as in this case with you) to the occasion and demonstrate the hole in your logic.

    It wasn’t a screed, either. It was a one-line false reference with a link, something you should be very familiar with.

    Oh, you mean a Save Ferris, a self-refuting link? You’re correct, screed should be limited to your asinine, foul-tempered, and ignorant comments that you litter this site with, Dennis.

    BTW, found this definition for screed:

    b : an informal piece of writing (as a personal letter)

    Wouldn’t you say that definition would fit Zythons’ comment? Don’t bother to answer, as with most conservatives, deception has become second-nature with you, not that I find that a big surprise.

    It’s kinda pathetic. Really

    Not as pathetic as your attempt to sound like a mature dispenser of wisdom, when a metaphysical equivalent to an empty soap dispenser in a dirty gas station restroom.

    Here you are, feeling the need to insult me because I torment your dry drunk buddy because he’s an idiot.

    Here’s something I didn’t have to C & P, Dennis the Dense:

    “Birds of a feather…………………….”

    Spend some time with your family this weekend, Dennis, and try to have a good life, in spite of what all us ignorant, boastful, and stupid liberals write here from now on.

  • db

    “Justy”

    Was using Frank getting too difficult? Well okay, your choice. I have noticed, with approval, the lack of personal attacks. It’s certainly a step in the right direction.

    Now.

    “when a liberal reached out to a conservative, and offered to give up something …
    One moment.
    Just one …:

    and

    “But I am sure that since the politicians of the left practice that bipartisanship they are always asking of the right, that you’ll have no trouble finding dozens of examples of liberals’ cooperating with conservatives.”

    And you want to counter that the agreement was made, “Under pressure from Republicans “? Frank, if there weren’t pressure from Republicans; there’d be no need for compromise.

    I’d further point out that Liberals have stood for individual privacy & so generally opposed the Patriot Act. I remember back that far & it was a conservative measure, pushed by conservatives.

    Finally are you now calling the Shrub a Liberal?

    But I’ve no interest in playing word games. I suspected this would be a waste of time.

  • SaveFarris

    That would mean something if Republicans actually cared about unemployment.

    Why stop at $10/hr? Why not $20? $30? $1000? I mean, it’s only other people’s money. Right?

    Oh by the way, Democratics upped the minimum wage in 2007. How’d that work out?

    Republicans want people to have jobs. Democrats want people to have welfare. That’s the choice this November.

    • Zython

      Why stop at $10/hr? Why not $20? $30? $1000?

      Apparently, the concept of a “living wage” is lost on you. Of course, that’s not a unique occurrence.

      Oh by the way, Democratics upped the minimum wage in 2007. How’d that work out?

      This is why you shouldn’t have dropped out of middle school.

      Also, way to completely miss the fucking point, as usual. I’d spell it out for you, but I’m not going to accommodate your immoral lifestyle.

  • Zython

    No, actually, it doesn’t. It has to do with “I told you so,” and “The chickens coming home to roost,”

    That would make sense if they weren’t literally betting on the economy failing.

    • Plunket

      That would make sense if they weren’t literally betting on the economy failing.

      OMG, Zython, just when I think you couldn’t possibly be more of an imbecilic twit than you already are, you go and outdo yourself.

      Do yourself a favor, read this disclosure of Eric Cantor’s family net worth. It lists it as being somewhere in range of $2.8 million on the low side, to upwards of $15 million on the high side. Then go read that Salon link of yours again where it lists the amount he owned of the Treasury short fund (between $1,000 and $15,000). Even the high side of that investment against the low side of his net worth ($2.8 million, the highest percentage of his total NW, excluding his houses, is less than one-half of 1%.

      Even if that investment doubled or tripled, which would’ve meant total Armageddon with the Treasury market, it still would’ve meant very, very little to his overall net worth. The rest of his investment portfolio, along with his house, would’ve declined substantially in that scenario. So in effect, his insanely small amount in the Treasury short fund couldn’t even be called a decent hedge for him in case the market for Treasury bonds went totally south. It would’ve been insane for him to be plugging for a meltdown in the debt ceiling talks just so his Treasury short fund might’ve gone up a few thousand bucks, but half-wits like you read that article and think that’s what he was trying to do.

      That Salon was beyond stupid a year ago when the idiot there put it out, but for you to repeat it now and refer back to it as if it meant anything is just a testament to what an idiot you are, one who will believe literally anything he reads.

      • Zython

        You truly are a master of the butthurt. If you don’t have an issue with conservatives betting against America’s interests, then just say it.

        • Plunket

          Freaks you out that a Jewish conservative could be so successful at life, in his own finances and in his political career, doesn’t it, Zython?

          Something for you to truly loathe.

          But thanks for your bold display of economic ignorance. You’re exactly the reason why there’s so much financial disparity in this country.

          • The Dark Avenger

            Yes, the fact that Zython mentioned Cantor’s religion and ethnic affiliation means that’s what underlies his screed against him.

            Have you no shame, Dennis? Playing the anti-Semitic card should be too low even for a so-called college-educated conservative such as yourself, but you’ve managed to win the race to the bottom in this thread.

            Have a good life, Dennis.

          • Plunket

            Why do you feel the need to come to the rescue of the idiot kid, C+P? Wouldn’t it be better to let him stumble so he can learn?

