Glenn Greenwald Attacks Writers for Supporting Iraq War When he did too

In an otherwise entertaining attack on Thomas Friedman’s latest piece of drivel about Syria, moral crusader Glenn Greenwald goes after the NYTs columnist for covering up the fact that he supported the war in Iraq – a war he supported too and barely ever talks about:

The reality is that almost everything Tom Friedman says on Iraq is designed to make people forget his actual, candidly expressed views about why he thought the war was just — probably the most viscerally repellent comments anyone with a large mainstream platform has spouted in the last decade.

I don’t mind Greenwald pointing this out, but when was the last time you heard Greenwald talk about his faith in the Bush Administration’s wisdom after 9/11? Yep, that’s right. Virtually never.

I’m astonished at Greenwald’s complete lack of self awareness on issues like this. His entire blog is devoted to attacking the Left for crimes he himself is guilty of supporting without the faintest whiff of acknowledgement. It’s a perfect example of cognitive dissonance, and one that has allowed Greenwald to lecture everyone else without feeling the slightest bit ridiculous.

UPDATE: Check here to see Greenwald’s furious and completely disingenuous denial that he supported the Iraq war.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag

Fox News Thinks 'The Interview' Flap Is Obama's Fault

Fox News Thinks 'The Interview' Flap Is Obama's Fault

  • truth_machine

    From Ben’s own link above: ”
    I supported the Iraq War and/or George Bush

    These claim [sic] are absolutely false. They come from a complete distortion of the Preface I wrote to my own 2006 book, How Would a Patriot Act? That book – which was the first book devoted to denouncing the Bush/Cheney executive power theories as radical and lawless – was published a mere six months after I began blogging, so the the purpose of the Preface was to explain where I had come from, why I left my law practice to begin writing about politics, and what my political evolution had been..

    The whole point of the Preface was that, before 2004, I had been politically apathetic and indifferent – except for the work I was doing on constitutional law. That’s because, while I had no interest in the fights between Democrats and Republicans, I had a basic trust in the American political system and its institutions, such that I devoted my attention and energies to preventing constitutional violations rather than political debates…” — Read the whole thing to see how dishonest it is cite that preface as evidence that Greenwald supported the Iraq War.

  • Barry Schwartz

    This criticism is completly off base: unlike Tom Friedman, Glenn Greenwald never, ever, has candidly expressed his views.

  • Nickel

    Your kidding right? You provided no links/evidence supporting any claim you made. You’re obviously not familiar with Glenn’s writings/books. Supported the Iraq war? What planet are you on?

    • Benthedailybanter

      It’s in his book Nickel (although Greenwald has since tried to claim that he wasn’t saying what he was saying: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/30/1182442/-Glenn-Greenwald-Responds-to-Widespread-Lies-About-Him-on-Cato-Iraq-War-and-more). The link is provided.

      • Edo

        Perhaps he was right. And perhaps he attacks the standpoint to support the Iraq war, and it really doesn’t matter that he had a different viewpoint in the past.

      • truth_machine

        So again you provide no evidence, “It’s in his book” certainly is not evidence. “The link is provided” certainly is not evidence. That Greenwald “has since tried to” claim that he wasn’t saying what you claim he was saying certainly isn’t evidence. All the evidence here suggests that you’re a lying sack of offal.

    • Barry Schwartz

      At best for Glenn, he fails to acknowledge his responsibility as a citizen of the United States who speaks with his vote and his rights of speech and assembly. He credits Friedman with candor, while himself engaging in what we used to call ‘plausible deniability’. He is in no position to judge others and his doing so should not be tolerated by the audience.

  • http://www.facebook.com/matt.ball.710 Matt Ball

    The worst thing is when GG attacks people who *opposed* the Iraq war about their “support” for the war!

  • http://profiles.google.com/statueofmike Michael S

    Cognitive dissonance is when you feel bad about your contradictory beliefs. Greenwald is just being inconsistent and unreliable.