Shocker: Paedophiles Using Children’s Website

Children's virtual games: Not so innocent

From Channel 4 News:

Seemingly innocent, Habbo Hotel, with its bright colours, pink teddy bears, flashing lights, and roaming ponies, is one of a growing number of virtual worlds created for kids. And with 10 million unique visitors a month, it is “the world’s largest social game and online community for teenagers”.

The game is set in a virtual hotel, where kids create avatars with which they can move around rooms, chat to other users in public or privately and even buy credits in the real world to furnish their virtual hotel room.

Channel 4 News producer Rachel Seifert spent two months playing this seemingly innocent game posing as a young girl. She found alongside the balloons and teddies, chats and interactions of an explicit sexual nature. The ease with which this happened was shocking.

Rachel said: “The chat was very sexual, perverse, violent, pornographic, overtly sexual acts, people saying they were going to do things to others, and it was very graphic.

“Within two minutes I was being asked individually ‘do you have a webcam?’, ‘can we chat on (instant messenger service) MSN, on Skype?’ I was also within a couple of minutes asked to strip, fully naked, and asked what would I do on a webcam.”

Rachel played the game 50 times and on each occasion had similar experiences.

Watch the shocking report from the UK’s Channel 4 below:

Enhanced by Zemanta

MEMBERS ONLY: To Boldly Go Where WhiteHouse.gov Dares Not!

MEMBERS ONLY: To Boldly Go Where WhiteHouse.gov Dares Not!

Happy Monday, my faithful Banterduckens, and welcome to this week's Members Only visit to the White Read more...
Alabama Bill Would Allow Children To Possess Handguns Because That's a Great Idea

Alabama Bill Would Allow Children To Possess Handguns Because That's a Great Idea

Alabama might rank 49th in K-12 public education, but soon the kids in the state's school system couRead more...
Here's How Scientology Is Trying (and Failing) To Control the Damage Done by <em>Going Clear</em>

Here's How Scientology Is Trying (and Failing) To Control the Damage Done by Going Clear

If you watched Going Clear last night on HBO, you know how powerful it was. The Alex Gibney documentRead more...