            I know it’s in the liberal DNA to feel sorry for the less fortunate and you want to help him to the point of complete dependence, but do you really feel like it’s your responsibility to bail out the dumbshit doofus, even if he is just trying to be a smart-ass for kicks?

            It wasn’t a screed, either. It was a one-line false reference with a link, something you should be very familiar with. You try so hard to use words you don’t normally use to sound intelligent, but you have no clue what they mean, you just know you saw another commenter on another blog that you admire use them, so you think it might impress people to use them, and most times they just don’t work like you hoped. It’s kinda pathetic. Really.

            I mean, seriously, who ever refers to something as a screed in their everyday conversations? You write as if you’re reciting from a script you’ve never read before, forced, and awkward.

          • Zython

            Freaks you out that a Jewish conservative could be so successful at life, in his own finances and in his political career, doesn’t it, Zython?

            As a Jewish liberal with Jewish conservative relatives, not really, no.

            You’re exactly the reason why there’s so much financial disparity in this country.

            Yes, it’s all my fault. It has absolutely nothing to do with the weakening of unions or the pro-corporate narrative in the is country, it ME.

          • Plunket

            I know you’re Jewish. You can’t understand why other Jews would be conservative. You loathe ones that are exactly the opposite of you….. highly intelligent and successful in their financial affairs, their careers, their marriages, and their families. So you take jealous pot shots at them that in this case, shows how little you know about economics and personal investments. All you know is that some idiot from a far-left website wrote it so you assume it makes sense.

            There’s financial disparity in this country because of so many people like you, Zython. ‘Weakening of unions and a pro-corporate narrative’ or not, there’s always going to be idiots who can’t tell up from down and will always be stuck in a financial rut. Seriously, that example of the Treasury short fund i s beyond ignorance. It’s that you take pride in your ignorance. And people like that have no chance of financial success. They just play the lottery and hope assistance comes in the form of a check in the mail from the government.

          • Zython

            I know you’re Jewish.

            So are you a stalker or a sock puppet? Because I sure as hell never told anyone named Plunket that.

            You can’t understand why other Jews would be conservative.

            Sure I do. Same reason there are gay conservatives. They erroniously believe the religious right won’t throw them under the bus at a moment’s notice.

            You loathe ones that are exactly the opposite of you….. highly intelligent and successful in their financial affairs, their careers, their marriages, and their families. So you take jealous pot shots at them that in this case, shows how little you know about economics and personal investments.

            Justanotherrighty hasn’t posted in this thread in a while.

  • Zython

    Under pressure from Republicans

    So you don’t want an example of bipartisanship, you want an example where liberals conceded part of their platform not for the sake of betterment for the country, but to make Republicans feel good? Why should we give you guys anything? What have you done to earn it? TANSTAAFL.

    Vote changed as soon as the situation got sticky; just like Vietnam.

    Right, here’s an example of Republicans being given something for nothing. And you guys proceeded to show us why doing so is a terrible idea.

    Because don’t forget…Obama ate a dog.

    Better than that sicko masochist John McCain. Because, apparently, things beyond your control are completely voluntary.

    ObamaBOOM!

    That would mean something if Republicans actually cared about unemployment.

  • The Dark Avenger

    Don’t let facts get in the way of a great rant, Renfro:

    Reagan followed his 1981 tax cut with two large tax increases.[7] In 1982 Reagan agreed to a rollback of corporate tax cuts and a smaller rollback of individual income tax cuts. The 1982 tax increase undid a third of the initial tax cut. In 1983 Reagan instituted a payroll tax on Social Security and Medicare hospital insurance.[8]

    But that’s not all he did, folks:

    As a short-run strategy to reduce inflation and lower nominal interest rates, the U.S. borrowed both domestically and abroad to cover the Federal budget deficits, raising the national debt from $997 billion to $2.85 trillion.[15] This led to the U.S. moving from the world’s largest international creditor to the world’s largest debtor nation.[16] Reagan described the new debt as the “greatest disappointment” of his presidency.[17]

  • Justanotherrighty

    The confirmation of Justices Roberts, Scalia, & Alito.
    Are you saying that liberals “gave up” something when these men were nominated? What was it they gave up?
    Up above, you had “liberals” in quotes. Are you now conflating Democrats with liberals? And what of the Republican liberals?
    Sorry, but you have not met the challenge.
    You did come a hell of a lot closer than the amateurish attempt of Dark Avenger…

  • Justanotherrighty

    The right’s glee with today’s job numbers does not mean they want the economy in the shitter to better Frankenmitt’s election chances.
    No, actually, it doesn’t. It has to do with “I told you so,” and “The chickens coming home to roost,” “How’s that hopey changey thing workin’ out for ya’?”
    You know, stuff like that…

    The budget reconciliation of 1990 (check date) which actually balanced the budget & began reducing the deficit.
    Under pressure from Republicans

    The Welfare Reform Act of 1995 (check date)
    Under pressure from Republicans – to get Slick Willie reelected

    The 4 (check number) Reagan tax increases
    Riiiiiiiggghhhtt! Because we know how much conservatives like tax increases…

    The war on Iraq
    Vote changed as soon as the situation got sticky; just like Vietnam.

    The “Patriot Act”
    More government power and snooping into our privacy – what’s there for a liberal not to like ?

