Mitt Romney Was For the Stimulus Before he was Against it

Mitt Romney has made attacking Obama's stimulus package a central theme of his campaign. A proponent of austerity, Romney now claims that only tax cuts for the rich and reduced government spending can save the economy. However, interviews he did while George Bush was in office are now surfacing showing a completely different Romney with a completely different economic philosophy. A couple of quotes that could come back and haunt the Republican presidential candidate:

On the spending front, infrastructure projects should be a high priority. But because infrastructure projects involve engineering, environmental studies, permitting and contracting, they can take a long time to actually boost the economy. Spending to refurbish and modernize our military equipment is urgently needed, and it has a more immediate impact on the economy. A great deal of our armament was damaged or lost in the Middle East, and the rest is long overdue for maintenance.....

We should also invest to free us from our dependence on foreign oil, not by playing venture capitalist, but by funding basic research in renewables, material science, combustion, nuclear reprocessing, and the like. During the 2008 campaign, virtually every candidate agreed on the need for an “Apollo-like mission” to achieve energy independence. Now is the time to start.

No doubt Romney will continue to lie his way out of this, but it's great cannon fodder for Obama as his portrayal of Romney as an out of touch flip flopper looks more and more accurate.

Enhanced by Zemanta