John Edwards Gets Off

John Edwards: Former Presidential candidate now a free man

Former Senator John Edwards’ affair and child out of wedlock derailed a political rise that put him on the Democrats’ 2004 White House ticket, but the one-time trial lawyer held his head high on Thursday after a North Carolina jury delivered his most personal victory yet.

Twelve jurors in the state Edwards represented in the U.S. Senate from 1999 to 2005 acquitted him on one count of accepting illegal campaign contributions given during his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination four years ago.

U.S. District Judge Catherine Eagles declared a mistrial on five other counts because the jury was deadlocked about whether Edwards, 58, took money from two wealthy donors to keep voters from learning he was cheating on his cancer-stricken wife, Elizabeth, with a campaign videographer.

The jury’s decision on the ninth day of deliberations capped a nearly six-week-long trial that included salacious testimony more befitting of a soap opera than a campaign for the country’s highest political office.

Jurors heard about tawdry affair details, furtive phone calls and secret donor checks written under the guise of buying furniture, as former campaign workers and supporters painted an unflattering portrait of Edwards.

The trial’s outcome marked yet another dramatic turn of events for the two-time presidential hopeful who beat a Republican incumbent senator in his first political race and became the Democrats’ vice presidential nominee just six years later.

As the jury’s verdict was read, Edwards, who did not testify during the trial and faced possible fines and prison time if convicted, slumped back in his seat in relief.

Later, standing in front of the federal courthouse in Greensboro, he maintained his innocence and choked up as he spoke of his affection for the 4-year-old daughter he fathered with then-mistress Rielle Hunter.

“While I do not believe I did anything illegal, or ever thought I was doing anything illegal, I did an awful, awful lot that was wrong, and there is no one else responsible for my sins,” he said, flanked by his parents and 30-year-old daughter, Cate, who stood by him throughout the proceedings.

“I am responsible, and if I want to find the person who should be held accountable for my sins, honestly I don’t have to go any further than the mirror. It’s me. It is me and me alone.”

Read more at Reuters…

Enhanced by Zemanta

Trevor Noah's Tweets Are Haunting Him Because the Internet Needs To Get a Life

Trevor Noah's Tweets Are Haunting Him Because the Internet Needs To Get a Life

I was pretty excited that Trevor Noah was chosen as the new host of The Daily Show because of his veRead more...
Hillary Clinton Pseudo-Group Goes After Lawrence O'Donnell For Coded Sexism

Hillary Clinton Pseudo-Group Goes After Lawrence O'Donnell For Coded Sexism

On Thursday, we reported on the mainstream media's uncritical fascination with an alleged group of pRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The GOP's Budget Isn't About Saving Money. It's About Inflicting Pain

MEMBERS ONLY: The GOP's Budget Isn't About Saving Money. It's About Inflicting Pain

What is fiscal conservatism? Officially, it's the language of serious-minded politicians everywheRead more...