    The Immigration reform Act of 2006 (which failed due to conservative opposition but the “liberals” were cooperating with President Bush.)
    Because the “liberals” (what do the quotation marks mean? There are no such things as liberals?) wanted eased immigration laws, and so did Bush. So the liberals agreed with a liberal notion, and the conservatives disagreed. Which side of this argument are you trying to prove?
    More below …

  • Plunket

    “If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”

    – President Barack Obama on NBC’s “Today,” February 2, 2009

  • SaveFarris

    ObamaBOOM!

    • The Dark Avenger

      And you think Romney will be any better in 2013, SF?

      But Andrew Sum, a professor of economics at Northeastern University, says the unemployment rate fell only because people were leaving the workforce in droves during Romney’s term. Just one state had a bigger drop in its labor force during the same period, according to Sum — that was Louisiana, which was hit by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

      “There was not one measure where the state did well under his term in office. We were below average and often near the bottom,” said Sum, who is also the director of Northeastern’s Center for Labor Market Studies.

      Other states that never fully recovered from the 2001 downturn were Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, all industrial states that had lost scores of manufacturing jobs. Like those states, Massachusetts has been losing manufacturing jobs for more than a decade. And Romney was unable to stem the tide. At the end of 2002, just before he entered office, there were 338,000 manufacturing jobs in the state. By the time he left, there were 298,000, a drop of 12 percent, according to federal data.

      “Under his administration, Massachusetts lost a huge number of blue-collar jobs that provided an opportunity for the middle class,” said Sum, the Northeastern economist.

      Romney Boom 2013: “You won’t have to eat your pets. We promise.”

      • db

        DA,

        You’ve referred to “Justy” as Frank & Dennis. Are the two working in tandem or is there something I’m not aware of?

        • The Dark Avenger

          Justy is using the rhetoric and faulty reasoning skills as when he used to post under his real name of Frank DiSalle and used the same picture to represent himself.

          Plunket still demonstrates the same obsessive hatred and, again, rhetoric and faulty reasoning skills when he posted here as Dennis.

          I’m telling the truth about them, and if it angers them, so much the better.

      • Patrick Grady

        That’s pretty close, but actually it should read

        “Romney Boom 2013: “You won’t have to eat your pets (like Obama did). We promise.”

        Because don’t forget…Obama ate a dog.

      • SaveFarris

        You were probably hoping I wouldn’t click on the link…

        Widmer noted that it’s often hard to pin a state’s economic performance on a governor.

        “The job-creation record was weak. I don’t fault Romney for that. . . . There were larger economic conditions,” Widmer said.

        “The private sector is doing just fine.”

        • The Dark Avenger

          Let’s let the statistics tell the tale, SF:

          And, as Romney’s opponents have pointed out, the state ranked 47th in job creation during his term.

          As for Obama, I guess you don’t think that there are larger economic conditions to excuse him as you have for Romney.

          You’re not being very bright today, are you?

          • SaveFarris

            Has Karl Rove hacked Obama’s teleprompter?

            Because that’s the only way to explain…

            [Today’s Job’s Report] is a step in the right direction.

            We’ve turned another corner!

    • M2

      The right’s glee with today’s job numbers does not mean they want the economy in the shitter to better Frankenmitt’s election chances. No siree.

      • Patrick Grady

        Nor does the left’s attempt to excute the equivalent logical backflips that would convince us that hot weather causes the Sun mean that any of them are actually logical. No siree.

        Now…double-clutching the POST button…that’s a different story.

        • M2

          Right wing comedy isn’t dead.

    • M2

      The right’s glee with today’s job numbers does not mean they want the economy in the shitter to better Frankenmitt’s election chances. No siree.

  • db

    “Justy”,

    Including, but not limited to:

    The confirmation of Justices Roberts, Scalia, & Alito.
    The budget reconciliation of 1990 (check date) which actually balanced the budget & began reducing the deficit.
    The Welfare Reform Act of 1995 (check date)
    The 4 (check number) Reagan tax increases
    The war on Iraq
    The “Patriot Act”
    The Immigration reform Act of 2006 (which failed due to conservative opposition but the “liberals” were cooperating with President Bush.)

    Which gives me my dozen, counting the Justices & the tax increases individually

    QED

  • The Dark Avenger

    Question : Go back 50 years – that’s right, go back to 1962 – and find me one moment when a liberal reached out to a conservative, and offered to give up something …
    One moment.
    Just one …

    When Clarence Thomas was declared the “best candidate” to replace Thurgood Marshall on the Supreme Court, by the Reagan Administration, he was confirmed by a Democratic-controlled Senate, and has since established a record more as a mediocre conservative thinker, both on and off the bench.

    This has been another episode of “simple answers to simple questions.

    • Justanotherrighty

      Funny, I don’t remember it that way: Does the name “Anita Hill” ring a bell ?

      Mostly splitting along party lines, the committee defeated a motion to recommend his confirmation, but Thomas survived. (Only one Democrat, Dennis DeConcini of Arizona, voted in Thomas’s favor.) On Sept. 27, 1991, the committee voted to send his nomination to the floor without a recommendation. The Senate scheduled a vote on Thomas’s nomination for October 8, and Danforth believed Thomas would get about 67 votes. [Note: That was before Anita Hill entered the picture. ]
      * * *
      Feminist groups demanded that Democrats reopen the hearings, and Biden complied. What followed was a circus: days of testimony in which Hill enumerated Thomas’s supposed sexual transgressions and senators, awkwardly, asked Thomas to discuss them.
      To this day, Danforth recoils at the hatred that the feminist groups felt toward Thomas.
      * * *
      On Oct. 15, 1991, the Senate confirmed Thomas by the razor-thin margin of 52–48. The vote needn’t have been so close. “At least two of the top members on the Judiciary Committee told me they believed Thomas, but that they were going to vote against him. I was very disappointed,” Hatch says. In addition to those two, he avers, “Senator Kennedy knew Thomas was innocent. I believe he knew it.”
      Now, Thomas has been on the court for 20 years, and during that time, he has been the strongest practitioner of originalism. [emphasis added]

      And of course mediocre is code for “didn’t side with the left.”

