Shouting at the President = Good, Saying 'Vagina' = Bad

Screen shot 2012-06-18 at 7.47.36 AM

By Bob Cesca: Far-right conservatives have always been prone to spastic outbursts and confrontational behavior. Generally speaking, they play by the "shoot first, ask questions later" rule. It's the nature of reactionaries.

They react from their gut, and so this character flaw manifests itself in a variety of ways. Unnecessary wars, racist remarks, "stand your ground" gun laws and, of course, the total unhinging of the American right that's taken place since an African American liberal won the 2008 election. Since the proto-tea-party rallies outside of Sarah Palin campaign events during which white reactionaries shouted gibberish about Barack Obama's religious affiliation, his birth certificate, his "terrorist pals," and his apparent support for communism while also brandishing effigies and disgusting Curious George props, far-right conservatives have engaged in an ongoing competition to see just how over-the-top they can get with their screechings. Machine gun signs, witch doctor and Hitler themed posters and Southern Strategy dog whistles have followed throughout the president's first term.

One of the most memorable incidents occurred during the President Obama's healthcare reform address to a joint session of Congress when Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) shouted "you lie!" at the president and stunned the chamber with his obnoxious and disrespectful behavior. But of course he was only really pandering to the loud, unhinged tone of the tea party Republicans who had been shouting and flailing at the president for a couple of years by that time.

Ultimately, Joe Wilson's outburst was lionized by anti-Obama conservatives.

So it's no surprise that Daily Caller reporter Neil Munro upped the ante on Friday by interrupting the president's prepared remarks about immigration -- not with two words, but with an on-going rant. He just stood up and just started shouting at the president right in the middle of the speech. Daily Called editor-in-chief (a title far exceeding the man holding the position) Tucker Carlson commended Munro's completely unprofessional and disrespectful display by saying, "We’re proud of Neil Munro."

Munro defended himself by scolding the president for never taking questions after his remarks. So he decided to projectile vomit his unserious questions at the president right in the middle of the speech. I seriously believe this plan of attack makes Munro the official recipient of the Shittiest Correspondent Ever award. (While I'm here, I also want to know how the perpetually mendacious Daily Caller shoehorned itself into the White House press corp.)

Clearly it's acceptable conservative behavior to shout things at the president during formal gatherings. Simply put, it's because many conservatives don't believe President Obama is a legitimate president even though he won the 2008 election with a 53 percent majority. But, you know, he's black and not a real American so... illegitimate! Heckle away!

Conversely, you know what's absolutely unacceptable to conservatives?

Saying "vagina" on the floor of the Michigan state house.

The day before Munro's Tourette's outburst, Rep. Lisa Brown ended her very persuasive floor speech in opposition to an utterly paleoconservative piece of anti-choice legislation which, among other things, bans all abortions after 20 weeks, including when the mother's life is in danger, by saying, "I’m flattered that you are all so interested in my vagina, but No means No!"

Oh holy hell! Vagina!

For using the proper and correct medical term for a female sex organ in the context of a speech in opposition to laws that regulate a woman's usage of that sex organ, the "small government, anti-regulation" Republicans, led by House Speaker Jase Bolger, punished Brown by barring her from speaking during additional debates over totally unrelated legislation.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

The word "vagina" = bad. Shouting crazy nonsense at the president (and all the rest of their tasteless, disrespectful, racist crapola) = good.

What does this tell us? The modern conservatives are batshit crazy. They're out of their gourds. They're the crew from Nurse Wratched's psych ward on a good day. We've known this for a while, but it's getting especially thick now. The real question is this: who is going to make this case to independent, moderate voters who are considering a vote for these mental patients in the Fall? Beginning right now, a serious case has to be made that the Republicans, currently under the spell of the far-right tea party faction, are unfit for office and can only be allowed to return when they're prepared to engage on, at the very least, a rational level.

Enhanced by Zemanta