Federal Government Drops Charges Against John Edwards

John Edwards listening to a question at a camp...

John Edwards: Off the hook (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

From YahooNews:

The Justice Department announced Wednesday it will give up its criminal case against former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards.

In May, a deadlocked North Carolina federal jury found Edwards not guilty of one charge of accepting illegal campaign donations. The group couldn’t reach a decision on five other felony charges, including one alleging that Edwards knowingly used $1 million in secret campaign donations from wealthy donors to support his mistress. Edwards could have faced 30 years in prison if convicted.

Assistant Attorney General Lanny A. Breuer said in a statement that the Justice Department put forward its best case. “The jurors could not reach a unanimous verdict on five of the six counts of the indictment, however, and we respect their judgment. In the interest of justice, we have decided not to retry Mr. Edwards on those counts.”

The prosecution was short on proof that Edwards knew about the payments or that he knew that accepting them was illegal. “As noted by nearly every campaign finance lawyer who considered the matter, this was a lousy case,” Melanie Sloan, director of the campaign finance watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics told the Associated Press after the trial. “All the salacious details prosecutors offered up to prove that Edwards is, indeed, despicable, were not enough to persuade the jury to convict him.”

A copy of the dismissal order can be found here.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Here's Where You Can Shove Your Paleo Diet

Here's Where You Can Shove Your Paleo Diet

I do CrossFit. Wait, let me clarify that: I do CrossFit on and off, in between periods of barely beiRead more...
Bill O'Reilly Has a F*cked Up Murder-Obsessed Mind

Bill O'Reilly Has a F*cked Up Murder-Obsessed Mind

When it was revealed that Bill O'Reilly probably lied about killings he'd seen while reporting on thRead more...
Mall of America Terror Threat Still Can't Budge Gun Show Loophole

Mall of America Terror Threat Still Can't Budge Gun Show Loophole

Over the weekend, Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson mildly freaked a few people out by tellRead more...