      This has been another episode of “simple minded people pretending there are simple answers to complex questions.”

      But I am sure that since the politicians of the left practice that bipartisanship they are always asking of the right, that you’ll have no trouble finding dozens of examples of liberals’ cooperating with conservatives.
      Just look at how they acted in 2009 and 2010, when they controlled the House and the Senate. They were just oozing cooperation and camaraderie!

      • The Dark Avenger

        Mediocre describes his performance on the bench, Justanotherrighty, and one of his fellow conservatives has told us what a hypocrite he is:

        Stare decisis

        Thomas spoke favorably about the concept of stare decisis during his confirmation hearings, stating that “stare decisis provides continuity to our system, it provides predictability, and in our process of case-by-case decision making, I think it is a very important and critical concept.”[107] However, according to Antonin Scalia, Thomas “doesn’t believe in stare decisis, period.”[108] This assessment is supported by Thomas’s record on the bench: factoring in length of tenure, Thomas urged overruling and joined in overruling precedents more frequently than any other justice during the Rehnquist Court.[109]

        According to Scalia, Thomas is more willing to overrule constitutional cases: “If a constitutional line of authority is wrong, he would say let’s get it right. I wouldn’t do that.”[110] Thomas’s belief in originalism is strong; he has said, “When faced with a clash of constitutional principle and a line of unreasoned cases wholly divorced from the text, history, and structure of our founding document, we should not hesitate to resolve the tension in favor of the Constitution’s original meaning.”[111] Thomas believes that an erroneous decision can and should be overturned, no matter how old it is.[111]

        And of course, he’s shown a great regard for ethical behavior:

        In January 2011, the liberal advocacy group Common Cause reported that between 2003 and 2007 Thomas failed to disclose $686,589 in income earned by his wife from the Heritage Foundation, instead reporting “none” where “spousal noninvestment income” would be reported on his Supreme Court financial disclosure forms.[174] The following week, Thomas stated that the disclosure of his wife’s income had been “inadvertently omitted due to a misunderstanding of the filing instructions”.[175] Thomas amended reports going back to 1989.[176]

        He was a conservative who was confirmed by a not-conservative at the time Senate, Frank, I can understand why you’d be pissed off that I met your challenge, but then, stupid, pissed-off, and inaccurate is what we’ve come to expect from you around here.

  • Justanotherrighty

    The Left in re: Roberts (Jun 27) If Roberts rules out Obamacare, Supreme Court can no longer be trusted. America in danger, trampling on Constitution …
    The Left in re: Roberts (Jun 28) Roberts made the right decision, showing what a moderate he was, and his ability to put principles over partisanship…
    The Left in re: Roberts (Jun 29) Now that Roberts has written that one “moderate” decision, does that mean he now feels free to go back to being his right – wing partisan self?

    Question : Go back 50 years – that’s right, go back to 1962 – and find me one moment when a liberal reached out to a conservative, and offered to give up something …
    One moment.
    Just one …

    • db

      “Justy”,

      Given Phlunk’s penchant for word games & having neither the time nor desire to play them; please define your terms.

    • Zython

      DOMA.

  • Justanotherrighty

    We’re not here to make you feel good about yourselves.
    Using outcome – based assessment, I would say you’re not here for anything at all.

  • The Dark Avenger

    Oh, I’m able, I just didn’t. The results I got show very readily and very easily just how profusely and obsessively you copypasta that quote all over the place. You’re bizarrely obsessed about it, in fact, as anyone who glances at the first 2-3 pages out of the

    Yes, the fact that none of the results on the first page have me as a commentator should be ignored and forgotten.

    You should spend some time with your family, Dennis.

  • db

    Phlunk,

    “Since you think 9/11 was all Bush’s fault when it happened inside 8 months of his taking office then you should also blame Obama for unemployment still north of 8% a full 3 1/2 years after he’s taken office”.

    No.

    1. I don’t blam Shrub for 9/11. I blame him for focusing the US Terrorism assets on the (non-existent) Iraq-Terrorism connection.
    2. I don’t blame Shrub for 9/11 just as I don’t blame him for Hurricane Katrina. But in each case his administration botched ther response.
    3. 9/11 was a (blessedly) single series of events. Unemployment is an ongoing issue. Comparing the two issues is just silly.

    “nearly a trillion dollars of stimulus and we’re no better off now this many years later than what his projections were had we done nothing”

    1. Shrub started the stiimulus actions. We’ve dicussed this at the time & several time since. Rather than re-hash the issue I’d suggest you’d call up those threads. (DA thread is the right word?)
    2. There is absolutely no way of knowing what would have happened had either Presidents Bush or Obama “done nothing”. I can tell you from personal experience though; that there were some really disasterous speculations out there at the time.
    3. I can point to roads repaired (I-79) that have benefited from the ARRA.
    4. Private Sector employment is growing. Regrettably it is barely more than enough to offest the shrinking of Public Sector jobs.

