Colorado Bat Man Movie Shootings Shock America

President Obama speaks to the nation on the horrific shooting in a movie theater in Colorado that has seen a total of 12 people killed and 71 injured:

From the Huffington Post:

Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates, in a briefing with reporters on Friday afternoon, said that 71 people had been shot in total and 12 had been killed during shootings at an area movie theater early Friday morning. Two of the victims died at area hospitals, while 10 were killed at the scene of the crime.

Oates confirmed that the suspected shooter was James Eagan Holmes, who entered the theater during a screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” dressed in all black and with heavy body armor. He is believed to have used three weapons and had four with him in total. An assault rifle, a shotgun, and a .40-caliber Glock were found in the theater. Another handgun was found in Holmes’ car, which was parked at the back of the theater.

According to Oates, Holmes allegedly set off two devices to distract the crowd. The devices let out an “irritant or smoke.” He then started shooting. Some rounds, according to Oates, penetrated “into an adjoining theater” and hit one person.

The first call of a shooting came in 39 minutes after midnight, and police were on the scene between one and one-and-a-half minutes. Oates estimated 25 officers in total responded. Holmes was arrested in the back of the theater and “surrendered without any significant incident for our officers,” Oates said.

“We are not looking for any other suspects,” he said. “We are confident that he acted alone.”

Oates declined repeatedly to speculate on motive. He noted that Holmes had no prior criminal record, save a speeding ticket. He said the department had already conducted 200 interviews. He also said he could not answer a question about the legality of the weapons involved.

Enhanced by Zemanta