    So my question to you is how much of your post did you really bel,ieve & how much was designed to start an argument. Do you really see reality differently?

    • The Dark Avenger

      Yes, thread is the correct term.

      Keep acting butthurt, Plunkett, perhaps you’ll reach this milestone someday:

      He’s not just butthurt, he’s butthurt so butthurt that it goes way beyond the butthurt we know into a whole different dimension of butthurt. We’re talkin trans-butthurt butthurt. Meta butthurt. Butthurt collapsed in on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Butthurt gotten so dense that no sense of dignity can possible escape. Singularity butthurt. Blazing mid-day sun on Mercury butthurt. Kitty litter box butthurt. He’s currently emitting more butthurt in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar butthurt. Nothing in our universe can really be this butthurt; unless he’s just some primordial fragment from the original big bang of butthurt. Some pure essence of a butthurt so completely uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I’m sorry, I can’t go on, this is just an epiphany of butthurt!

      • enlightened liberal

        Fortunately, because of the Obamacare reforms, butthurt is not excluded from new policy as a pre-existing condition. Good for teabaggers huh?

    • Plunket

      What is reality, db?

      • db

        Phlunk,

        Reality is something other than word games.

      • Christopher Foxx

        The core of the problem in a nutshell: Plunket has to ask.

        • db

          Or rather that Phlunk wants to play inane word games rather than have any potentially meaningful discussion of the issues.

          • Plunket

            db, wake up and smell the Peet’s. No one comes here for meaningful discussion. Activity only picks up when Democrats get a good result or a Republican says or does something very controversial. Then the mudslingers show up to taunt to see what kind of reaction they can get. Zython’s quote from the last thread impressively sums up the liberal commentariat here:

            “Hey, it pisses you off, so I must be doing something right.”

            He’s the poster child for your side here, db.

          • Zython

            Except that you guys get pissed off when we don’t feed your egos. We’re not here to make you feel good about yourselves. I know I don’t get paid nearly enough to do that.

  • Plunket

    I don’t do what do what you do. I doubt there is anyone in all of nutrootdom that does what you do within 10 standard deviations to the extreme copypasting you do.

    That means that of all the nutcases on all the nutcase far-left hot tub blogs, there is a special category for nutcases like you. An elite category, if you will.

    • The Dark Avenger

      I don’t do what do what you do. I doubt there is anyone in all of nutrootdom that does what you do within 10 standard deviations to the extreme copypasting you do.

      Yeah, like anyone around here gives a flying fuck about your opinion, Dennis.

      And here you are, a otherwise ‘reasonable’ conservative, unable to conduct a Google search without understanding the basic mathematics of treating a small group of words as a search string along with my mopnicker instead of trying to google the whole quote and my monicker.

      An elite category, if you will.

      Nothing elite about being a Bank VP, Plunket.

      • Plunket

        unable to conduct a Google search without understanding the basic mathematics of treating a small group of words as a search string along with my mopnicker instead of trying to google the whole quote and my monicker.

        Oh, I’m able, I just didn’t. The results I got show very readily and very easily just how profusely and obsessively you copypasta that quote all over the place. You’re bizarrely obsessed about it, in fact, as anyone who glances at the first 2-3 pages out of the

        Nothing elite about …

        That’s true. And what you need to understand, C+P, is that there’s no shame in house-husbanding. You need to be who you are and be damn proud of it because there’s no one else just like you. And that’s something.

        • The Dark Avenger

          Just like there’s nothing wrong with wearing a mustache and spending time on the internet denouncing someone you’ve never met instead using said time to spend it with your children and family.

          Would your late sister think this was a worthy use of your time, Dennis?

  • Plunket

    Here,C+P.

    Pages and pages of you posting obsessively the John Stuart Mill quote all over Amanda Marcotte’s cesspool,a nd here, and at the rest of your favorite nutroots hot tub blogs.

    That’s what I mean by copypasta trolling. And like I told you once before, you’re worse than the nutjobs who hold up the John 3:16 signs at golf tournaments and football games. The only difference between them and you, is that they don’t get all whiny and defensive about it and act all butthurt.

    • The Dark Avenger

      “It’s okay if I do it.”

      Shorter Plunkett.

    • The Dark Avenger

      “It’s okay if I do it.”

      Shorter Plunkett.

      Funny how your search doesn’t contain anything by me until the bottom of the second page.

      “This is your brain on Fox News. Any questions?”

  • The Dark Avenger

    Copypasta a quote from the author of “The True Believer”, Plunket?

    Why am I not surprised?

    “The less justified a man is in claiming excellence for his own self, the more ready he is to claim all excellence for his nation, his religion, his race or his holy cause.”

  • Plunket

    Since you left your other points undefended, I guess you concede they were lies. Also, since 9/11 was Clinton’s fault according to you guys, despite it happening in September of Bush’s first term, I take it you agree that the 10.2 rate in September of Obama’s term was the Bush’s fault. Wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite, would you?

    Since you think 9/11 was all Bush’s fault when it happened inside 8 months of his taking office then you should also blame Obama for unemployment still north of 8% a full 3 1/2 years after he’s taken office, unenlightened. But you don’t. You literally can’t. Nearly a trillion dollars of stimulus and we’re no better off now this many years later than what his projections were had we done nothing….and you still blame Bush…..as does he. If our economy gets weaker from here, as it appears it is, you’ll still blame Bush….despite the stimulus. There is no scenario where you wouldn’t blame Bush instead of the guy in office who’s been guessing at it and telling you all along that a recovery is just around the corner…feeding you pablum that you continue to just lap up and accept it when he blames everyone but himself.

    Wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite, would you?

    And I’m not namecalling Farris, he is objectively a douchebag.

    “Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength.”
    –Eric Hoffer

    • enlightened liberal

      Me? No. I didn’t take any position on blame. Just pointing out that when your ilk blames Obama for anything that happened since 1/20/09 (and in many cases before) the fingers point back on you.

      What does Etch a Sketch Romney have to offer to fix all these ills?

      • Plunket

        We don’t know that he can fix the ills. We don’t know that his plans will.

        We do know that Obama can’t, and that what he said would work, hasn’t. We know that three years ago he said by this time it would be all on him. Well, that was then.

        • enlightened liberal

          Well, the stimulus worked, despite the fact that it should have been bigger.
          Obama closed out the Iraq War.
          Took the initiative in ordering the operation that killed Osama bin Laden.
          Implemented comprehensive health care reform (formerly called Romneycare).
          Stock market almost doubled since its low 2 months after he took office.
          3 million new private sector jobs.

          All this despite a hostile Congress whose sole objective is to make Obama a 1-term President.
          So you admit Romney doesn’t have any ideas…so why would you vote for him?

          • enlightened liberal

            In other words, tell us why you will vote for Romney (not against Obama).

          • Plunket

            I didn’t admit he doesn’t have any ideas, I said we don’t know if his ideas will work. I understand your dishonesty, el. I’m used to it. I just don’t understand why you’d be so obvious about it on such a cheap point that gains you nothing.

            We have 8.2% unemployment and an economy that looks to be slowing again. It didn’t work.

            Why would you vote for him when you admit he didn’t to do enough to solve the problem?

          • Zython

            I didn’t admit he doesn’t have any ideas, I said we don’t know if his ideas will work.

            What are these new innovative ideas, pray tell. The Romney I’ve been listening to just wants to give the corporations people that got us into this mess more free money.

            We have 8.2% unemployment

            7.9% as of this posting.

            Why would you vote for him when you admit he didn’t to do enough to solve the problem?

            A few reasons.

            1. He’s done plenty of things that I like. Ledbetter act, PPACA, withdrawing from Iraq, killing Bin Laden, to name a few.

            2. While Romney’s plans are vague at best, he’s definitely running on the platform of running the U.S. like a corporation. Which, given his record at Bain Capital, can’t mean anything good for most people.

            3. The only truthful statement Romney has said this entire election cycle is “I’m Mitt Romney, and I’m running for President.”, and I’m not quite 100% sure of that.

          • Plunket

            7.9% as of this posting. ==Zython

            It’s 8.2% as of this posting.

          • Zython

            Well, here’s my source, which takes June into account.

          • Plunket

            See, Zython, that proves what a p.o.s. schoolboy punk you are. And someone who takes great pride in playing the part.

            The BLS figure is the one used for speaking about the US unemployment rate. When Gallup was showing a number 1-2 full percentage points higher than the BLS number, it was reported, but it was also reported as being the Gallup polling number. You didn’t do that, even when you knew you were correcting the commonly used BLS number.

            I’d bet dollars to donuts that you could google for the rest of the day and you wouldn’t find a post of yours anywhere, here or at Marcotte/Pandagon, where you quoted the Gallup number when it showed a higher figure than the BLS number since Obama’s been in office. Proof you’re a dishonest sleazebag.

          • Zython

            See, Zython, that proves what a p.o.s. schoolboy punk you are. And someone who takes great pride in playing the part.

            Jesus Christ, calm the fuck down. All I did was point out that I was using a different source that updated differently, that’s all.

            Take a Tylenol and call me in the morning.

          • Plunket

            That’s a lie. It’s not all you did. All you did was correct the current unemployment rate falsely.

            When called on it you then stated you used another metric, or a poll, actually, that in no way is a commonly used one, not even close. The only way it could be ‘all I did” was if you had stated up front that Gallup was your source and it was their polling number, but you weren’t honest enough to do that.

            You’re big on claiming you prove things here. The only thing you end up proving is what a clown you are.

          • Zython

            So you’re upset that I used a source you don’t personally approve of?

            When called on it you then stated you used another metric, or a poll, actually, that in no way is a commonly used one, not even close.

            1. Wait, so Gallup isn’t a “commonly used poll” now?

            2. That’s an appeal to popularity. You have done nothing, besides throwing a temper tantrum, of course, that my source is inaccurate.

            The only way it could be ‘all I did” was if you had stated up front that Gallup was your source and it was their polling number

            You never stated your source until I contradicted it. I guess IOKIYAR? (Wow, DA’s right, you ARE Dennis…)

          • SaveFarris

            Zython compares apples to hamburgers, but yet I’m the one that’s supposed to apoligize?!?

            Oh, and even Zython’s “noone on the planet uses this metric but me” metric is back over 8%.

            You owe us an apology, mr. Z.

          • Zython

            Zython compares apples to hamburgers…

            Oh, and even Zython’s “noone on the planet uses this metric but me”…

            I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of yourself here.

            “Forget the government’s wildy used measure”, indeed.

            You owe us an apology, mr. Z.

            I wrote:

            7.9% as of this posting.

            So, yes, I apologize that you can’t read.

            I’m the one that’s supposed to apoligize?!?

            You wrote:

            Passing one of the largest tax increases in history, borne almost exclusively on backs of the poor and unemployed.

            Did you not? This is a lie. So yes, you should apologize.

          • Zython

            Rather than simply link a source proving that your statement in my previous post was false, I have a much more fun idea.

            Take this quick quiz, Farris (only 10 true/false questions), and tell us your score (no lying). Here’s a hint: Two questions cover the part I bolded in the previous post, and the answers are not what you think.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Plunket: Since you think 9/11 was all Bush’s fault when it happened inside 8 months of his taking office …

      Well, let’s see.
      – Bush was the President.
      – He’d been the President for a while.
      – He’d disregarded the warnings given to him by the prior administration.

      You’re right! Clearly it was Carter’s fault!

      • Plunket

        You just said you weren’t taking a position on blame. That didn’t last long, did it?

        • Christopher Foxx

          Riiight. I blamed Carter. Clearly I was serious about picking a scapegoat.

          (Actually what I was doing was pointing out Bush does deserve some blame. But I admire your consistency in missing the point.)

        • Christopher Foxx

          Plunket: You just said you weren’t taking a position on blame.

          Show me where I did that, liar.

          • Plunket

            That was unenlightened. Sorry, you’re both spitball throwers, it’s hard to tell you apart.

          • Christopher Foxx

            IOW, your mistake is our fault. Got it.

            (sigh. Typical.)

          • Plunket

            Whenever a liberal starts a sentence with ‘IOW’ or ‘So’, there’s a 100% probability that what comes next will be a lie.

            I said sorry. There is no ‘IOW’, unless you wish to dishonestly make something up, which you did. If you look at every one of these mini-threads, it’s the same people who come in for nothing other than to throw spitballs. Yeah, it is hard to tell you apart….other than Zython’s denseness, C+P’s psychotic weirdness, and db’s pretend naivete, the rest of you are fairly generic hecklers that all tend to just blend into the woodwork here.

          • Christopher Foxx

            At least we’re all actually different people, Dennis.

          • Christopher Foxx

            IOW, Plunket is always right and we’re all stupid.

          • Plunket

            So, in other words, what you’re really saying is that you’re a dishonest dirtbag, isn’t that right, Christopher?

          • Christopher Foxx

            Plunket: Whenever a liberal starts a sentence with ‘IOW’ or ‘So’, there’s a 100% probability that what comes next will be a lie.

            CFoxx: IOW, Plunket is always right and we’re all stupid.

            Plunket: So, in other words, what you’re really saying is that you’re a dishonest dirtbag,

            Some people say Plunket is incapable of understanding the simplest things. I can’t imagine why.

  • enlightened liberal

    Since you left your other points undefended, I guess you concede they were lies. Also, since 9/11 was Clinton’s fault according to you guys, despite it happening in September of Bush’s first term, I take it you agree that the 10.2 rate in September of Obama’s term was the Bush’s fault. Wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite, would you?

    And I’m not namecalling Farris, he is objectively a douchebag.

    • SaveFarris

      I take it you agree that the 10.2 rate in September of Obama’s term was the Bush’s fault.

      Unless, of course, the new President, in his very first days in office, trumpeted the largest spending bill in history as something that was needed “immediately”, “urgently” and couldn’t wait another day to be passed, so important it was in righting the economic ship.

      …If you do that, and the ship doesn’t turn around immediately, like you promised it would, then yes, you get to be held accountable.

      • M2

        It was so ineffective unemployment went down.

        • SaveFarris

          8.2% < 7.8%?

          You're a math wizard!

          • M2

            The stimulus worked. You guys will be able to admit it one day. Maybe after the butthurt swelling goes down after Mitt’s upcoming incredible loss.

  • M2

    Subjective? No, the right is full of whiny little titty babies. That’s a stone cold fact.

  • Justanotherrighty

    Not to dispute what’s been said about them, but rather to acknowledge it.
    How does one deny an entirely subjective accusation, with no support in fact?
    Will this do?:
    Oliver, M2 and Christopher Foxx are full of crap. Really, they are!

    • Christopher Foxx

      Yes, but we have regular bowel movements while in your case the crap comes out the other end.

  • Justanotherrighty

    Sorry, symbolism is an unserious and invalid form of expression.
    You are a joke. If you seriously believe that symbolism has no role in politics, you have either been tragically misinformed, or you lack the ability to perceive the obvious.
    But I may be wrong; you may not be a joke. Perhaps you’re a tragedy ….

    Passing one of the largest tax increases in history, borne almost exclusively on backs of the poor and unemployed.
    That reminds me, are you ever going to apologize for being stupid.
    Zython, are you ever going to stop being a jerk? You’re not funny; you’re not clever; as I said before, you’re not even good at being a wiseass.
    Stop it. Just stop it.

    • enlightened liberal

      Hey, don’t attack Zython- when you keep posting talking point lies here, he assumes you must be stupid. Who else would post things that are so easily debunked? He’s not the only one that thinks you’re stupid.

  • Zython

    I will simply point out that politics involves symbolism,

    Sorry, symbolism is an unserious and invalid form of expression. Try again.

    Passing one of the largest tax increases in history, borne almost exclusively on backs of the poor and unemployed.

    That reminds me, are you ever going to apologize for being stupid. I know you think it’s “cute” and “folksy”, but in reality it gets people killed.

  • SaveFarris

    The right had the White House, House, Senate, and the Federal Judiciary. In the game of American political power, there isn’t much more to achieve.

    And yet, that pales in comparison to the power Democrats had between 2009-2011, when they had not only those 4 things, but their Senate majority was filibuster proof. And what did they accomplish?

    * 10% unemployment
    * Quadrupling the deficit.
    * Running up an “unpatriotic” amount of debt in half the time.
    * Passing one of the largest tax increases in history, borne almost exclusively on backs of the poor and unemployed.
    * Failing for the first time in modern history to pass an annual budget.
    * Adding to the entitlement tsumani instead of reforming them to prevent bankruptcy within the decade.

    Quite a Carter-esque level of FAIL all around. … Four more years?!?

    • Christopher Foxx

      Notice how Farris doesn’t dispute anything that was said. Best he can come up with is the usual dodge of “but-but-but look at what your guys did!”.

      (That he then also has his “facts” wrong is expected. After all, it’s Farris.)

      • M2

        (That he then also has his “facts” wrong is expected. After all, it’s Farris.) C. Fox

        My favorite fudgery is the 10% unemployment figure. Er, no and what number did good ole George leave us with in that department? SF and co. never, ever say. Same with the cost of the Iraq war. I guess we paid for all of that under Bush, huh?

        Asswipes.

        • enlightened liberal

          Farris is a douchebag, always has been.

        • M2

          Oh, and how could I forget ? Another member of the OW Trolleratti thinks that mentioning the fact that our current President inherited growing unemployment via a financial disaster is scapegoating the previous POTUS.

          The party of personal responsibility just thinks they’re entitled to lie with impunity.

        • db

          EL,

          I think the definition of “Judicial Activism” is striking down “your side’s stuff”. The Republicans are against that. Striking down the other guy’s stuff is “defending the Constitution”.

        • SaveFarris

          You disagree with the 10% figure? You might want to contact these guys.

          And, of course, EL argues with name calling instead of facts. Don’t ever change, my man!

          • M2

            Thank you, Farris. You are correct and I was wrong. Last I read, it peaked at 9.6 percent. So I thank you because the actual figure bolsters the case that the stimulus worked and worked even better than I thought. But oddly, you left out the unemployment # President Obama inherited from his predecessor and when his stimulus provisions went into effect and the scope of the crisis he inherited the same year you can quote the highest the unemployment rate reached. Really,that’s all you can do?

            I wonder why?

            That’s today’s Republican party folks. Farris is a mirror to his congressional heroes. People who would rather play stupid fucking games while his fellow American struggles.

            But thanks again for the correct number, Farris. It’s been, once again, illuminating reading your posts.

          • Christopher Foxx

            thanks …, Farris. It’s been, once again, illuminating reading your posts.

            No. Really not.

    • enlightened liberal

      Citations needed.

  • Christopher Foxx

    They see themselves as perpetual victims. It’s really quite sad, actually.

    That they declared themselves also to be the party of personal responsibility just shows how deluded (if they actually believe what they’re saying (Palin, Bush)) or immoral (if they now they’re lying but just don’t care (Limbaugh, Cheney)) they are.

  • Justanotherrighty

    I could say, “When you have a whining baby in the White House , he sets the standard,” but I won’t. I will simply point out that politics involves symbolism, and symbolism involves scapegoats. For three years His Majestyness has chosen new scapegoats and new villains with astonishing speed and regularity.
    In true liberal fashion, you hate to see your tactics turned on you.

    • M2

      Yes, scapegoating. Sure.

      Remember folks, next time you elect a Republican, they’re not responsible for anything they do, including inflicting bodily harm to the body politic while in office and they’re certainly not responsible for any lingering effects or consequences of their actions. You’re scapegoating and victimizing these great, useless patriots when you point this out.

      The right wing = completely and utterly useless.

    • Christopher Foxx

      Notice that the first resort is instead to “but you’re guys do it, too!”

      Not to dispute what’s been said about them, but rather to acknowledge it.

  • M2

    They are America’s martyrs. No one suffers like they do, or whines like a bitch louder.

  • SaveFarris

    Never mind the idea that John Roberts upheld the Heritage Foundation’s health care mandate.

    There’s, like, 18 different false statements in that one sentence alone.

    • enlightened liberal

      Which is why you can’t even mention one.

      • db

        What was the quote, “Every word was a lie including “the””?

        Don’t get too worked up EL, John Roberts is still what I’d call a Radical Conservative. It’s just with the extreme actions some of the Justices have taken on the issue i.e. Thomas’s wife being paid by an anti-ACA group, Scalia’s honing his political “stump speach”, & hob-nobbing with the (now former) Vice-President; Roberts’ Court was taking a political hue unknown in memory. He didn’t want to see calls for the Republican Apointees to replace “The Five” on Fox.

        • enlightened liberal

          I agree. John Roberts is a disgrace. That even he worried about the legacy of his court tells you how far around the bend the right-wing movement has gone.

          On the other hand, by not overturning this law passed by Congress and signed by the President, Roberts struck a blow against “Judicial Activism.” Isn’t that something that conservatives used to be against?